1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Does anyone know about OBDII scanners?

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 3 Jul 2011.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Guys,

I'm planning on doing a lot more servicing and work on my cars in the future, and I'm sure that an OBD2 scanner will come in handy.

The thing is, there so many of them. I've been reading up, and I've just got myself more confused over what I need.

Whatever I get needs to work on the Jag (S-Type Diesel) and the Golf (Mk5 Diesel). I don't expect it to work with the Gooster, as it's an old, pre OBD BMW interface.

Can someone advise? I know that there are specific VAG units, but then a lot of them seem to indicate that they'll do all cars...

I think I'd like a standalone unit - not a PC based one (Mainly as it'a going to live in the garage, and also due to the fact that I run Macs).

Here's what I think may be a candidate:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-MS5...2588179287706247&_qi=RTM742988#ht_5218wt_1165

Ta

GOO

2. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

Hi GOO

for the Mk5 diesel golf - same i have- i would recommend nothing other than a vagcom cable. its effectively dealer level stuff, you can clear codes across ALL the controllers within the car along with playing around with some of the settings to enable extra 'hidden' features etc etc

I didnt pay for the ross-tech one, however, the one i bought off ebay for £24 has thus far not missed a beat and indeed it does do ordinary OBD scanning too.

I'm not sure whether jaguar have their own protocol like vag do, or if you just want an obd scanner for the jag, in which case get the chinese vag com!

it does mean its tied to a PC however, its fully worth it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...vag-com-vagcom-SUPER-QUALITY-wholesalers.html

thats the exact one. pay with paypal after selecting UK as shipping destination and enjoy!

3. GreatOldOne

Thanks - but I do want a stand alone one.

Anybody else?

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I thought the idea behind OBDII was for all brands to use the same protocol. (For reading data, that is). If you want to write, then every brand is different, yes.

And I do believe that you could read the memory from the gooster. You will need an adapter, as the earlier BMW engines (Up to 2001, i think) had a different connector (Large round one with a screw-on cap)

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Should you happen to own an Android handset there is an app called torque that should allow you to read the error codes, if you have a Bluetooth model? Not sure if that is any help to you or not? I am toying with the idea of getting one myself, but I think my Pug is a bit too old.

6. GreatOldOne

I just found this in my googling:

http://www.yhasi.com/index.html

Native OSX OBD software. Which looks pretty nifty - but I wonder if I want my mac to get all oily. ;)

7. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I have the cheaper version of the Autel in your link. It will clear fault codes and show current readings etc from the ECU.

To work on diesels they need to be 2004 onwards though.

VAG-COM is definitely the ultimate when you have a VW, the amount you can do with it is unreal.

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It will come in handy, about once every blue moon depending on the quality and age of your car.

I'd love one as I have always done 100% of my own servicing and repair work on all of my cars & bikes, but I've only ever 'needed' one once in nearly 20 years and in that instance a paperclip showed me ehat I needed to know

9. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

i have THIS. its not expensive or fancy, but it allows you to read and clear codes and monitor supported OBDII compatible PIDS (so no body/ABS/SRS related data). we have a $6,000 Verus at the shop i work at and i find myself using my simple little Launch more often than the Verus.