1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm thinking about learning to ride a motorbike

Discussion in 'General' started by rainbowbridge, 17 Oct 2010.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

My boss rides a 2009 Ninja ZX 6R, it looks flipping awesome and he gets to work and back for £4 in petrol a day.

I dont have a car driving license having, failed it three times when I was a little over 20, thats on my to do list as well.

Id like to learn to ride a motor bike so I can get about, for instance if I moved further away from my office and also make urgent customer visits if necessary.

My concern is that Im starting to learn it at 35, Im not slow on the up take of things but riding a motor bike is a pretty serious thing to do obviously.

I understand you first have to pass your CBT which cost about £100.

Does any one have any advice? Id like to become a soild safe no fills or boy racer mature motor bike rider and eventually get a proper 750cc bike in the future.

Is there any thing I should start to study off or any were to go to get some soild motor bike training.

should one do the cbt then do an advanced course?
    once you get a cbt and a 125cc any advice?
    how many hours on a bike untill you good?
    any one passed a cbt for the 125cc and not moved up?

2. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Take your CBT and get a 125cc geared bike such as the Honda CG 125, ride that for 6 months or so I'd say so that you can get used to the gears and it makes the riding become natural. Then take a direct access bike course and test, about 4-5 days of intensive training then the test afterwards which is on a 500cc bike and will allow you to ride unrestricted bikes afterwards.

You can just stay on a 125cc bike but the trouble is you have to retake your CBT every 2 years, and you can't ride on motorways, plus they are pretty underpowered making overtaking and going up steep hills at speed difficult. They are also less stable than bigger bikes as they only have skinny tires...

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

MotorBikes are not toys, they are very fragile. Is what bike driver friend told me once. You have to, yourself, maintain the bike properly, meaning avoid rain/snow, and clean the motor often. If you don't, be prepared to have the bike stop on you at the worst moment. That is why sometimes you see bikers stop driving, and put a plastic cover on the bike when it rains.

My friend told me, if you don't have time to maintain your bike, then forget it, as it will cost you a fortune to repair it in a garage. Not that the parts is necessarily expensive, but that you'll have to do it very often.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Riding a bike is an important skill to have as a man; along with riding a horse, flying, shooting and defusing a claymore. Even if you never use it, learn to do it. but doing it is even cooler.

pimonserry likes this.
  5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Personally, I would get the car license first unless there's a compelling reason not to. They are totally different skill-sets but not having a car license at 35 is going to be more of a drawback than not having a 'bike license - you can't drive as part of your employment, you can't give more than one friend a lift, you can't get places during nasty weather, and you can't take much stuff with you.

Also, if I was a first-time road user, I would rather learn about other people's bad habits from within the safety of a couple of crumple zones and airbags.

Other than that, Trance has got excellent advice. Get your CBT, and get a 125cc geared bike. The "Motorcycle Mayhem" thread has excellent posts and links regarding first bikes, gear, and training. Motorbikes are fun, but present a higher risk of serious injury compared to other forms of transport - and that risk is especially high for new riders. Read up, get as much training as you can, ATGATT, and don't overreach yourself.

Enjoy!

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've had a full bike license for about 38 years, Loved them when I was young but I got sick of getting soaked or frozen to the handle bars and then having to do a days work, Ended up having both a car and a bike lol.

7. Fule

Fule The letter D

I'd have to agree with some of the above posters, especially with regard to the issue of getting a car license first.

People ride bikes for different reasons... I have the luxury of riding for pleasure when I feel like it (weekends mostly). Using it as my daily transport would not work well as weather, transporting stuff etc would hinder me in this regard, but that's just me.

Bikes are impractical and far more demanding in every aspect than a car ever can be: By which I mean maintenance, the correct gear which you will NEED to wear, risk of theft etc. Don't let yourself be drawn in be the percieved "cool" image of a 600 supersport, rather accept the fact that to attain the skill of riding a machine of that calibre requires some serious decisions which you (and maybe your closest family) need to consider well.

Not that I want to put you off at all. If you feel hooked by this newfound need, then go for it by all means. Do it carefully and with due diligence and you'll be fine (don't start with a 600 though). Once you've progressed you will find that a spirited ride is more fun than any other mode of transport. If you can assess and prepare for the risk that accompanies this, it will produce grins even your full-face helmet will be hard put to contain.

I've ridden for 20 years and gone down the road (and track) plenty of times. Possible broken bones, bruising, scraping etc and hospitals (and the financial consequences which accompany these kind of incidents) are the cons, but if you're serious about your approach, the pros will give you so very much in return. Ride safely.

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I drive a tow truck. You know what we call motorcycles? meat grinders. Because of what they can do to a person if you have an accident in them.
    I would learn to drive a car first for reasons already stated in the thread.

My dad used to bike. His lower teeth are all fake teeth from an accident.

All that being said, riding a bike offers a lot of fun. You feel free while doing it. If it is something that you want to do then go ahead and make it happen. Just be safe about it, goto a school and learn from someone qualified to teach it.

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Reading through this I would say go for your test and get a bigger bike, I wouldn't fancy taking a 125 up the motor way. One thing I would say is if you get the chance, take your advance test, I done mine 27 years ago and it teaches you how to set a bike up for cornering how to get out of emergency braking manoeuvres( looking for an escape space). it's money well spent, thats for sure. And most of all have fun.

10. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

35 is never to old to learn, If it helps i failed my car theory 6 times and gave up and bought a 125cc, which allows me to go up to around 81mph, its a great bike for city riding, and a great bike for learning to ride,

Just a few days ago, I nearly had some idiot driving around 40mph in a black cilo hit me head on, Take lots of care, and treat every other road user as a threat.

Depends on how fast you learn,
    In a week you'll be riding the bike like its 2nd nature, (its other road users you have to look out for)

I passed my cbt like 3 years ago, and haven't moved up, I don't ride on motorways though,

the bike theory is a breeze i even went into the back of my instructor knocking his numberplate off and still passed, don't worrie about it, its a little adventure, :thumb:

11. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

My car broke not long ago so I decided to get a bike, CBT done in a day and was on the road right away.

I've been in a car for 6 years now and have to say it's helped, getting on a bike was scary, without experience in the car I'd never have coped, theres so much going on and you'll be vulnerable.

I'm on a YBR125 and it's great and fun but despite nice big L's people still don't care about you on the road, if yo can get a car license first do it but low cost running of a bike is great.

Just remember, like GoodBytes said they're not toys, they are fun but you have to judge the road conditions and what other drivers will do, that come with expereince

12. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

I could write a very long post, but its half ten on a sunday night, so 3 quick tips.

1) Don't get killed.

2) That car has not seen you.

3) Avoid the rainbow of death.

Good luck.

13. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I rode for years before passing my test then the biking kind of stopped. My CBT ended and life moved on. Still I am glad I did it and I also plan on going to do my bike test in future. The thing with biking is that you have to think about what every signal person on the road is going to do as well as what you are doing and what the road is doing. Remember the life saver glance. If you have no road experience then for love of anything you care to mention please do the theory test first, or at a minimum read the highway code do a few online sample tests and please do not go on the road until you are getting good results. The trouble with the CBT is that it can be done in a day and basically proves you can stay on a bike in a car park then that you can ride "safely"on the road. If you have no idea of what stopping distances, and other road signs are then you will most likely not be safe. Not trying to sound insulting, but I was fortunate to have a father who was an HGV driver that drilled road safety into me from a very young age. If you do ride, then as my mates say "ride safe"! Good luck, riding is great.

14. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I got my bike licence 15 years ago and only my car licence 5 years ago, yes i have had a few bike accidents none have been my fault, broke my wrist in the last one....its not to say that biking does not have dangers...they are there daily usually around people not looking before changing lanes right pulling out of a junction into you...and its fact that the highest death road toll rate is in the motorcycle community..

Its not safe for obvious reasons but its up to you because that is the risk you take in anything these days and if we did not take risks we would live in "bubbles and fear going outside in case we catch the flu" or something.

I would suggest if you do the advance course because you will find a 125cc too limiting and too low powered if you are a hefty full adult sized bloke, then you can get something along the lines of a Honda CB 500 or a suzuki sv650 or the Kawasaki EN650 for a first bike, there are plenty of decent low mileage second hand models out there likely owned by someone like you getting into bikes for the first time and these ones are lighter on the insurance side of things, something to know thought bikes require more maintenence.

They go through tyres more than a car will and at around £300 -£400 for a pair for a decent safe brand they can last a year or year and half depending on your riding/mileage, they need to have there chains adjusted monthly which you will need to do and keep it oiled, a chain and sprocket kit can set you back £150 every year or year and a half once again depending on how well you maintain the chain/ride/mileage...bike engines also need a oil/plug/filter change at least once a year to stay reliable because they work harder and rev higher than cars and if you cannot do this yourself well that will be around another £150 parts and labour good sir..

Most 750cc or above are pure race bikes and will lead to trouble for a first bike, the ones i suggested a mid level entry bikes for older mature new riders who want to get into biking but want a bit more than a 125CC, even if you dont go for your full licence the above bikes can be easily restricted to 33BHP until you do.

What sort of budget do you have set up? Bearing in mind you need to include helmet/leathers/bike/boots/gloves/insurance and the costs of your courses its safe to say you need to set aside the best part of £4k-£5k if you want to get a decent bike more if you want a brand new bike and kit as well as pay for all your training?

Last edited: 18 Oct 2010
  15. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Personally I feel that if you fail your car theory test 6 times, you shouldn't be allowed on the road on anything, especially something that lets you got at 81mph.

16. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Tyres are always under £250 for a decent pair, fitted.

Not had to change chains or sprockets in 16k miles.

750cc = race bike? Don't agree. Throttle works both ways etc.

:wallbash:

17. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

You failed your THEORY six times?!

"Throttle works both ways" is equally applicable to F1 cars and the Eurofighter, but I'm guessing you wouldn't recommend either of those to beginners either. 750cc doesn't equal a race bike, but it does equal in almost all situations a lot of power, and that's dangerous. That's not to say that a 50cc cannot get you into trouble - it can - and that's not to say that there aren't situations where a 750cc could get a beginner out of trouble when a 125cc couldn't - there are. But in general, the more power the unknowing beginner can unleash, the more danger they can find themselves in. Having tested this theory in cars, boats, PWCs, light aircraft, motorbikes (both on and off-road), paramotors, lawnmowers, tractors and quadbikes I can say with some certainty - start with less power.

That said, I agree with thelaw - if you find 125/250cc geared bikes can't move you with traffic (and I mean A-road traffic, not motorway) then go for a friendly 500-600cc.

18. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

19. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Good for you, so far I've only

Nearly crashed into the side of a car which pulled out on me going about 70
    Went though the back window of a ministry of defence Van

Apart from that nothing really, :thumb:

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Now ask him how much is kit costs (lid, jacket, boots etc) how much his insurance is and how much a rear tyre runs him :jawdrop:

Don't get me wrong I love my bike and would encourage everyone to get one but it's ain't the cheap fix.

Yes they are...

Are they heck as like

Like any other form of transportation you may own

Utter utter, complete bollox, sound like your mate is a FWB who can't have a dirty bike

Hmmmmm, I'm gonna call BS on this point

:waah::waah:

They need maintenance, getting it done at a main dealer is expensive, in the same way it is for a car, but doing it often, my arse. :duh: