1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve trialling Steam Trading

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Aug 2011.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

So put a limit on how many trades a month. Even 2 or something low would be fine :)

2. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Im confused..

3. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

If I can get rid of my useless TF2 crap in exchange for a game then it sounds good to me!

4. CashMoney

CashMoney What's a Dremel?

As many have said, there would have to be limits, and Valve would have to get a slice to make it worthwhile. None of which I personally have an issue with. But I bet publishers of non-Valve games won't even consider it :(
    Another thing, and relates to the limits, something would have to be done about hijackers trading off games from hijacked accounts to their own accounts (or more likely to other hijacked accounts). Perhaps limit the amount of times a game could be traded; game can't be traded until it's 6 months old, and once traded can't be traded again for another 3 months? Or something like that. Won't help too much with hijacked and traded games, but at least it wouldn't be a never ending trail for valve to 'find' your games and means that indie devs won't find groups buying 1 copy for everyone to play. Though of course, they could just buy it once and share the steam account details ...

Very welcome feature for Steam, but lots to think about. Shall be watching how this pan's out with great interest!

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

This is hatness!

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I swear some people actively try to not read the article.

Only games which aren't tied to an account can be played. Things like gift passes which the holder can't play, merely has the ability to give to other accounts. No game which has been tied to an account (and therefore no game which has been installed or played) can be traded.

Trading of gift passes for money via paypal or other compensation has been happening for awhile, just look around on the forums here and there's plenty of game selling and trading. Being limited to TF2 items limits the use of this, but perhaps it'll evolve into a broader system.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2011
  7. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Now that's a feature I'll enjoy. I've already got Fallout 3 twice - during the last sale it was cheaper for me to buy the GOTY edition than get all the DLC. This is an option I can see myself using all the time now - I've got too many games to play already and I've already shown myself how hard it is for me to resist the sales!

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Would be great if it let ou get rid of the bundled games you don't need...
    TF2 for instance ;)
    It was attached to HL2, I don't play it, it clutters up the "my games" section.:D

9. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

XBOX live should have did this years ago, if i get 100% complete on a game with unlocks that should qualify me for X amount of points. At least it would give some real meaning to rewards.

Surprised its taken them so many years to realise that.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Unfortunately, that's not how Valve's system works either. Money still has to go into the system, you can trade your items for games other players have bought, not for games from the store directly.

11. CashMoney

I did read the article. You are correct, but there is nothing in the article above that mentions about the game not being tied to an account. I found that extra bit of information else where.

12. CashMoney

My apologies Sloth, that would be this bit -

"The Steam Trading trial is currently only of limited focus, allowing players to negotiate swaps of Team Fortress 2 unlocks for Steam games that have not yet been added to a player's library."

Tags: Add Tags