1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD posts Q3 loss

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Chicken76

Chicken76 Member

This figure does include ATi earnings, doesn't it? Is AMD really doing that bad these days?

3. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Freaking printers!

They will need to get some better products for the high end market. At the moment it is just not good enough.

4. Cool_CR

Cool_CR New Member

Yes there in the toilet but look on the bright side they only need to make 7.3% more money or spend that amount less to be in the black. There no where near the mess this country is in.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

My questions are what the hell is going on at AMD and why do they always offer bad financial news with spin on how good a future product is going to be?

6. ian8415

ian8415 New Member

but ATI have been GPU top dog for a while doesn't that count?

7. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Member

What concerns me here is that with the acquisition of ATI a while back (which probably should of been a merger with Nvidia at the time), just befor then, since the release of the first Athlon 64 cpu's, this company was the CPU of choice among consumers raking in record profits (versus cost of manufacturing) - 4yrs of being at the top and gaining market share on Intel (sales were almost 50/50 in public market for these cpu's at one point) has been totally destroyed.

Maybe the company was never financially strong enough to of been able to purchase ATI, relied too heavily on credit (on which the credit crunch ensued compounding the matters) to make up the shortfall and is now in a situation where it really has to pull of some stunning results to be in a position to release itself of the debt it owes?

Sadly 10months worth of sales of a decent array of graphics cards simply is not enough - it's possible they are selling cpu's at much lower margins, the graphics cards are probably the only thing keeping the place alive right now.

I am a massive fan of AMD and sincerely hope that the new 2011 cpu architecture can take the fight to Intel and beyond.

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

most consumers still buy nvidias...

9. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

that heaven benchmark on the 6800 series seems pretty good.. don't really look at amd cpu's since the conroe- used to be all amd before that.. intel was such a rip with the p4

10. robots

robots New Member

This probably takes ATI in to account too, AMD is the main company after all.

It could turn around quite easily for them. They are making a loss but it's only 118m. When your revenue is $1.62 billion, that's not the end of the world. If they take over in the tablet market that would be a huge deal. It would be nice if they had some proper CPU's for the desktop market though too... Intel seem to have run away with the ball thanks to their c2d and now i3-7 chips. I'd like to see some more competition in that market.

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

This. A lot of those el cheapo Dells and HPs will have low end Nvidia products. Individually they may all be cheap and slow, but the volume of them being sold makes up for that.

The high end where we're all watching is a relatively small sector with regards to profit. AMD may arguably lead the enthusiast market (Yeah, the GTX460 isn't bad but having one decent card after months of being behind in every sector except the "top end without regards to cost" market isn't exactly something to be proud of) but the real money is from selling thousands of low end cards to third parties.

12. tristanperry

tristanperry Active Member

Bad news for AMD.

But hey, at least Dirk Meyer has a nice smile.

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I really hope AMD pull something out of the hat, and soon.

14. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. New Member

AMD gpu division is on a roll and are 50/50 with Nvidia or better as far as quality of hardware and pricing. AMD GPU's have placed themselves in a position to crush Nvidia between their HD5000 and HD6000

AMD CPu division is getting hammered by Intel. Even though AMD offers the best bang for buck and the cheapest prices ever. Most will buy Intel because
    A. Intel is in every PC, Laptop, or whatever you pull off the shelve or
    B. The pure DOMINANCE in performance warrants the extra cost and people will pay for the best especially when it DOMINATES like Intel does. (makes no sense to buy AMD when you view benchmarks and the top 7 chips are Intel followed by one AMD then 4 more Intels).

I like AMD but their business tactics are lagging. They have got to be way more aggressive and get their chips into way more high profile electronics before Intel does. They have got to beat Intel in performance just so more people will realize Intel isn't the only chip maker in the world.

The Athlon 64 beat Intel back in the day but Intel has been hell bent on crushing AMD ever since. AMD needs to have that same killer instinct versus the almost as fast but cheaper attitude!

Until then even I'm switching to Intel cause I don't trust a company who has settled for a DISTANT second place for this long.

15. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

Looking at the Valve survey:
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard

DX11 = 12% of total
    84% is AMD / 16% NVIDIA

DX10 = ~73.5%
    26.5% is AMD / 60% NVIDIA

I think back during the A64 era what hurt AMD the most was their lack of production. Sure the Intel antitrust thing hurt too, but when you have empty warehouses what's more demand going to do? This time again, AMD is hurt by lack of production. Even during this bad economy, I think they could have sold 3x as many DX11 cards.

If we look at only the 4000 series for AMD and 200/300 series for NVIDIA, AMD is actually on equal footing. When the 8000/9000 series finally become obsolete, we'll see a more equal share between the two. But those were some extremely good chips, I know lots of people that still find them performing perfectly well enough for the games played.

16. Mentai

Mentai New Member

Has AMD even posted a profit since the A64 era? Seriously depressing.

17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've never been a fan of AMD or ATI but it would be a bad day for the consumer if Intel and Nvidia didn't have any competition.

18. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Hey AMD don't get down! I still buy your stuff :p
    I always buy AMD's chips for my mediacenter/ download pc... Those efficent cpu's, with a great mobo with the 780G chipset, u have a great pc! For a few bucks...

Had a X2 2350BE, and now a X4 600e... 45w TDP, with the HD4200 is an awesome product and a great value, I couldn't make an Intel configuration for what I payed for these components (as good as AMD's offer in performance)...

19. lp1988

lp1988 Well-Known Member

It is a huge deal it may not be a major loss when considering the turnover, but as an investor getting 0% interest is not, I don't know how much money there are bound in AMD, but imagine that you have 100 million invested in AMD, and that year you got nothing from it, well you did lose 2% in inflation. even if you just put the money in the bank you would make about 1-2 million.

Anything but a 4-5 % revenue of your investment is a disaster for any company.

20. thelaw

thelaw New Member

hmmm Need to buck up and invest in there R&D or pull a rabbit out of the hat in the next 2/3 years or we will likely see them go..

Tags: Add Tags