1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: C.O.G 12 October | I'M BACK!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Scrappy, 11 Aug 2011.

1. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

[​IMG]

I made some designs using google sketch-up and i came up with many different colour schemes but in the end I settled with a charcoal grey with orange features. I also decided to throw in a little bit of carbon fibre vinyl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I had to show the final side in yellow as for some bizzare reason it didn't want to show up in orange.

So I set to work not thinking bout it and took the whole case apart before taking a picture :duh: :wallbash:. So here is the case in bits..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bottom

[​IMG]
    Back

[​IMG]
    Front

[​IMG]
    Right Side Panel... That I crushed and have tried to flatten

[​IMG]
    Optical Drive Cage

[​IMG]
    Hard Drive Cage

[​IMG]
    Motherboard Tray

[​IMG]
    Back Plate... Which i have cut the bottom two pci slots off

[​IMG]
    Left Side Panel

[​IMG]
    Left Side Panel Marked for cutting with dremel

When your 15 your parents always worn you about safety :sigh:... Glad i had these in my tool box :D
    [​IMG]

So i set to work on the side panel now with my dremel
    [​IMG]

So i used the dremel on lowest speed setting and slowly mowed my way through the side panel till i got this..
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah and a sneak preview of my dogs :thumb::hehe:

I then filed off the lip left when cutting with the dremel because we don't want any sliced fingers
    [​IMG]

That all for today folks but i shall be trying to crack on with it rather quickly as this needs to be finished by september the 14th!

I apologise for my picture quality as they are taken on my Nokia 5530 XpressMusic Phone..
    [​IMG]

Hope you all enjoy my mod as i enjoy yours, mod on.

Scrappy!

Last edited: 12 Oct 2011
  2. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

Sorry for the delay of this project i am now just waiting on sheet metal from Stem83 and i also need to buy all the other modding parts online! will be back to modding after next weekend.. Hopefully!

Scrappy

3. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

1 Big brother + 2 Sheet metal = Rescue?

will give you some sheets this weekend.

Cant believe you got your log on here before me... Im so slow.:eyebrow:

4. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

That should be smashing :D! If i need more would it be possible for u to grab me another 1 or 2 when and if i do need it!?

It's not ur slow its just u have saved urs for one big post i have a small post lol

5. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

Ok so i need a little help im looking at ordering some cable braiding and i don't know what size is for what, i will also need suitable heatshrink.. I have heard that u need 2.5mm cable braid for individual braiding on all wires from the psu and that you need 6mm braiding for SATA cables... please some one help it would be much appreciated!

Scrappy

6. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

Project: C.O.G 23 August

ok so finally i have an update due to some packages so lets start with some packages :D

I had some paint given from a friends but unfortunately i found the paint did not take to the metal as it was a multi-purpose spray but here they are any way...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily due to my brother that i am making the case for works at Halfords and bought some car paint and he got some Ford Electric Orange which is seen on the Ford Focus ST models and he also bought me some Ford Graphite Grey, which is a metallic paint ;)

So anyway I left for my fathers house for the weekend and came back with these from my brother Stem83...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so I returned home and my mother tells me I have packages waiting on my bed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What could this be :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Acrylic for side window :thumb:

[​IMG]
    3mm thick black tinted acrylic

[​IMG]
    Acrylic for the front and other areas of case

[​IMG]
    5mm thick orange acrylic

I thought it would be a good idea to start sounding down parts of the case that were ready for primer so I took one of the right side panel and started sanding by hand :waah:... Don't you hate it when night shift workers are in bed!

[​IMG]
    I hadn't even scratched the surface!

I continued on until 2pm came wit the surface still unscratched when a miracle happened... My mothers partner awoke from his sleep and I could use some power tools :clap: :rock:

So out came the mouse sander!
    [​IMG]

This was sanding it down in no time
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was then told why are you using that.. the bearings are gone in that mouse sander.. :duh: That was why it was vibrating so much.. it was broken when I started and that is why I wasnt getting it done as quick as I would have liked!

So I then discovered something better!
    Upgrade time :clap: :rock:!
    [​IMG]

So I whizzed through the rest of the back side and started on the front side to then be interrupted by what I call the worst thing....... In the world

RAIN!
    [​IMG]

That all for now folk's.. it's another rainy day in the United Kingdom so I'm going to get caught up on my work due to being a student.. Hopefully more to post soon though!

Scrappy

7. bruce_rob

bruce_rob What's a Dremel?

Good start, i loke the idea for the case good luck

8. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

Thanks Bruce_rob my first replier as stem83 is my brother! :hehe: Thanks for the wish of good luck and I hope you and others will follow my thread! thanks again!

9. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Nice design. I hope this all turns out great, and that this is only the start of a good modding "career" :D

I can associate with you because this is also how I started. :) I didn't have a mouse sander though...

10. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

Thanks dude! much appreciated!.. That's the joys of having parents shed's to raid for power tools :rock: lol.. i Hope my project works out too! Thanks!:thumb:

11. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

Preject: C.O.G 24 August

So I have yet more progress for you! :thumb:
    So last night whilst it was a rainy day I decided to take the two nanoxia fans apart ready for painting!

I got my paint from my brother that works at Halfords..
    [​IMG]

And now..
    Here is my progress from last night..

I peeled off the nanoxia sticker..
    [​IMG]

I then removed the rubber gromit and uncliped the o clip and the red rubber ring
    [​IMG]
    Yum! Greasy!

Now they were removed i could pull the fan out..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then my friends masking tape and craft knife helped me mask up the fan shaft..
    [​IMG]

both fans were masked in minutes..
    [​IMG]

I then went to bed and prayed for the weather to be nice today!

Today came and the weather was okay, but not the best, a little breezy but I guess beggars can't be choosers!

So regardless I started to primer the fans.. Just a small dusting to make sure the paint stuck to them..
    [​IMG]

In the process of this I found how primer makes UV fans glow amazingly! :D
    [​IMG]

Whilst waiting 15 mins to ensure the primer was completely dry i clicked on the kettle... Everyone needs a tea break!..
    [​IMG]

HULK SMASH!

[​IMG]

The primer was dry on both sides to I started to crack on with the orange paint
    [​IMG]
    The first coat made it look very gold

Finally it had enough coats to start to look orange..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one taken inside with the flash just to show u how cool the paint really is...
    [​IMG]

I then had to put the fans back together..
    [​IMG]
    Red rubber ring

Then the o ring clip
    [​IMG]

I then replaced the black rubber grommet and replaced the green and black nanoxia stickers with a solution that fits the case..
    [​IMG]

I apologise for dodgy lighting on some of my photos! I do not own blue grass!

Well that's it for now.. but I will hopefully be back very soon with some more progress :thumb:
    It won't be tomorrow as I am back at my school for a day for some of my coursework! and maybe some results :thumb:

Many thanks, Scrappy

12. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Nice fan modding :)

13. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

Thanks.. My first time modding fans too :thumb:.. apart from a few minor blips.. (bugs attracted to the colour).. Then I am happy with the result!

Thanks again Scrappy :D

14. StonieX

StonieX What's a Dremel?

The colour of the fan looks great! I won´t write what I think, because otherwise there´s a qft again -.-. But simplified, I love it!!! ;)

15. rak500

rak500 Minimodder

Awesome looking fan mod! the paint looks amazing and the carbon cover is ACE!

16. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

Thanks! glad it's not just me that likes it :thumb:, apologies for the slow reply to your comment! thanks again StonieX!

Thanks rak500, I didnt realise but the paint is actually pearlescent :thumb:. I have to say i love the carbon fibre vinyl too! Thanks again! Sorry for the slow reply to your comment!

17. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

Due to another day of rain in the United kingdom i have been held up again with my mod :sigh:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So i did a test on the fans...
    [​IMG]

Will continue with my mod Monday as it is forecast for good weather!

18. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

Since when can the weather man predict the weather. Hope it perks up so we can get some pics

19. Scrappy

Scrappy Mod in progress!

Thanks, had a shock this morning we were going to the beach! :sigh: just what i needed, parents don't tell you nothing when your a kid! :hehe:

Bad news guys.. no progress this case has to be finished by september 14th and i have a lot of art work to do for school, if not I'm going to fail, i better get a move on on my art work so i can finish the case and show you guys!

20. DesertFox

DesertFox What's a Dremel?

Need to fix photos!