News Steam not listed in Battlefield 3 release plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jul 2011.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Although Steam was in it's infancy, we had the same problem with BF2. I just think this is an EA hang up at not taking the download gaming by storm.

Steam just makes gaming easier, why complicate things EA?

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

The support I expect and deserve is you providing me the option to use my preferred digital distribution system, regardless of how you feel about them cock blocking your data mining, er I mean, close relationship with me. Just upload your patches to the Steam servers FFS.

3. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Gah, what a disappointment. I know it's not the end of the world but I could do without another sign in and another program or service to install on my PC.

This just reeks of sour grapes from EA. They're doing the equivalent of taking their ball and going home.

4. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I shall be surprised if this isn't borne out over time to be the thin end of the wedge...

5. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

just because it wasnt listed on a prelim list doesnt mean it wont be sold on steam. The same thing happened with alice: madness returns. At the end of the day, I think steam may end up rethinking its terms of service, EA games make steam a fair chunk of money that they probably dont want to lose out on.

6. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

F*** EA.

Y U NO STEAM?

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I really hope they don't. The terms of service that EA is breaching is refusing to put their patches into Steam and are making them exclusive to the origin service. The whole concept of Steam beyond the excuse for DRM was it automatically updates your games, which worked great with all the free patches and content CS:S had, etc. Compromising that undermines a good portion of their service.

8. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

How long now before activision start marketing MW3 as "fully compatable with steam"

9. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Surely you mean: "Modern Warfare now exclusive to Activisions bloatware new download service"

10. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Fine then EA i just wont buy it, Origin is a PoS.

11. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Steam works this way for some software. Atari's Test Drive Unlimited 2 works in precisely this way - you can buy it on Steam but when you launch it from Steam, it runs Atari's launcher, which is where the updates come from. Or at least they would do if Atari hadn't shot itself in the foot buy all-but closing down the game's developers, Eden.

Still, it proves that Steam is open to allowing developers systems to manage patches, etc.

12. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

There's nothing specifically wrong with Origin, I don't really get all the hate. Their games are no more expensive than Steam most of the time, and they do offer discounts and stuff (for instance, they sent me a £10 off voucher for my birthday when it was the EA Store). I bought Shift 2 with said voucher, and all it does is download it, creates and sorts the in game account for you and installs it where you choose (typically program files). You can run the .exe without Origin running, so it's no big deal (I run Shift 2 through Steam). It's basically a slightly more refined version of EADM with communications and stuff.

Besides, it'll be on Steam anyway.

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Thing is, EA are making a fuss like they can provide a good customer service. Well, they need to pull their bootstraps up, because the last time I had to e-mail EA about a problem, they gave me one heck of a runaround before trying to fix it.

14. CrazyBlade

CrazyBlade What's a Dremel?

Wait a sec, I wanna make sure I got this straight - are you genuinely telling me you would not get what looks like an amazing game just because of the way you have to download??

I despair, I really do.

Who gives a stuff whether you have to use Origin or Steam. It's become far too cool to hate on Origin recently, it really has. The gaming 'community' really needs to pull its' collective head out of its' ass and get over itself. EA has done the commercially correct thing - cutting out the middle man and maximising their profits, as any sensible company should. Who gives a frak how you get it - if it's as good as it looks and it's something you'd love to play, get it.

Quit whining about Origin.

15. brokenthinker

brokenthinker What's a Dremel?

I'm turning from "wow this game looks hot" to "EA ... yawn".

Wait a sec, I wanna make sure I got this straight - are you genuinely telling me you would not get what looks like an amazing game just because of the way you have to download??

I despair, I really do.

Who gives a stuff whether you have to use Origin or Steam. It's become far too cool to hate on Origin recently, it really has. The gaming 'community' really needs to pull its' collective head out of its' ass and get over itself. EA has done the commercially correct thing - cutting out the middle man and maximising their profits, as any sensible company should. Who gives a frak how you get it - if it's as good as it looks and it's something you'd love to play, get it.

Quit whining about Origin.

+1

16. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Well said... !!
    How cares what it's going on.
    At least you might be able to play the game on release date unlike so titles on Steam.
    I'm a fan of Steam, but i'm not throwing my toys out of my pram to miss the game of the year...
    If you want to miss out then unlucky or go buy a console.

17. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

Consider a perspective of someone used to steam and who doesn't really care about the Battlefield games, if I am ever going to consider this game i would need to see it on offer in the steam store. They might not lose many loyal customers but they are putting off new customers. Not clever business sense.

18. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

err, if its not in steam, then get it somewhere else? I don't get why the negative "uuhh ohhh no thanks **** BF3" like attitude coz its not in steam. I love steam, it it aint there it doesnt mean its the end of the world. on a side note, I doubt it won't be on steam, someone on EA just ****ed up, as always

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Somehow I'll think I'll manage without it being on Steam.

20. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Personally I have no problem with Origin. It's about time Steam was taken down a peg or two, and everyone has to start somewhere. People are complaining to EA about things here, but has anyone considered that maybe the issues were created by Valve? Or am I to be castrated for even suggesting that Valve/Steam can do something wrong?

End of the day, I already run Steam and I already run Origin, and have no trouble with either. The games on Origin integrate without issue into Steam, so I can still use the overlay to talk to my friends without having to have the game specifically in Steam.

Tags: Add Tags