1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Coolermaster HAF X or Silverstone TJ07

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kryten2340, 23 Apr 2011.

?

Which case?

1. Coolermaster HAF X

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Silverstone TJ07

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Other

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Kryten2340

Kryten2340 What's a Dremel?

I've just been in my store and seen these cases close up physically for the 1st time and I have to say I'm impressed with the Silverstone so I'm wondering what people think of it? To me there seems a lot more room in the Silverstone and got bags of airflow but is it really worth the extra £100?

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If your air cooling then the silverstone should be ignored.

Have a look at the Raven RV02 as well.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I personally think the TJ07 is the best case ever made.
    If I could afford one, then I'd defo have one ;)

4. Strudul

Strudul ~

HAF X looks so ugly :/

5. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

The TJ07 whilst my favourite case ever built to date (Yes I have one :) ) is not ideally suited to air cooling without modding it.

If your after out of the box cooling then your better suited to the HAF X if however your going to watercool your rig then yes undoubtedly the TJ07 can't be beaten :thumb: :D

6. Kryten2340

I'm going to be using the Corsair H70. Does that make any difference?

7. Strudul

Strudul ~

H70 is not really watercooling so you want a case designed for air cooling

8. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

I would look at the Silverstone Raven RV02 or the SilverStone FT02B. The TJ07 is only viable if you need room for big radiators when watercooling.

9. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I had my TJ07 aircooled before I added the loop and it was pretty poor for air cooling, mainly in the graphics card area. I did change the fan orientation though and fitted an intake to the front (for the hard disks) and made the rear fans exhaust which gave a slight improvement. I put 2 fans in the case side to help improve the gfx cooling which helped. I do remember that the CPU ran cooler using a TRUE with the case side off no matter what orientation the case fans were.

10. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

I do believe there is about a 5-10 degree temperature difference between the same setup in a tj07 and something like a hafx, or better yet as murraynt said the RV02, as others have said the tj07 is not very good for air cooling, if your just thinking of sticking on air for the time being and sometime in the near future want to watercool, unquestionably you should go with the TJ07, I wish I had tbh, rather than having to mod this antec 1200 to fit everything inside, but then again I've found my PERFECT watercooling case for an amazing price, so it kinda doesn't matter to me anymore, (thankyou xigmatek) :D you'll be able to get away with a h70 on the cpu if your bring cool air in from the outside, but your graphics card will be TOASTY!

11. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

The Coolermaster HAF X is possibly the most noisiest case I have ever heard...

12. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

Indeed, I think I will to pick up a Elysium when socket 2011 is out :D can't wait :rock:

13. Kryten2340

Nah I don't know if I've got the balls to go water cooling as I don't know if I could trust myself to do it right. I've built quite a few rigs using air cooling but I don't want to dabble in water which is why I've gone for the enclosed setup with the H70.

Is there any other cases other than the HAF X you guys would recommend then? I think this is what I will inevitibly end up going for.

14. ltlukelt

ltlukelt What's a Dremel?

The HAF X is your best bet out of the two. An excellent alternative however would be a RV02 or FT02 as others have said ;)

15. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Mate I'm picking one Up as soon as there out, can't wait for that case to hit UK shores :D

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm still addicted to the TJ-11... I need help I think...

17. Kryten2340

HAF X it is then. Now I need to work out how and if I can get a 7.1 home cinema system in a small 8 by 6 foot bedroom ;-)

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just go for the best 2.1 system you can get. So many of my mates have 7.1 systems that either aren't setup right or are treated like a 2.1 system. Their thinking is that more speakers = better. This is only true if your willing so slash out for them. I'm thinking about that lovely Corsair system Bit-Tech recently reviewed, pitty it has blue bits on it :(

19. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

I have to say, the coolermaster is one ugly case. I had the smaller one and it has some good features but it looks like a 80's teenagers dream!

I would say the silverstone is a lovely case but only really worth it if you intend to get some water cooling.

Have you thought of the coolermaster atcs 840?

It costs about the same as the HAF case. It has many of the same features. You can fit a 120x3 rad in the top later if you want proper water cooling but best of all, it looks great!

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Oooooh yes, the ATCS 840. Shame on me for not suggesting the same. Buy one of those, as it's massively better in every way...