1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Counter-Strike: Global Offensive gets cross-platform multiplayer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Aug 2011.

1. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

If there's ever going to be real cross-platform, it's going to have to start somewhere. Honestly, I feel more relieved it's being done by a company with a great deal of experience in the FPS genre and one that listens to feedback from the consumers/player-base.

2. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I'm 100% behind that sentiment. Valve have one hell of a lot of kudos earned in my book. From the origins of CS to the evolution of Steam (much as I hated it on dial up) to the hardware survey that many of us complete they've done a good job so far. They do still appear to be in touch with their target audience so I still have some faith. Yes, they've branched out but those of us on a PC still see some rather nice benefits (L4D2 content anyone?)

Every silver lining has a cloud though so I just have to look at what's going to go pear shaped first (it's both in my nature and my job - cynic, application tester and support staff) and I see the controls being the first bone of contention. I can't see a console supporting a 5,600 DPI mouse fully - maybe 1,600 but more likely 800 DPI or so. I don't use mine at the full capacity (3,000 max, usually 2,400) but the console users are sill more likely to require sweeping gestures rather than the slight twitch we're used to on the PC. This is likely to be an issue without a rapid resolution. Firmware upgrade most likely required, Sony don't exactly have a great rep regarding those.

It's definitely a step in the right direction yet I still can't help but have more ominous feelings than hopeful ones. I hope that it will work out well, I expect it to go pear shaped. Let's just hope that I'm pleasantly disappointed.

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

The trailer, I thought it looked REALLY average. I wish they had at least got a new engine before re-releasing this game. The dust 2 screenshot looked like the just applied some low res BF3 textures over the old map and added more clutter (I realise the irony of a source player complaining about that). They couldn't make it look better on the same tech so it just looks more gritty.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2011/08/csg02.jpg

Having said all that, I love counter strike so I hope I'll get in the beta. Will reserve my final judgement until release day.

@Grimloon

As long as there's an option in game to jack the mouse sensitivity up I don't see the problem. Any gamer serious enough to notice a difference in DPI isn't going to be playing on PS3 anyway. You can make a PC that maxes out source games cheaper than buying a new PS3, so those 1% of players that pro it up in the game can easily move onto the better system (if DPI even ends up being a problem).

4. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Resolution and USB polling rate are totally unrelated your whole post makes no sense., that is to say, all those DPI calculations are done on the mouse and then sent over USB as a small little data stream at 800 hz IIRC, I would have trouble seeing how a PS3 Coudln't handle a high DPI mouse unless it's not USB spec compliant

also why would console players need a different mouse dpi? all the top twitch FPS players usually used low mouse sensitivity and big sweeping gestures, this was done away with most ADS games as when you aimed down sight the movements were much smaller so you could play with higher sensitivity. only difference I see would be sitting several feet away from the screen using and HDTV instead of a foot or two away using a monitor.

original CS was more about memorizing spray patterns anyways

5. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Please note - I never said that it couldn't, just most likely that it wouldn't. A subtle but somewhat important difference. If you want to run at 800 DPI with a mousemat the size of Alaska - good for you! Personally I'll stick with a reasonable sized one and high DPI.

I have some doubts about your claims that "top twitch players" use low DPI on a mouse - define low. Then again, I'm no expert so don't presume to know. I just find that for me less than 1,600 DPI is painful and 2,400+ is preferred.

Your comment about memorising spray patterns on CS is, unfortunately, far too true. Then again, I never did suss that one out so generally stuck with a couple of rounds to the head. Worked for me!

6. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

consoles arent better for racing games either tbh, from a input point of view. in most decent pc sims you can run several different controllers. so i got g25wheel, g25pedals with a load cell with a bodar cable which ups the resolution, and i plan to add a button box too :)

7. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

the only reason i am interested in this now is solely for cross-platform play. Only issue is... why would a console player buy this?

8. geoboy333

geoboy333 Sometimes I say something bright...

Yay! Finally get to show console gamers what they're missing :)

9. west

west What's a Dremel?

The next gen of consoles may as well just be PCs. They are smaller, cheaper (upgradable) and faster than any console. Consoles need to die already. Buy a controller for your computer if you want.
    Maybe they could sell computers with a dumbed down OS for all the people who play xbox but cant figure windows out.

10. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

funny that, my xbox is smaller than any pc ive had and strangely it was a hell of a lot cheaper than any pc ive ever had as-well and saying that consoles need to die is a bit naive really.
    there are people who couldnt really give a **** or know anything about pc's and just have a little netbook or cheap lappie or pre built pc just to go on the net with and then get there gaming fix from a console.
    there cheaper and less hassle for people who either havnt got the time or patience or even know-how and there also easier as-well, you just turn on and away you go.
    there are merits to both pc gaming and console and saying that one platform should die just because you happen to not like or want is just silly and childish.

11. west

west What's a Dremel?

Its not that i don't like consoles its just that a console IS a computer now. its not like an Atari or a Nintendo they have CPU and HDD they use computer hardware and have non of the advantages that computers do. Seems like a loss to me.
    Microsoft could write a decent OS for the next xbox that would allow you to run applications if you wanted to. They could also give it a decent case and allow you to update the video card and HDD (with a normal HDD or SSD) or what have you.
    Seems to me that consoles are a little bit of a rip-off in this respect. But in the end it's opinion i suppose.

12. chrismarkham1982

i can understand were your coming from for definate but consoles hit on a part of the market filled with millions upon millions of gamers who just want to turn on and play and in that respect -especially considering you can get a mint 2nd hand xbox with a few games for a ton- they are very desirable and not altogether that expensive.

the whole thing about about upgrading hardware in a console has been talked about no end of times and while i like the idea, it just wouldnt be sensible as then the developers would have to start making the games for different hardware scenario's which would probably drive prices up and probably end in a not quite so good experience.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2011
  13. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

To be honest, I quite like separating the two types of gamers. I can do without kids on a server.

Mind you, more kids are in xbox, so that saves me some pain.

14. chrismarkham1982

i wouldnt say that, its hit and miss, ive come up against my fair share of knobheads of both xbl and pc but then thats probably why i dont play cod anymore as the majority seem to convene on that.

15. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Time to destroy some console players. This will be fun to watch.

16. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

This is going to be epic :p OWNING my old PS3 friends! :D

17. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

I really don't know why some people are fixated on auto-aim on the consoles, as CS on PC has had auto-aim since 1.1

I hope Valve reward the regular, long-term players like me, (with a Steam ID of 300,000), a chance to play the beta of CS:GO

18. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I think you're confusing aim-assist with auto-aim.

For auto-aim think GTA.

19. matthewd65

matthewd65 What's a Dremel?

What Were They Thinking Pc Vs Console ........ Consolers Might Aswel Quit If Its Counterstrike...

20. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

lol, Oh my this should be good.

Tags: Add Tags