1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks I sold out. Need wireless router help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WhiteKnight226, 12 Jun 2011.

1. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

So after as much s**t as I have talked about playing xbox I bought one due to all my friends having one.

I have a slower DSL connection(like 3mb/s slow) as that is the only speed I can currently get. The wireless part of my router tends to always DC if I have my laptop and xbox running at the same time. I need to get a new one I believe.

I have AT&T. My router is a white 2Wire. It's the modem/wireless router in 1 thingy. As it is old and out dated since N routers have come out(which I still believe is the newest) I want to get one of those.

I have no idea at all on Modem/Router tech and need help on what I should get. I want to replace this thing completely lol. I just don't want a linksys as I hate them though.

2. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Nothing particularly wrong with the xbox, just not as powerful or flexible as the PC.

If you haven't upgraded routers in a while then you should be pleasantly surprised. I just gave an old wireless-N router to a mate who was rocking an 802.11b router ... there's a good 12x-20x speed difference (device to device of course, rather than internet).

Just look for an ADSL2+/ADSL Wireless-N Router. You're right that 'N' is the current version. You are US, but here's UK examples:

1, 2, 3

I tend to buy netgear, but that's just me. I also now only buy devices with gigabit ethernet, but this doesn't matter unless you're pushing big files around your wired network device to device.

Have fun with the 'box.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2011
  3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

HAHAHAHAHAH... I have Bell ISP in Canada... and I have the same white shitty 2wire modem/router. And mine is "new".

2Wire is a company that should be banned world wide of selling their products. It's neither a modem or router... it's just a box that doesn't work right in any way. I had the same problem, as you.

Anyway, what you need to do, is use your own router with the modem/router. As you can't disable the 2Wire router, you need to set so that the Ethernet port that leads to your own has a full pass though (all ports open). The first you connect and set up everything, you will need to play by reseting the modem and your router several times, until the stupid 2Wire re3alizes that it's a router connected to it, and not a computer, and have your setup working. I spent 45min playing around. The technique was that the router is connected, then I put power to the 2Wire vomit. The computer is linked to the other Ethernet port of the 2Wire thing to access the modem/router settings (NOT the router). Once the 2wire connects on the internet (go take a cup of coffee and a break at the bathroom, or 2, as it takes ages to connect), now reset your own router (unplug, and plug back). Now that is done. In the 2wire settings, enable dmz access for the router, and save. Once done, reset your modem and router power. Once the 2wire is connected on the internet, restart the router, so that it's able to get the IPS addresses, and all work.

I use a Linksys router. I have the Linksys 160N. It's not full N support (ie: not dual band support), but it's faster than G, and network video steaming works (tested with Windows media Player 12).

NOTE: If you randomly loose internet access completely, but you see your 2wire thing still connected. Simply restart the router (unplug power... wait 2-3 seconds, and plug it back)

4. aka_jesse

aka_jesse What's a Dremel?

From personal experience, netgear are by the best brand for routers. I've used about 6 different ones and the Netgear wireless n one I have now has the best connection, by speed and quality. Had two PC's, a ps3 and ipod touch connected at the same time and there has never been a problem.

5. PyrO_PrOfessOr

PyrO_PrOfessOr What's a Dremel?

I'm inclined to agree with this. Any Netgear routers I've owned have always served me well. I'm included to also recommend linksys too, as in my experience they are really reliable if not a tad expensive.

6. GoodBytes

I agree also, Netgear is an excellent brand. I also put Linksys as well. BUT, like any router... you always get what you paid for. If you get the lowest end model.. expect a horrible experience, but if you get a med-high range model (or higher) than you get the best experience. The reason for that is simple, they produce the high end level, do deep test and well develop it. Than they start cutting out features for lower end models, down to using slower processors and lower component quality. In addition, to achieve a competitive low prices at the low end model, not only the router is already cut out and low end components are used, but testing and quality control is reduced, to allow the router to be competitively priced.

Like motherboard BIOS, I recommend to upgrade the form ware of your router to the latest version, before using it, to ensure the best experience and security.

PyrO_PrOfessOr likes this.
  7. PyrO_PrOfessOr

+1 for this - you really get what you pay for. My current router cost me...well the original one cost me £100 and it was top of the range at the time. Belkin replaced it for me with a newer model because I had a few issues with the first one, but its a £120 Belkin Play Max Modem Router (I got it simply because it support gigabit ethernet at the time) and it really has been excellent.

Although if Netgear would shift their a*ses and get some N, gigabit Modem Routers onto the market i would be updating...

Compared to some £30 routers I have used/fitted, it really is worth digging a little deeper.

8. WhiteKnight226

I can't get my laptop to sync with my xbox, gives me the whole, "you need an N router" message

9. aka_jesse

aka_jesse What's a Dremel?

very true, this Netgear one is the most expensive i've had, £80, so not exactly rediculous. Belkin never played nice for me though, was somebody else's when at uni and it did not like my computer at all, sometimes it's just down to luck as well!

10. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Always buy Netgear myself they just work great every time and simple to set up my phone / laptop and tablet all connect wireless and my 4 pc's all hard wired to it never had a problem with them.

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

+1 for netgear, super easy to setup and generally problem free unless you try to setup stuff you don't know about :hehe:

12. WhiteKnight226

Ok, so trying to understand what some of you have said. Is it possible to completely get rid of this 2Wire modem/router and replace is with a netgear or do I have to just buy a netgear wireless router and connect it to the modem?

13. GoodBytes

you can't.. you need the modem part of your 2wire modem/router.
    Unless, AT&T is VERY nice, and give your the DSL connection information to their server, so that you can get your own DSL modem and use that.. but don't get your hopes up. 99.99% chances it's no, unless MAYBE if you go with large business service with them.. and even then.

14. WhiteKnight226

I'll just threaten to cancel my service due to their shitty service

15. PyrO_PrOfessOr

Normally, at least in the UK, if you have ADSL you have access to you username and password from day one. Assuming you could get these (I would check your original letter from AT&T just n case) you can get a modem/router and just use the same settings.

You can also check in your router configuration screen and see if you just need a username to connect to the the service as you can just lift this straight off the 2wire router and use it in a new one.

16. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Yeah - never heard of an ISP that wouldn't give you your username, pass, and settings to connect your own adsl router?? Then again, I've never come across AT&T.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Can you not just copy the settings out of the 2wire's config pages? Surely they should give you the needed info to use a 3rd party modem? That's ridiculous!

18. PyrO_PrOfessOr

If the password is ****** out though you'd need to have a written copy of it somewhere.

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

TL-WR941ND
    Best router I ever used. its from TP-Link
    and for gods sake use a LAN cable for gaming. You lose about 30% speed over WLAN and there will always be connection interrupts due to wireless security re-syncs.