1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build boot/ display/ power issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moleo, 27 Mar 2011.

1. Moleo

Moleo What's a Dremel?

The build consists of:

i5 2500k
    Asus P8P67
    MSI GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr2
    8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance
    Antec TruePower 650W
    Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb
    Gelid Tranquillo
    Fractal Design Define R3

I'm running Windows 7.

The problem is that it seems to only work once or twice a day. It works well enough for me to be using it right now to post, but everyday once I shut it down it won't power up again for the rest of the day, or when it does it won't display.

Any suggestions?
    (Thanks in advance)

2. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

First thing to check is all the connections on the board. Not sure off top of my head but does the board have a power button? If so does it boot from that?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

In addition, Check your temperature. Some computers don't power up until it's cooled off completely, when an overheating issue occurs.

If that doesn't sea, the case and you stress your GPU and CPU for at least an hour and no problem occurs, and your computer is able to cool off the heat. Then it could be a faulty PSU.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

When you installed the Gelid Tranquilo cooler, did you remove the plastic that protects the cooler mating surface during shipping?

How much thermal paste did you apply to the cooler when installing it? A pea size amount?

Sorry if this sounds like you don't know what you are doing but you wouldn't believe some of the things that end up here. It is hard to tell from your post what you level of knowledge is.

5. Moleo

Moleo What's a Dremel?

The MB doesn't have an on board power/reset button, but is correctly connected to the case power switch.

I've put in an extra 120mm fan at the front and even having run Shogun 2 Total War at full spec does not seem to have pushed it above the 50s (Celsius). I will have a go at stressing both when I next get it on. A problem with the PSU would seem to make sense however, any ideas whether it would be something home fixable?

I did remove the plastic film, and I've removed the gelid, taken all the thermal paste off and reapplied but it doesn't appear to have had an effect.

Don't worry, this is my first build so I probably have done something wrong, just struggling to figure out what it could be causing it to work fine sometimes, and not at all others.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

1. When your computer won’t power up next. Try and clear the CMOS and see if that helps.
    2. If not, unplug it from the mains, and see if that helps. After a short while the PSU will reset itself, and if it works again then, its probably a faulty/overheating PSU
    3. If not again, unplug the front panel header and start it by connecting the two power pins with something. It might be a faulty front panel header and the mobo is set in permanent reset mode.

7. Moleo

Moleo What's a Dremel?

Thank you all for your suggestions, from what you've said it seems highly likely that the PSU is faulty/ overheating, I'm assuming there's nothing I can do about that except get it replaced?

8. Moleo

Moleo What's a Dremel?

Oh actually, I had another question:

I installed the OS on my SSD, before I even had the HDD (samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb). When I recieved the HDD I installed it and (eventually) got the computer powered up and booted up, however the HDD does not show up anywhere in the OS even though the MB acknowledges it.

What have I dong wrong/ not done?
    Cheers again people

9. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management

then go down to disk management and you should see the disk there without a partition. Just right click on the disk and hit format. Make sure you choose NTFS file system and Quick Format.

Some screenshots on what Computer Manager looks like

Alternatively, go to start and type "diskmgmt.msc" to get to Disk Manager

Last edited: 28 Mar 2011
  10. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

I think that you should first rule out your PSU as it could severely damage your hardware if it's defective.
    Swap your PSU and see what happens. Any good friend that would lend you one ?? xD

After that, if you say that sometimes it won't display anything, you have to check whether it's booting or not. Turn on your speakers and check for sound. If that's the case your VGA might be the problem.

Just now i remembered something. Your board should have LEDS near critical components such as memory, VGA, CPU,... that indicate which piece of hardware is failing to boot. Read the user manual of your mobo and check those leds. They could give us a hint to solve your problem...

------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: bad news for you. I've checked the feactures that come with your mobo and there're only leds for ram and power status. Leds for the cpu, vga and hdd are included on higher models...

Last edited: 29 Mar 2011