1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Retailer troubles - Monitor (U2311) and GPU conundrum

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gould, 5 Jul 2011.

1. Gould

Gould What's a Dremel?

Alright chaps

Monitor dilemma:

I’m looking to buy the Dell U2311 but I’m quite worried that I’ll get one with defects (its apparently considered lucky to receive one without pixel defects). Scan is my retailer of choice but I understand some people on here would never buy a monitor from scan due to their policy on pixel defects (just like other retailers) coupled with the fact that the monitor is bought from a middleman and thus the monitor warranty will be < 3 years and, crucially, > 1 month; this means that should I need to return the monitor after a week (outwith DSR) then I’ll get a refurbished model instead. At least that my understanding of the situation, hope I’m wrong.
    So does this mean my ‘safest’ place of purchase would be from Dell directly? I know their refurbished monitors are supposed to be of a high standard but I don’t want to spend my cash only to end up with a refurbished and older revision monitor, dammit!

GPU dilemma:

Another cautious approach with regards to returns here. I understand OCUK is by far the worst for returns, but they are the only retailer selling the 5850 at the time of checking.
    The XFX is apparently cool n quiet and is reasonably priced.
    The MSI is at a very reasonable price on Aria at the minute. I understand they are quite difficult when it comes to returns as well; tis the only thing holding me back unless you guys know of a better deal.

Please note I’m not a red team fanboy, certainly open to suggestions of nvidia cards. Just seems like ATI/AMD have the better deals just now. Just looking for a reasonably quick card with an emphasis on quietness/low temps.

Sapphire 5850 Xtreme (OCUK)
    XFX 6870 BE (Dual fan cooler) (Scan)
    MSI r6870 twin frozr II (Aria)
    Another GPU between £100 - £150

All help appreciated.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This is Dell UK policy:
    http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...re/en/returns_entry?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs
    (it sucks btw... in Canada and U.S it's 21 days as the law is 15 days)
    Now, if you mention dead pixels, most likely the Customer representative will direct you to Dell Tech support (which you don't want, as you'll end up with a refurbished), and pointed to a dead pixel policy page, saying we don't cover you, because you have under x amount of dead pixel (6 I think for the U series, 1 or more bright-pixel though). If you do have 6 dead pixel, you might want to make sure you tell customer service that this is a defect, and you want a new one (ie: don't go through tech support).

If you mention 1 or more bright pixel, then it's a new monitor, as it's considered a defect. You should not have a problem there.

Scratch stand, or monitor frame or anywhere for that mater is considered a defect, and you'll get a new one. But you need to inform them as soon as you get the monitor, as scratches aren't covered by the warranty, obviously.

I never order from Scan.. as well I am not in the U.K.

I don't think there is a dead pixel problem with the Dell U2311H. It is a popular model though, and I think the percentage of getting bad pixels is the sale as any LG monitors (The Dell U2311H is using an LG panel), and any other non-professional monitors.

But it is smart to think ahead, like you are. It's good to have your card ready in the case such bad luck arrives. Sadly I can't help you much there, as I don't know U.K retailers.

My suggestion for a GPU, as we are ~6month away from a new (or announced) powerful new Nvidia series GPU from being released.... if you can wait.. it might be beneficial for you. And if it's not (too expensive for example, or the release date is later.. the announcement should start driving prices down, so you win there.

That is if you can wait... In my case I have a Geforce GTX 260, and I decided to wait.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2011
    Gould likes this.
  3. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Scan : £233.39
    Dell Home: £238.80
    Dell Small Business : £207.84 (plus you can get £5 cash back sign up link)

£30 saving buying through dell.:clap:

Another GPU - towards top of budget but you just saved £30!
    GTX 560 1GB

Last edited: 6 Jul 2011
    Gould likes this.
  4. Sagman76

Sagman76 What's a Dremel?

Hi
    I own the u2311 and it's ace. A deal came up in Hotukdeals through Dell business and a lot bought it I think one got a stuck pixel. I am pretty sure this monitor has a lifetime dead pixel warranty anyway through both home and business. I have rma'd stuff to Dell before with no issue and had good service, I'm sure others will differ. Same with all companies though. Go through Quidco and they pay you an extra 10% back. For the money it's a cracking monitor.

Gould likes this.
  5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

6. Gould

Gould What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

Sorry for not replying, been working 70+ hour weeks recently. I spoke to Dell, couldn’t get the monitor until next Friday (which is no use as I might not be around to accept the delivery). Ended up buying it from ebuyer with next day delivery....this thing definitely lives up to the hype. My god its good. Especially so considering I was using this before.

Revision A03 and no pixel defects. Awesome.

Thanks for your input guys, + rep to all.

Tags: