1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How long to your keep component boxes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cookie Monster, 27 Feb 2011.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I keep them until they fall down from the shelf, hit me in the head and I throw them out in a wild torrent of rage.

The boxes from my latest build got thrown out a couple of days after I built the system. No need to keep them, really. manufacturers can't refuse RMA because of a missing box and I have lots of boxes at work I can use.

I do keep the box for the motherboard to store all the left over hardware and cables.

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

+1

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I keep mobo boxes for storing manuals, cds and (shock!) the occasional mobo that is obsolete, but I keep because I can't bring myself to bin it.

But seriously though, during my purge earlier this year, I finally through away my Radeon 9000 pro box (first video card I bought with my own cash). I still have the card though :lol:

4. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Did I suddenly inspire these guys to reveal their secrets of keeping manuals, cables and CDs? It seems we all think alike, using our mobo boxes to keep them in

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well it's a big box... and allows you to keep your old motherboard in the box, in the case you need to return or RMA critical computer parts.. at least you have a computer during this process.

6. balatro2005

balatro2005 Minimodder

I have a cupboard full of box's from my last build still (everything in my sig). Only one im missing is one of my 4870 which came from ebay. I just find it makes them easier to keep them till I sell the items. Help's that they all fit in the big box scan sent them in.

Never had to rma a cpu but don't you need the box to do it for intel ?

7. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

I keep them forever :p

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I don't think they do. CPUs never fail anyway. :) (Ok, so they can fail, but very rarely.)

Not really. I have been doing it for years. ;)

9. Synalar

Synalar What's a Dremel?

One always thinks about warranty.

On the other hand, it's necessary to admit, that the boxes are really gaudy and difficult to just throw away.
    The only problem is that they are getting bigger and bigger (the GTX570 arrived almost in a "mini" tower box").

Now, even if you have a big house keeping the boxes becomes a problem (flat TV, monitor, PC case,...)

10. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Just seemed a little odd that straight after I posted you and the others posted. Deja vu? Or am I jinxed? :waah:

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I save the boxes of TFT-screens etc that are easily damaged on transport. Mouse, keyboard etc. boxes I just ditch as I know I'm not going to need them. Also ofcourse I save the boxes that are still full... Which causes a bit of astorage problem :duh:

12. Synalar

Synalar What's a Dremel?

how gratifying!!!
    What U value do you achieve??

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

My U value is inversely proportional to the number of old components I can sell. ;)

14. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

about a day after the pc is up and running

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I keep them for as long as I have the components.

16. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Still have mine saved.

17. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I usually keep them as long as the warranty is. But thats only for small stuff like gfx and so on. My last case box went out the door the same day as did the Amp box.
    On the other hand the boxes from my LCD`s are still in the basement as its easier to go to a LAN with the LCD in a proper box.

18. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

I keep the box as long as I have the product or as long as it's in warranty. Always useful to package it up again when either moving or sending it away to be fixed.

I get annoyed at people who get rid of boxes straight away, I don't know why, it just irks me.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Me and my GF have a box fetish.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Case box always goes straight out.

The box for my 24" Dell has the boxes of parts I'd upgrade commonly, or have special packaging, so its got the CPU box, GPU box, mobo box, PSU box and the HSF box. I think the blister pack from the RAM is in there to.

I still run every single HDD i've had for the last 5 years, so don't bother keeping the brown boxes etc for them.