1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics PSU Modular plugs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Skorchio, 30 Oct 2010.

1. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Hey guys

Does anyone know a place where I can get the plugs that plug in to modular PSU's ?

Thanks
    Skorch

Last edited: 13 Nov 2010
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Usually from the company that makes the modular PSU. Each make of modular PSU tends to have its own proprietary system of plugs.

3. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I can only help you with the connectors that are used on Corsair PSU's. I have two of
    these and they use Molex micro-fit connectors, the 6 pin variety. These are the same as
    the PCIex power connectors in 6 and 8 pin varieties, which is the same as the ATX 12V
    4 and 8 pin plugs. Have a look here. You should be able to buy the male, cable fitted types at lots of places. The board mounted
    sockets are another matter though. You'll have to do a lot of searching. ;)

4. Tealc

Tealc What's a Dremel?

PCI-E, EPS12v etc. connectors are not micro-fit but they are Molex Mini-fit Junior.

Molex page http://www.molex.com/molex/products...oducts&chanName=family&pageTitle=Introduction

The Micro-fit range is about 30% smaller at .118" pitch whereas the Mini-fit is .165".

PCI Express page on Molex http://www.molex.com/molex/products...oducts&chanName=family&pageTitle=Introduction

Looking at some images of modular connectors it seems most like to use a combination of single and dual row Molex Mini-fit junior connectors. A few use proprietary round connectors and some use the same connector as is on the end of the cable ie. Peripheral connector to Peripheral connector.

You can make your own cables if you know the wiring convention and can identify and source all the right connectors, terminals and wiring.

I worked with these terminals and connectors for 12 years in my previous job. We used to go through millions of the terminals and connectors every week.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2010
  5. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Sorry peeps, I actually changed that from mini-fit to micro-fit for some obscure reason. :hehe:

6. TonyL

TonyL modding on welfare

6pins for corsair are available here - http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/6-Pin-Square-Female-VGA-Power-Connector-Black_1083.html
    5pins in black are much harder to find - ie: order through manufacturer only :(
    natural/whitish 5pins are easily sourced

I've been trying to source them and currently have found a minimum order quantity of 10000 :(, same company that makes them for corsair

see link in sig for more numbers

also I started with this page - http://cables.hillsidekonnection.com/psucorsair.html - but not finished yet

7. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

if you need 5 pin ones in black, get the white/natural ones and vinyl dye them black, it will be a LOT easier on you than all that sourcing :p

8. TonyL

TonyL modding on welfare

Yeah i'll probably end up doing that, I just got carried away lol
    If it was 1000 minimum quantity I probably would have made an order.. even though I only need 2 :D
    eg: When I found the 6pins I only needed a few but ordered 40

9. Skorchio

Hi guys, thanks for the help so far, sorry i have not replied sooner, i thought i had subbed to this.. obviously not..

The connector that im looking for is the one in the far right of this pic.

[​IMG]

Skorch

10. TonyL

TonyL modding on welfare

Hmm, don't think you're gonna have much luck with that one :(
    Have you checked the psu side to see if it has the centre clip tab like all the others?
    EDIT: nup, no go on that

11. Tealc

Tealc What's a Dremel?

I worked with these types of connectors and in 12 years I never saw one with the clip on that side. The good news is that you don't actually need it and can just order a plain straight 5 way connector as the friction between the terminals and connectors should be sufficient to hold it in place provided you don't go pulling on it too hard when the system is in use. A dab of hot glue would also serve in a out of sight spot.

So you need this part number '39-01-4051' for the UL94V-0 version in Natural colour. You can buy them from RS Components in the UK, I'm not sure about elsewhere. Would be cheaper than buying in bulk even when you have to buy the dye as well.

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Can you or a mod change the title to read "PSU" rather than "PCU" please.

And from memory, those connectors look almost like a variation of the Corsair HX series modular plugs.

[edit]

Sorry, I missed that TonyL already mentioned Corsair.

13. Skorchio

Thanks :) 39-01-4051 seems like the best bet. :) Wonder where the onces with the clips on the side are from...

Thanks guys.