1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard surprised by Diablo 3 DRM reaction

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Aug 2011.

1. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Okay, sorry for seeing this only from my own perspective. There's no reason to be rude though, I wasn't trying to be a troll. All I can say is that every game I know of that requires a permanent server connection while playing is automatically highly resistant to the kinds of cheaters and hackers that ruined the last Diablo game as an online experience.

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The two things are unrelated. Online *only* characters, stored on official servers, to prevent cheating - 100% behind that.

Offline only characters for Single-player action - if people want to dick around with those, who cares, they can't put them on the online servers anyway.

Doesn't that sound better?

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Nobody contested that, but honestly Blizzard is punishing people who can't or won't have a 100% steady always on connection.

For those of us that will not play it online, they just showed us the door.

4. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yes, I suppose you are right there. I was assuming there was some legitimate reason for not allowing offline play at all though. It would be nice if Blizzard could actually clarify why they are doing this, though I suppose if they did have a legitimate reason they would have told us already, thinking about it.

5. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Because the biggest publisher in the world wouldn't lie, right?

They do have a legitimate reason: preventing piracy with little consideration for the needs of their paying customers. Simple as that.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

diablo 3 will sell millions whatever drm they put on it so i cant really say the always online requirement is a shock

7. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

With the real money system there implementing its a neccecity to stop cheaters making real money by hacking and getting rare **** to sell when online.

The sooner you all relise that the better. Its a minor thing, the majority of ppl are always online anyway. And to make the systems there implementing work, they need to do this.

I dont consider this DRM this is balance/cheat protection. This is buyer protection from cheating mofo's

Deal with it and move on. Im sure there will be an offline mode just like starcraft 2. So you can still do all the adventure pizaze.......but not with your online character.

Rly ppl need to think about these things before jsut going off into a rant because they see DRM.

Use your heads ppl.

8. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

^ This. But still, the OTT response of all save files go to the cloud is a but much. Is their security so bad that giving the user a copy of the save files might allow someone to crack their data methods and later edit their memory in real time during a game?

As for the possible "ofline" mode? It doesn't seem that way from the article. He seems to describe gaming alone online rather than off.

9. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

I've played quite a lot of Starcraft 2 which uses the same system without issue so I'm not really worried.

I have no doubt that there will be a offline play mode just as there is in Starcraft 2.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    You never had a router reset ou a connection lost message while playing the SP campaign?

11. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

12. Raijin

Raijin What's a Dremel?

This is why console gamers play on the console, even though there are no mods or all of that good stuff we don't have to deal with this BS. But still this is seriously stupid, why the heck can't they just add an offline mode, Me and my friends don't spend every minute of game time online on the 360, nor do we spend every minute on the computer online either. Diablo 2 was probably one of the best games I've ever played specificaly because it had both and offline and online version. Most people play differently while online in a party, you're more conservative with materials, and less likely to spam meteors while running around like a headless chicken.

13. iggy

iggy Minimodder

why the **** is anyone actually defending this?

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Some advanced form of geek S&M.

15. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

While this really doesn't cause me any trouble since I don't travel much and my pc is rooted to my desk at home, I'm always going to have internet except when my ISP is having issues but those are few and far between for me. My heart goes out to all those working-gamers who have to travel with their laptops to remote locations or those with a limited amount of web data a month from their ISP.

If some sort of offline mode were to be added similar to how Starcraft 2 works then I could see that as being a huge plus for many gamers.

16. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

At last - somebody with some sense. +1 to you, Sir.

17. Locruid

Locruid What's a Dremel?

Ive been fighting my ISP for over a year cause I get 3-6 random disconnects a day. Sometimes I can go a week without issues, other days its so bad I quit playing for the day. They are the ONLY Internet provider out here. We dont get Cable at all and the only other option is Satellite which would cost a damn fortune.

Im severely disappointed in Blizz... I mean Activision. This was my #1 game to buy and even had $100 set aside for it. Since the announcement of DRM, I've spent that money. Im sick and tired of DRM crap and as much as I would like to see a protest, it aint gonna happen. Too many people live in the perfect world of Always on Internet from somewhere or even free Wifi so they have no issues. These people half the time stay within the concrete jungle at all times.

Well sorry, Blizz some of us live out in the boonies and get away from time to time. My Family sometimes goes camping for a week or two and even then I fire up the old Laptop and get an hour in here and there of playing.

it was fun Diablo but I fear for now im playing Torchlight. And as long as they keep off the DRM ill be there. you still get my World of Warcraft Subscription though LOL

18. notacat

notacat What's a Dremel?

I don't consider myself a big gamer, I only buy maybe one or two games a year to play in my limited spare time. When I play computer games, I play them for the content and story in single player mode, and often when I am travelling to help pass the time. When I want to socialize, I hang out with people offline. I'm not willing to pay for internet access in the airport or wherever just to play this game. There are plenty of other options that don't place these restrictions on me. And I certainly have no interest in paying cash for items in their "auction house."

I absolutely loved Diablo and Diablo 2, played both of them through multiple times. I had been really looking forward to Diablo 3, seemed like Blizzard was investing a lot of time to make it a great game. I realize I'm not really their target consumer, it's just sad that they've alienated players like me...

Might just wait for the inevitable crack that allows for offline play before buying. Sorry Blizzard!

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Related:

20. Hutchy

Hutchy What's a Dremel?

I'm in two minds about this.

On one hand I can see Blizzard using the online only argument to better their service, literally because of the companies track record. On the other hand you have Ubisoft who won't be doing it to try and improve their service, putting people at a disadvantage only, without trying to better the experience from requiring an internet connection.

I think it would be pretty cool for example, to log in into say Diablo 3 to find things have been improved in game since the last time I played it, or automatic bug fixes etc.

Tags: Add Tags