1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Supposedly awesome games that you couldn't get into?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kameltoemunch, 27 Nov 2010.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Tend to agree with those voting for Bioshock and Oblivion. I bought them together (thankfully for only a fiver) as when I saw the deal everyone was saying they were 2 of the best games from the last couple of years.

They were some of the first games I got on my new pc (just getting back into games) and they just got me concerned that my expectations about pc gaming were way too high. The visuals were nothing special (particularly Oblivion - I know you can patch it but not sure it's worth it) and there hasn't been anything to hook me into either of them. Oblivion might get another chance but there's just so much bloody walking about doing f-all. I have already given Bioshock a second chance. I did get into it a bit and got as far as the bit where you have to kill some mad doctor (fairly early on in the game) and I've used up all my ammo trying to kill him and just can't do it, and just don't feel inspired enough to revert back to an older save point.

2. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

Bioshock- I like the art style and atmosphere, but I have found the game itself a real slog.

But maybe I just don't like linear fps- I have never completed half life 1 or 2.

3. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Fallout 3

Dragon Age

4. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I've got countless games games that i've bought, not really played then traded in. Some i still have got though i would really like to get into at least trying again are

the original Stalker
    Oblivion
    Bioshock

All games i normally love, but just can't bring myself to play em. Oblivion kinda seems over complicated, i love fallout 3 but maybe if id have played fallout 3 after oblivion i might have got into it more.

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Deus Ex and doom.
    I don't know what it is i just find them boring.
    maybe it is because i didn't grow up with them games.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Must... restrain... myself...

Personally:
    Minecraft. Zzzz. Maybe I've lost my imagination?

Empire: Total War. I took one look at the campaign map for the British Empire and thought "f**k this"

Balders Gate. Tried the demo, just couldn't bring myself to care.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Apr 2011
  7. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

The thing about NWN, at least for me, was th online play. The main offline quest never interested me. I had a friend who haad built a whole new little world, and a bunch of us would play our way through it. Very fun! Fun in the same way I guess a raid in WoW is fun.

8. roarke80

roarke80 What's a Dremel?

Oblivion. Just didn't get what the hype was about.

Also Bioshock, but not cos it wasn't awesome, it was too scary to play!

9. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Bioshock: Couldn't see much past a very poor shooter with a horribly restricted FOV. Seting really didn't impress me as much as it seemed to impress other people. Plot was good up until the reveal though after that it kinda lost direction.

CODMW: Just seemed far too easy to me health regen way too fast that i abused it lots. Some weapons on multiplayer are a bit spammy and i still can't get past the instakill knife.

Hit boxes are way off too, sitting out one round and watching my friends play i saw one headshot when the crosshair was about two inches away from his head and another where the shot hit the targets armpit yet still counted as a headshot.

10. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

Ah, glad to see some fellow don't cares about Bioshock.

I'll also chime in on Oblivion. I loved Morrowind to death and was expecting to be blown away, but dear god that was several steps backward. They changed the glorious, unique environments of vvardenfell for generic fantasy forest boredom. I still have high hopes for Elder Scrolls V though.

11. Gooseman

Gooseman What's a Dremel?

Doom 3 did not suck me in anywhere near as much as any of the other Doom games. Sad, really...

12. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

I utterly agree with this.

But one who disagrees is my Dad - a Doom 3 diehard at the (wait for it!) age of 81!

He's finished the game twice.

I could never be bothered.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

STALKER. I bought the first one on bragain bin offer for about £3 I think. Not sure what it was, just seemed a bit aimless and I thought never again.

Then the second one came on offer and I picked it up thinking I'd give it another try. Right from the off I wondered why I'd bothered.

Still holding out on pita pat or whatever it's called. :)

Mind you there must be something about it, I mean I'm still contemplating it. Only if it's less than a fiver though. :D

14. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Fallout 3: Just seemed like Oblivion with different textures, and I wasn't a major fan of Oblivion. Plus I thought the storyline of Fallout 3 sucked. Especially the "Oh Dad, it's great spending time with yo... oh, you're gone. [Little bit later] Oh, I've found you... but for some reason we're showing no emotion whatsoever [Little bit later] Oh, you're dead again" bit.

EVE Online: Wasn't my sort of thing. It sounded like something I'd love and it has good reviews, but que sera sera.

Many online RTS games: I loved the Starcraft 2 single player, although to be honest I could never get into the PvP play. It's a well made game, I think I just prefer RTSes which can take 1-2 hours per game, compared to SC2 which can be over in 10-15 minutes per game.

15. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I got STALKER Call of Pripyat and Shadow of Chernobyl in an offer on Steam, but I only really enjoyed Call of Pripyat. I played it first, so when I came to play Shadow of Chernobyl, I just though it was too spread out, with no links between the missions. Call of Pripyat, on the other hand, I have played through several times now.

adidan likes this.
  16. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

Dragon Age: Origins - i found it rather boring, gave up after 2 hours.

Metro 2033: nice graphics. sort of like crysis but the latter was fun to play (well at least until the part where aliens show up)

Fallout New Vegas: didn't like the silly "freeze time to shoot with some accuracy" thing and i find games with post-apocalyptic theme boring.

Bioshock: with all the "perfect" reviews this game was getting i was prepared to be blown away, the game was crap tbh. ok the graphics & the design were excellent, but the storyline, missions and gameplay were nothing special.

Eve Online: tbh i didn't really know what i was getting not when i bought this game, having spent some time in game and looking at "game guides" i got an impression that this game is more like having a second job without getting paid than anything close to fun.

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Damn you, now that will be sticking in my mind and I'll not doubt pick it up when it's on offer. :wallbash::D

I never learn you know.

18. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Have you guys modded Shadow Of Chernobyl?

It makes the game much more enjoyable and works with the Steam version too.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

The mod for Clear Sky is also done and one for Call Of Pripyat is on the way.

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

mass effect. i just cant get into it. :(

20. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

World of Warcraft. I pre-ordered this as people were telling me it would be the best game ever. I played it for a few hours with a couple of different races, didn't really like the look and feel of the game and just generally thought it a bit 'meh'. Uninstalled it and thought to myself 'waste of £30 that was'.

Battlefield 2. Generally thought to be a great game. I tried the demo and had trouble getting the game past the black screen bug and then after that it wouldn't play online. Gave up.