1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory new build, ram running too slow?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by chrisb2e9, 20 Jul 2011.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Hello,
    Asus p8p67 pro, 2500K cpu and 8GB of ddr3 1600mhz ram.

This is the ram that I got:
    http://www.mushkin.com/Memory/Redline/996982.aspx
    Type: DDR3
    Voltage: 1.65V
    Speed Spec: PC3-12800
    Frequency: 1600MHz
    tCL: 7
    tRCD: 9
    tRP: 8
    tRAS: 24

In the BIOS it is set to 1600MHZ 1.6V and the timings are set.

In windows in CPU-Z it says 824MHZ with a FSB:DRAM of 1:6
    The timings however are all correct for what they should be.
    Any idea why this is?

2. Wedvich

Wedvich What's a Dremel?

You have to multiply what CPU-Z says by 2 to see what your RAM is running at. So if it says DRAM Frequency 824 MHz, it's actually running at 1648 MHz.

3. chrisb2e9

ok, cool. Need to figure out why this thing doesn't feel any faster than my old rig then...

Which was a q6600 at 2.8ghz. Have the 2500k at 4.4. should be some difference...

4. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

what programmes are you running to compare it with? Im pretty sure its faster :)

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

As I said... computer performance speed increase has reduced on every new models.

When I passed form an Athlon XP 2500+ OC'ed 3.2GHz, to a AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2GHz, it was night and day. The same when I upgraded from a P3 to my Athlon XP.

Now upgrading from Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (which I still have and use at my father place, run WIn7 64-bit with Aero without close of any issue (Vista 64-bit before)), to a Core i7 930... it's a bit faster... that is all. Yes games faster, and yes I get to push my GPU (no bottleneck), I'll sayed it it's true.. but the "WOW" factor isn't there.

Another hard hit is HDD.. yes HDD speed got much faster... but it's not fast enough. A Samsung Spinpoint F3 isn't fan enough.. only shaves off a few boot time seconds and 1-2 seconds when loading games.

SSD's is the way to go I imagine.

6. chrisb2e9

you know, i think some of it comes down to vista not having a chance to... cache, or super fetch, or whatever it is the programs yet. on my last pc im sure it had them ready to go and it will speed up quickly.

that and what good bytes said. i should invest in an ssd.

7. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

^ Possibly... You wouldn't notice a real difference anyway just doing everyday things like browsing or whatever. For really intensive tasks like editing/encoding etc. though you would see a difference if you timed it.

Hard drives are still the major "bottleneck", everything else gets faster all the time but that technology hasn't changed in 20 years... sure now it's SATA3 and bigger cache blah blah, but it doesn't matter because we're still dealing with 7200RPM platters and access times have hit a wall. SSD's change all that. When I went from 3GHz dual DDR2 to 3.8GHz quad DDR3 I didn't feel much, but threw in an SSD and now it's night & day.

8. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

+1 with OCJunkie. As soon as I chucked an SSD into my system that was when I really noticed a boost.