1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Ocz vertex 3...are they any good

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by numanoid, 27 Jun 2011.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Hi guys
    i was thinking of buying an ocz vertex 3 120gb SSD next week, are they realy any good, are they worth the £200+ or is there a better one out there aor coming out
    thanks
    take care

Last edited: 27 Jun 2011
  2. Drekz

Drekz What's a Dremel?

Absolutely.

They're the fastest SSds around, with amazing sequential read/write speeds, although their random reads are somewhat overshadowed by the Intel 510/Crucial M4s - this shouldn't be too noticeable or major though, don't let that be a setback :) Other than that, performance wise overall is top notch.

I own a Vertex 3 MAX IOPS and it's one heck of a speed-demon (was upgrading from an good ol'Intel-X25M).

There have been some recent firmware issues however which has put the OCZ community (as well as potential customers) in a dismay, but the latest one seems to be perfectly fine.

3. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Are there any new SSD's coming out

4. onthejazz

onthejazz What's a Dremel?

Be careful, I have one and they are great running my os but suddenly the drive disappeared on boot.

Google OCZ vertex 2.6 firmware.

I'm not the only one to have this trouble.

5. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

6. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Oh right, thanks for that jazz, i only wanted it for my os, so is it worth me buying the 120gb or shall i get a smaller one
    thanks matey
    take care

7. GeneGenie

GeneGenie What's a Dremel?

If you're just putting your OS on there you could get away with using a smaller drive. I have a 120GB SSD with Windows 7, all my programs and 3 games installed and I've used 72GB (46.7GB of which is the games). The Windows folder is 17.5GB.

8. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Cheers genie, ill take a look at the smaller ones mate
    thanks again

9. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Thanks james ill take a look at Mushkin's ssd's

edit....how does the mushkin callisto 120gb compare to the vertex 3 120gb
    thanks mate

Last edited: 27 Jun 2011
  10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Knowing your luck, lightning will strike the post man just as he's about to deliver the SSD and the dog will defecate all over it. Then I'd imagine some relative staying the weekend will pop it in the toaster at some point! I'm not ruling out a tsunami, earthquake or fire-storm either. Should just forget the idea and stick with a nice traditional Hard Disk Drive! ;)

But the Vertex 3 really kicks ass for loading up Games and Windows!

11. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Lmao cheers blogins....knowing my luck an astaroid will him my house....i might still look at the vertex 3....mabe the problems are sorted now lol....knowing my luck i doubt it lol
    cheers matey

12. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

There's been a 2.9 f/w out since last Tuesday which, based on the feedback, has further reduced the number of people (a tiny minority) who are now having problems - though it apparently slows the sequential speeds slightly (this should be fixed in future f/w revisions as it's obviously not the major concern - & people who don't have any issues with 2.06 are being advised not to flash for the sake of it).

So 'maybe' hanging on to an old revision that is causing issues on your machine isn't the best idea(?).

[Oh, & there was also a 2.08 f/w (which apparantly helped very few people, but didn't add any problems) two Wednesdays ago.]

Yeah, as far as has been established, the original issue is from Microsoft &/or intel altering something in either Windows &/or the drivers without telling the manufacturers & also has affected non-V3 drives.

As to the best 120GB drive, it's currently the max iops version of the V3 - significantly faster than the normal V3... ...but if you want a non-SF drive then the intel 510 would be your best choice.