1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Show us your gear!

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by GregTheRotter, 25 Aug 2009.

1. Vers

Vers ...

No advantage...Really? AF and IQ stack up equally?

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

If only I could afford that sort of lens.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Image quality from the D7000 is much higher with a good lens, yes. I don't often use AF much anyway, but so far as I can tell... there's no real noticeable difference between the 2 in terms of AF.

Seriously.... which is why i'm selling it. It's 3 times the weight, twice the size, 6mp less, and I'm struggling to justify having in my kit. If I shot sports for a living I'd keep it because of it's continuous shooting speed (and supposedly better AF). I like the shallow DOF you can get with a full frame chip and that's probbaly the only thing I'll miss, but I can live with it until a decent D700 replacement arrives (or a D3x with 1080P).

Ahh.. I see. You aquire stuff over time... then upgrade, sell etc. I didn't just go out and buy it all in one shot :)

4. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Well its a newish year so I've finally upgraded. The D50 has now been replaced by a lovely D7000 after finding it for what I think is a quite a reasonable price of£875. Now the wife's inherting the D50 as she wants a play with a bigger camera, and I'm back to eying up something better in the telephoto range than my sigma 70-300. Have yet another excuse to start walking at the weekends agains now.

5. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

^ Longer, or faster? Nothing really beats the 70-300VR for price to performance. Unless you want to go the whole hog and go 70-200VR maybe mkI used?

6. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

LOL, ok, for what you or I shoot, there may be no real difference in AF between the D3 and D7000, but if there's a difference? Somehow I think there is. Personally I've pretty much stopped using my D80 entirely, and it's only kept because it's not worth selling. I'd never go D7000 from my D700 that's for sure, even if the D7000 does have more mp and does video. The viewfinder is no comparison. I suppose from D3 brick to D7000, yeah. But had you had a D700, I'm sure it would have been a much harder swap.

Maybe I'd sell my D700 for a D700s later on. I.e same mp, higher iso, and video. You can keep the extra mp. Higher Iso never hurt anyone. More mp's just for tighter cropping, and chews up cards faster.

7. whisperwolf

Still deciding, currently up for debate are the nikon 70-300 vr, the tamron 70-300 vc or finding a sigma 50-150 f/2.8. I've decided not to bother going longer, I'm not a bird watcher or animal enthusiast, so I think I'd leave the lenses like the sigma 120-400 and 150-500 at home too often to bother with, the 70-300's are light and small enough to fit in the camera bag and carry round with me. and as much as I would like the nikon 70-200vr's unless a lottery win is forthcoming its just not going to be in my range any time soon, I don't do enough portrait shots to justify it.

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

If you can find a good one, then that would be my choice. small, light, and works out to 70-200 on DX. But, you gotta try them first and get a good one.

9. whisperwolf

Was discounting it for that reason, as Sigma had discontinued it. but they've announced a OS version today, think I might hold of buying stuff till thats released now. seems its abit longer than the non os version now.

10. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

11. faloc

faloc What's a Dremel?

a new photo

[​IMG]

I've only included my Canon "L" lenses in this one :)

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

looks like a 24-105 mug ?

Nice kit, what do you shoot ?

13. faloc

faloc What's a Dremel?

yep its a mug indeed ^^ filled with spare AA batteries

I shoot portraits, indoor and outdoor sports, wildlife and nature photos.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Cameras:
    Зенит ЕТ (Zenit ET)
    Ломо 135 ВС (Lomo 135 VS)
    Holga 120 CFN
    Lenses:
    Helios 44M-4 2/58
    Pentacon 2.8/135
    Jupiter 8 2/50
    wide angle fixed unknown maker

I also have a mess of various studio gear, tripods, lighting, backdrops, etc.

15. Rodrigo Vicentini

Rodrigo Vicentini What's a Dremel?

wow nice set dudes
    my equipment:

nikon D90 set:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Missing SB600, Vivitar 285HV and cactus trigger, I do not have pictures of them

others cams:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

[​IMG]
    IMG_0070 by silverfish51, on Flickr

Coronet, Pentax K-x, Mamiya DSX 1000. Not pictured, M42 adapter to mount the Mamiya lenses on the Pentax and a 1.4TC I picked up yesterday. Also filters, so many filters.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

My latest acquisition...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a Chamonix 045N-2 field camera and takes 4x5in sheet film. The lens attached is a Fuji Fujinon NW 105mm F/5.6 (about 26mm equivalent on 35mm). I've also got a Fuji Fujinon A 180mm F/9 (45mm) and a Nikon Nikkor-M 300mm F/9 (75mm) on the way, but they have not arrived yet. Hope to get them in the next week or so.

Once I've got everything, my entire large format kit will weigh less than my digital equipment and a good scan will deliver about 5x the resolution of a 5D Mark II file.

18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Awesome Tim! I've been following your mounting excitement on Twitter.

Knowing your skill with getting everything so close to perfect in-camera already, I'm sure you'll do some spectacular stuff with the new stuff :)

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think it's going to make me concentrate even harder... each exposure works out at about £5 before digitising the transparency/negative. I was out the other day with my 5D2 and made 2 images with 2 exposures each in 6 hours (although there was lots of scrapbooking on a compact camera) and the result was two images that I'm pretty happy with.

I figured it would cost me less to run a 4x5 camera than keep upgrading a digital camera system, because once I've got all the kit my only cost is the film and on increasing my range of focal lengths - I don't need to do any upgrading because I technically get a new sensor every time I release the shutter. So far, I've spent very little over what I got for the two Canon L series lenses I sold recently. I just can't wait to get out and make some pictures with it. :D

20. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Oh nice Tim, that seems to be a serious piece of photographic equipment right there!

But don't be so sure about not upgrading your stuff, there's 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, 20x24 and don't forget about the panoramic formats, 4x10 and 8x20 :D

Seriously though, the camera looks great and I'm sure it'll perform perfectly for your line of photography. Especially the movements, none of that TS-E crapola anymore...

Be sure to post your work with this camera here, I'm really interested in seeing what kind of quality you'll be able to get from it. Especially if you could link to a bigger image (not even near to a print, but still) when you post.

Have a good one with it!