Windows Freeze at start-up Win7

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by KrNSight3, 2 Apr 2011.

1. KrNSight3

KrNSight3 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, so last night I was watching a show and because I was lazy I decided to put a sleep timer on the PC instead of manually shutting it off after I was done watching the show.

I woke up to my PC being frozen, and when I reboot it, there was a mini hiccup at the windows logo stage of the start-up, and the computer freezes with a black screen and the mouse pointer in the middle of the screen.

I went into safe-mode, and saw a bunch of 7001 Event ID (Service Control Manager) and 10005 Evid ID (DistributedCOM) errors, most ending with the message "The dependency service or group failed to start" or "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service with arguments to run the server" respectively

Thoughts?

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Feck knows :/ Don't put it to sleep with a timer? Does it not boot up right at all after that??

3. KrNSight3

Not normally no

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Weird. Cus I'm a noob, I'd just plain format that sucker. :lol: Don't suppose there's any point updating your bios, if there is an update, and reverting all settings to default in your bios?

Last edited: 2 Apr 2011
  5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You used a program to for the sleep timer, right?

6. KrNSight3

7. GoodBytes

I don't see any timer functionality. All I see is restart, shut-down and lock buttons.

Al I am thinking now is that you installed malware that looks like a gadget but is a program, and it screwed up your Windows, especially if you needed to give it (setup or the program itself) true admin privileges. OR it could be a coincidence where it's a malware/virus you got and it screwed up your computer, so the sleep/wake-up process didn't work, And probably Windows tried to restart the failed drivers, which restarted the virus/malware driver and broke Windows.

Here is what you can do. Windows 7/Vista allows you to go back in time your system.
    Boot from Windows 7/Vista, on the panel where you have the "Install" button, you have a small white link at the bottom left corner of that panel, that says something like "Repair computer".
    Click on it. And you'll see an option "restore computer" or something like that. Click on that, wait a moment for it to load, and you can pick a time where your computer was operational.

If the list is empty, then 100% a malware/virus attack, cease they usually force delete the index table related to restore points on your system.
    If they all don't work, then it could an HDD or RAM or SATA controller failure. Test your RAM (see Windows Visyta/7 repair section, for HDD and SATA controller, it could have been a normal bug failure. I had that with my Intel X58 board (my first Intel board), and now I decided to not trust Intel, and used my other controller, my Marvel SATA-3 SATA controller, so far no issues.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2011
  8. KrNSight3

The gadget is one I've downloaded from the Windows link so I don't think it's that...(I've also had it and used it for many months now...this was mainly to tell how this problem occurred)

I put in my win7 CD, and in the repair start-up section, it tells me to remove any newly added component of the PC (say like a camera or w/e). I haven't added any new devices besides my external which I unplugged and it gives me the same message. I can't install a new copy of windows because that requires me to reboot the PC normally then stick the CD in, and my PC freezes at start-up.

Any other suggestions?

9. GoodBytes

What? Don't do a "Startup repair", do a "System restore"

[​IMG]
    Second option.

Also, you don't need to be in Windows to install Windows... how are you supposed to do it the first time, if that is the case? No you don't need to create time rupture in the space time continuum to do this.

You can boot from the disk like I said, to run Windows 7 repair as I told you. But instead or click on "repair your Windows" you click on "Install" button
    [​IMG]

10. KrNSight3

I disabled system restore >.<

As for option #2, that takes me to the system recovery options page...

11. GoodBytes

Well next time don't disable it. :)