1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Request: Solidworks parts/models?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by davros123, 30 Nov 2010.

1. davros123

davros123 What's a Dremel?

G'day guys. Very excited to find this forum!

I have a mate who uses Solidworks and he's coming over next week to help me model some parts for my watercooling project and I was wondering if anyone here had some computer/component solidworks models that they could give me/direct me to to get him started? Seems all the models I can see here are Shetchup.

I tried to import the sketchup models into Solidworks using this plugin (http://www.sycode.com/products/skp_import_sw/index.htm) but it just gave errors for me :(

I am after all the usual parts esp those hard to get ones related to watercooling like pumps, rads and res's...
    Pump - will be a Laing D5 Variable Speed Pump
    Rad - Black Ice SR1 280
    Res - MCRES micro res. v2
    Connectors - compression fittings
    Mobo
    14cm fans
    PC case/bits - Antec Super Lanboy (yeah dreaming I know!)

I have found the following models on the web....
    PSU - have a model - but would like one closer ro the HX650
    CD/DVD - have a model
    Hard Drive - have a model
    SSD - have a model of a laptop drive

Not really fussed if I do not get exact items (yeah dreaming I know)...but thought I'd ask.

This is not about the prettyest models, but more to see how I can make it all fit in my Antec Super Lanboy before I take out the hacksaw :naughty:

Update : One of the members here, Scott, has shared his PHOBYA CASE 002 here http://www.grabcad.com/cadfiles/phobya-case-002 and it has a heap of useful parts in there, rad's, fans, pump, waterblock, mobo etc etc.

Thanks so much - you guys are just amazing with those models!
    Dav.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2010
  2. Xir

Xir Modder

Probably because scetchup 's for free and Solidworks is Pro-stuff ;-)
    The fittings should be in the library...if you have the "piping" section installed.

Did you find a good test or comparison for pumps somewhere?

3. davros123

True...but I am sure others use it as I see postings of drawings done with Solidworks.

That link to Scott's phobya case has some great parts, and I am sure others have some parts too they could share.

I'll load up whatever my friend makes for me...it won't be that special, but you never know.

I'll check out the piping stuff...Have not found anything on pumps...but am going with a D5 for my build.

4. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

I would be interested in this as well. I'm a solidworks user and have done some searching to little avail

5. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I mostly use rough block templates in Solidworks. Actual part geometry is usually irrelevant. Although, you need accurate parts if you want to produce cool renderings.

If you want to go digging for gold, have a looksie at this site:
    http://www.traceparts.com/index.asp
    You might find something nice. So far, I've only managed to get my inbox full of spam.

6. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Javerh likes this.
  7. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

^^ That's one handy link! Rep!

8. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

I have the same problem - It´s very hard to find PC components for SolidWorks. In the end I just made rough models myself. Usually it´s enough that outside dimensions are correct, not very pretty but works for designing purposes.

@GCOFIELDD, Great link, thank you!

9. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

As a Solidworks user I ran into this same issue. You know what I did? I modeled up my own parts. Then I know they are 100% right and not some part that billy bob modeled up.
    I have a perfect Microres that took all of 10 minutes to model and assign materials.
    I have a rough D5 and a few rads that I had my hands on. I also modeled up my Tourture Rack case ;)
    Here was V1 of that model:
    [​IMG]

10. davros123

Hi Floyd, That case looks great.

Solidworks is very powerful, but also a steep learning curve for us casual users/ mere mortals.

Can you share your parts with us? Youcld. Even upload then to 3dcontentcentral or any of the galizillion free fileshare places.

11. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

The only reason I use Solidworks is thats what ive been trained in and thats what im good with.
    I tried Sketchup once and couldnt make heads or tails of the thing. Its a COMPLETELY different style of modeling.

12. davros123

So, is that a yes to sharing your models with the community?

13. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

I just looked for my files but IDK where they went. Its been about a year since I modeled them up.

14. davros123

No prob's. My mate just knocked this up...not 100% sure of the dimensions as I do not have the actual res. , but was taken from a sketchup model...so should be about right.

[​IMG]
    (apologies for the average render it's just a quick preview).

Will upload this and any other parts I make so others can use them and post liks here.

15. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

16. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Hummm Interesting. I use Solidworks but when I tried to use Sketchup I found it completely unfathomable....

I have a few pictures of stuff I've done:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. davros123