1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Digital Economy Act appeal denied

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 22 Jun 2011.

1. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

2. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Meh, not bothered. Its not possible to monitor everyone anyway.

3. shadows

shadows What's a Dremel?

Great firewall of the UK anyone?

This isn't going to work, costs will be too much and once again the tax payer is paying to keep the record and film industries in profit. If they can't change with the modern times then they deserve to be left in the past.

Ed: In terms of failed gov IT projects, anyone remember the Firelink project? With the nine regional control centers?

4. faceplant

faceplant What's a Dremel?

i foresee central gov websites going tits up if you kow what i mean.

So theoretically 99.9% of users on the internet in the UK are about to be banned, I'd like to see the ISP's bottom line when ppl stop paying their monthly fee's. But I suspect if you do get banned new T&Cs will state you still have to pay your monthly fee until contract end.

5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Really?! Because from what I've seen, if you are a gamer then you've suffered, otherwise, dictatorships, toxic dumpers, arms dealers, Guantanamo ... all gone untouched ... go figure.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Hmmm, don't like & not for the piracy, couldn't give a bleep about that, it's the privacy invasion I don't like & in the name of the entertainment industry :lol: oh yeah that's a very entertaining thought all of us losing our privacy while at home relaxing just for them, not enough that we have cameras stalking us everywhere, now we're gonna have internet stalkers too :duh:.

Great fun :rolleyes:.

As payback for this I refuse to buy movies/music/tv show packs but I'll keep supporting the games industry at least that's worth supporting.

7. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

I have written and sent this to my MP. Won't do anything I am sure but worth a shot.

I would like to tell you I am very disappointed with a lot of this governments' policies regarding technology matters. On so many of the issues the government not only doesn't seem to understand the salient points but also only listens to the narrow minded views of industry and business who themselves have not progressed with the technological revolution and who don't understand the market they find themselves in. They attempt to persuade the government to legislate on the Internet as if it were the original retail sphere which is hugely different from the state of the internet today and in the future.

The narrow minded backward-looking approach to this when innovation is so high reduces growth within the sector as well infringing on peoples' rights within this area just because it is new. Do not allow draconian and police-state laws a place within the UK just because it is within a sphere that most MPs do not have high level knowledge or understanding of. To enhance MPs' understand and knowledge you need to change who you talk to. The people you should be speaking to are not multi-national corporations who are stuck a decade or more in the past with their understanding of business on the net (RIAA, MPAA etc). Instead you should discuss the issues with those who actually know what is happening on the net and who understand the changes that are happening. These groups include start up Web firms taking part in Web 2.0, high level web-users such as moderators and admins for major social sites and advanced level internet users such as myself who take part in this new media with enthusiasm. Do not destroy the internet within the UK through short-sightedness and lack of understanding.

This a complex issue for which you need proper advice and explanation and currently all the goverment appears to receive is one sided requests for control from the group of people who know the least about how the internet is progressing and most importantly have not attempted to change despite years of innovation. The internet is a new medium, it needs new understanding, not old regulatory systems cobbled together into a restrictive nightmare. I hope you read this along with other requests and see to it that the real people who use the internet are not ignored under the thumb of repressive corporations.

8. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

I don't doubt those numbers. Thing is a download doesn't equal a lost sale. There are no decent statistics on how many of these people would have bought avatar tickets or dvds if they didn't have the opportunity to download. Or how many did buy them after downloading.

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Must be enormous. I got 50 meg connection. I can download hundreds of gigs per week if I want, and that's just me (and my bro). I think hundreds of thousands of petabytes doesn't even come close.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Each one of those is still copyright infringement, though. It's like double parking when no one else would have parked in the other spot anyway, can't prove either way but you're still in the wrong.

Sucks to be you guys. Hoping the US doesn't follow in the trend. I'm quite anti-piracy but this is not the way to go about stopping it.

11. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Hasn't there been a rumbling that it is actually against human rights to cut of internet? Read it somewhere, as France and another country are being taken to court.

12. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

I'm afraid your analogy is flawed. The only way it would be like double parking is if you could extend the space at will to add a new car as there is no physical space lost. You haven't prevented someone else from using the space.

13. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

One of my news feeds linked to a story saying you guys are following us. The RIAA etc pushing for the 3 strikes rule and monitoring. I can't locate it though, I have too many to search through.

Tags: Add Tags