1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Time to replace monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Igniseus, 3 Jul 2011.

1. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Guys,

Maybe you can help me with a question?

I have my trusty Syncmaster 226BW - a very worthy monitor in its time.

I am thinking about making the leap to a full HD IPS panel - either the Dell u2311H or the LG ips231p.

The thing is my Syncmaster still looks really nice and is in good condition. It is not like I have some crappy old 19" monitor that is years old.

I ran the Syncmaster through Lagom and it holds up quite well. Its major problem is the viewing angles which are pretty crappy. The Gamma is also slightly off, but I can not seem to adjust this correctly.

Am I going to really notice a huge difference moving to an IPS screen from my Samsung, or will it be more an incremental subtle thing?

Seeing as the LG is going for a song at the moment (under £150 on some sites), is it worth spending more on the Dell?

Cheers,

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Logom test is very visual... it's just to get an idea.. not an actual "my monitor is calibrated".
    It also doesn't cover saturation or color limitation/reproduction, and back light bleeding (you will still have back light bleeding on an IPS panel... especially non-professional ones, but it should be less than your TN monitor, and only visible on a full screen black... a wide screen movie should not make it visible (well.. maybe at the "make me blind" brightness level). Side note: Back light bleeding on IPS panels are on the 4 corners. TN panel is where the light is.

If you want an assured step up, I think the U2410 will be an excellent purchase, and you stay with the 16:10 aspect ratio. It is a little on the expensive side.. but if you want to think it differently... that was the price of a descent flicker-free 17inch CRT... well in Canada at least. So if you come from a CRT, like me, the U2410 is a bargain bin price. It's a little expensive due to the true 8-bit panel, and 10-bit Look Up Table, to be able to produce 1.07 billion colors. Also because 16:10 is a more niche market, and because of all the inputs it supports. And as bonus, the 2 pre-calibrated color profile, with report.

If you don't need a monitor, then save your money.

Going with the U2311H will give over what you have:
    -> no view angle limitation (well.. on the left or right side at 180 degree, you and the back of the monitor, you won't see the image, of course).

-> A bit better colors

-> Better whites due to the high grade CFL lamp

-> Better and fully adjustable stand, and full matte frame

-> Support for Display Port, so you can plug your nice new laptop (usually descent laptops have Display Port these days), or future graphic card

-> And of course, be able to view 1080p content without down scaling.

The LG one doesn't have an as fancy stand (plastic, while the U2311H is in metal.. well they are plastic parts (black), but that's for decoration, metal is under it), white LED's instead of high grade CFL lamp (so the white's will be the same as you have now), and no Display Port.

This video might be interesting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw0acUxMaKo
    Now the pictures at the end that he shows.. is well... limited by your monitor... the U2410 wins every time, by a nice margin.

3. calibromucho

calibromucho What's a Dremel?

Could be just your color setup. I loath the stock setups of all the mainstream companies like Samsung, BenQ, LG etc. I custom tune them and color-match them to professional CRT monitors. The difference is night and day...contrast and brightness settings and black-levels etc are also important of course...