1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics with DELL Latitude E6410

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccqccnd, 13 Nov 2010.

1. ccqccnd

ccqccnd What's a Dremel?

Hi All

I'm interested in buying a DELL Latitude E6410.
    Any in/out about that particular Lap-top regarding video-games?

Do you have experienced E6410 video-games crazy errors!!!
    Which one?
    Have you solved the problem or quick the Lap-top out of your view?
    It seems to have a pretty good NVidia card NVS 3100M 512MB

Cheers

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The Nvidia Quadro NVS 3100M is really a Geforce 310M. Both are GT218 architecture.
    The Latitude E6400, the older version, has a Quadro NVS 160M, which is really a Geforce 9300 with 256MB memory instead of using the system RAM. It's real world performance is a little a above Geforce 9400M.

I would suggest to check out Dell Outlet for any refurbished system as they are ridiculously cheap, just because they are returned or have a scratch. I read some people on other forum, buy refurbished Dell systems, and see with Dell or eBay in replacing any parts that are scratch or damaged with new ones. Hardware wise, if anything is not working, or like the screen is scratch or cracked when you got the system, Dell will cover it under the warranty. By doing so they are able to acquire such high-end system for a much lower price. But sadly, to my knowledge, there is no Dell Outlet in Canada.

A nice thing with Dell, is if you order your system, do so by phone. By doing so, I was able to negotiate free upgrades and price drops. I saved significantly on my system. I strongly suggest to give it a try. I order my system via Dell Small buisness. In my case, I had to ask 2 sales representative. The first one didn't want to give me anything, not even free shipping. The second one, give me frees shipping without asking, and it was with him I was able to negotiate the price. Maybe, if I had more time, I could have pushed more. But, I was satisfied with the price, especially that the system came with 3 year warranty and 3 year next buisness day on-side service.

The laptop cooling of the laptop, especially the older version, is exceptional for a laptop of this size. I was able to overclock like no tomorrow my GPU with Nvidia own tool. In my case, under some games, I was able to achieve similar performance to the Geforce 9500M or even 9600M model, which the step in speed increase is much higher. The laptop handles the extra heat just fine.

If you don't want the Nvidia solution, you have the Intel solution.
    Intel solution is interesting but has down-sides. It is inexpensive, consumes less power, able to handle Aero experience, play HD 1080p videos without difficulties, play DVD's and videos fine. But that's about it. The problem with Intel solution is that if the software is not supported by Intel graphic card drivers, then big chances it won't work. Intel tend to only support and optimize their drivers on very popular software that require the GPU. While Nvidia and ATi/AMD solution designs their drivers so that it works with everything.

If you run software that require the graphic card either OpenCL or CUDA (CUDA is exclusive to Nvidia solution) for calculations or advance 2D or 3D graphics, or manage properly without much issues a multiple display setup, a discreet graphic solution from Nvidia or AMD/ATi is a must, especially if you don't know what you'll run on it later on, but you know you'll need the GPU some way or another.

If you know you are just going to watch all sort of videos, basic 2D games, surf the web, work with documents then the Intel GPU is a good option to pick.

If you aim in getting the Latitude E6410, then I would suggest to pick the Core i5 series processor, or slower if you don't need too much CPU performance. The reason why I suggest this, is that the Core i series mobile are not very energy efficient, compared to the last generation of Core 2 Duo's. They heat a lot more, and consumes a lot more battery. Picking the fastest CPU doesn't help the cause. I would personally recommend to wait for the nest generation of Core i series mobile, where I assume will be more efficient in term of power consumption, as where the mobile Core 2 Duo series after each generation.

Now I don't know what you mean by "crazy errors'. Do you have video's or screen shots or pictures or remember the error you are seeing or read about? All I know is if you play an unsupported game with the Intel graphic solution, then you may see 'crazy errors', as the graphic card doesn't understand the received instructions.

If it's the Nvidia solution, then it could be a driver bug. In such case, I recommend to uninstall the current drivers, restart the computer, and install the latest driver from Nvidia web site.

3. Cosmot

Cosmot What's a Dremel?

I can't give you a difinitive answer but I will offer an opinion.
    I know you can use different MAh (Milliamperes). It represents the amount of stored energy in your battery.
    Voltage in a battery refers to the "volume" of electricity that is delivered to your computer.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

huh?
    The laptop comes with a 90W power adapter. It also support a 65W power adapter. In which case the laptop down-clocks to minimum speed to fit the power consumption requirement. In this mode you can also only run the laptop or recharge the battery, not both. It's pretty cool feature in my opinion, as if you don't have you PSU, you can use any Dell power supply. In such case, if you use a 65W PSU, let's say from a friend, at least you can decided in continuing our work, or recharge the battery, and not having a brick.

Tip of the hat for Dell ingenuity.