1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Forced to sleep in garage, how to keep warm

Discussion in 'General' started by rainbowbridge, 19 Oct 2010.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Insane situation but my housemate who is a 50 year old man stays up all night playing poker golf and listening to tv and radio (with no headphones).

I can normally get to sleep first thing but between the 1st 4 hour rem period and the 2nd he wakes me up and I can hear him coughing etc.

I have decided to just take my deuvay and a couple of blankets onto the cold floor but by about 4am im pretty cold.

My rents £390 but its a big step up to a studio flat £650.

I want to have the ability to sleep away from my room, any one with any ideas.

Indoor small tent?
    Electric blanket?
    Artic sleeping bag?

As a side point its not just one to two days a week he is up all night, it seems to be his meathod of living Im not sure if he sleeps at all, he may grab 3 or four hours between 8 and 12, Id like to just work around the situation vs causing any issues.

Btw: its peacefull in the garage and I sleep like a baby.

rainbow.

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Leave the car running that'll soon warm you up then you'll sleep no problem... jk

Seriously though, speak to your flat mate or move.

3. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Holy Crap bad situation, I can't sleep with the slightest lights, noises, drips, rain, either!

everything you've said, Plus a few water bottles,

Do you ever make him drinks? something to think about.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What an antisocial c-unit. Give the arsehole an ASBO - that'd make his mother proud.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  5. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

lol +rep

6. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Yeah you wanna sort that out mate. Anyway if you HAVE to sleep in a garage you want to get yourself up and away from the floor. Or at least get several layers of blanket or whatever between you and the floor.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Get a camper van its a lot cheaper than rent LOL

I wouldn't put up with it if that was me.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Erm, you're going about this completely the wrong way, if I may say so. As kenco rightly says, the bloke is being a dick head. The very notion that you have to move to the garage to get a good night's sleep is completely ridiculous.

Have a quiet word with him, ask if he can get some headphones or something. If he really is an inconsiderate w*nker, complain to the landlord.

Personally, I'm a very light sleeper, so I put ear buds in at night to block out any noise - this could be an alternative.

9. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Earplugs, you can get trial packs on ebay of several different types so you can find out which ones suit you best.

Ask your housemate to wear headphones, it's not unreasonable to expect some sort of peace and quiet at that sort of time. Seriously though I think it's important to let him know that it's keeping you awake, some people can be incredibly thick when it comes to considering the effect of their actions on others.

If you must sleep in the garage then getting off the floor is the most important thing, cold air sinks and the coldest part of garage will be next to the floor. I'd be thinking of a camping bed and an electric blanket though to be honest I'd probably be thinking of a baseball bat first. As an insomniac people who disturb my sleep get no sympathy at all.

Moriquendi

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah.

Speak to him and/or complain to the landlord first.

If neither proves to be successful, a good solid camp bed at the very least. For reference, I'm 6 foot 6, and a smidge over 18 stone. I've had many a good night on a "SunnCamp Deluxe Extra Large Camp Bed".

I'd be uncertain about doing it long term, though, as they're obviously not intended for permanent use.

11. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

What about just setting up the garage as your room? Probably easier and alot quicker than dealing with a grumpy old man and/or complaining to the landlord :worried:

So you could get your pc, tv, bed, etc in there, and I'd get a couple more blankets instead of an electric blanket, seal up any drafts... now if the garage door is the only way in and out, then this might be a problem... makeshift curtain perhaps :confused: otherwise, duct taping the edges of the garage door should be easy without touching/risking damage to painted surfaces.
    A door snake/cushion will seal the back door well enough if there is one.

So how long do you want to stay there?

And have you tried asking him to wear headphones?

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  12. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

Why would you consider sleeping in a garage! especially as its turning winter!

Just go and talk to him. Simples.

13. Mortus

Mortus What's a Dremel?

I think i have to agree with everybody else, be nice and ask him to A) Keep the noise down or B) wear headphones.

If he refuses put a lock on your own bedroom door if there isn't one already.... and when you go out during the day when i assume he sleeps leave music on really loud!!!!!

Or kick him in the nuts ;)

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Get equipment made for sleeping in cold environments. A good sleeping bag and an inflatable mattress.

15. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

This is all wrong, why should you have to pay good money and not be able to sleep in your own room because he's an inconsiderate dick head. You need to have a word in his ear or this will only get worse as he realises he can walk all over you.

16. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Seriously, tell the codger to bugger off and use headphones.
    If he carries on just get up, turn the TV and radio off, hijack his PC and mute his sound settings.

You pay rent so you have every right to expect to have a decent nights sleep.
    He should be considerate towards that, if not complain to landlord/letting agency about the guy.

17. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

Well, I can't believe you're even paying that much and then consider putting yourself out like that. I was only paying £100 a month for a loft. Even if it did have no heating at least it wasn't on concrete and it kept my PC's running nice and cool.

You should first try talking to him, then if you don't get anywhere you should complain to the landlord. If he still doesn't respond you could try the old 'sh*t in an burning envelope' trick to give him a warning while looking for alternative accommodation. ^_^

18. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Have you not considered just sitting down with him and hitting him around the head.

Pete J and boiled_elephant like this.
  19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ear plugs.

That or just ask him why he's a selfish sod. Don't move into the garage, that's just stupid.

20. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Kick him in his wrinkly stones and insist he wears headphones, or as already mentioned get earbuds for yourself.