1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Counter-Strike: Global Offensive gets cross-platform multiplayer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Aug 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Before anyone goes nuts regarding PC vs. Console controller advantages, remember that this feature probably isn't for you.

It's there as a convenient additional feature so friends can play together without the usual platform hurdles.

It's also a damn shame that Microsoft doesn't want to play ball too. Would be even more awesome for Borderlands-style 4 player co-op games. :(

3. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

I'm happy, I will be sitting ready with the valve demo recorder, ready to play against console players and record the raging that follows :D

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I literally can't believe this

"Announced in an interview with Eurogamer, Valve founder Gabe Newell mentioned that the company has also considered trying to integrate Steamworks into the Xbox 360 version, but had struggled to convince Microsoft."

- WHAT! Why, is it not up to GFWL standards?

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

microsofts probably thinking what were all thinking.. pc gamer vs console in counterstrike =] ps3 users will be rode like a pig in supermonkeys backyard

xbox will be able to play against xbox though

6. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Solution: Turn off voice chat and make them type everything out, makes for more hilarity given the time it will take them.

7. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Cross platform in all games would be fantastic. I kn ow some go on about our beloved PCs having an advantage, but why dont they open the gates as an OPTION and see what happens? Im sure there are PLENTY of console gamers out there who'd LOVE to test themselves against the alleged 'elite' of FPS gaming!

8. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

LOL :D

9. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

ill play this game just to smash some console noobs.

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

*waits for "auto-aim permanently on for PS3 players" announcement*

11. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I suspect that there are a few out there who'd like to show that their controller skills match our keyboard and mouse skills. However, I strongly suspect that the tune would rather rapidly change when they're consistently mown down by headshots when they themselves can only get body shots owing to auto aim. Cue screamed accusations of "You must be hacking!" and rage quitting from the console jockeys.

I don't consider myself to be more "elite" than console gamers but I do find that my preferred method of input provides the chance of inherently greater accuracy and response. I salute Valve for trying to bridge the divide between console and PC but I can't help but see this as a less than brilliant idea!

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

highlighting what a lot of you seem to have missed from the article
    So yes KB&M is better than a Joypad (for this game type) but don't forget that PS3 users could be playing with a KB&M too.

13. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I hope this still plays like a PC Game. Cross platform came up in Shadowrun and it was weighted towards pads, and the result was unplayable, on the PC at least.

14. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

There is a vid out of this and it looks sooooo horrid that I can't bring myself to link it for you guys. xD

15. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

At least somebody else noticed it too. Do people not read an article after hearing cross-platform? And you try and call yourselves masterrace.

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I really hope the next gen consoles have m&k support as standard, more cross-platform multiplayer can only be a good thing.

17. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

If the next gen consoles had standard mouse and keyboard support I would be ecstatic. For example, they could release the next CnC game on PS4 and just required a M&K.

I DID see the M&K part of the article and immediately thought of all of the controller uses getting spanked and still crying about it! Or having a permanent aimbot applied to them at all times.

18. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Actually, yes, I did read the article and noticed keyboard and mouse as well as PS Move support will be included. I believe that most others probably did as well.

First, have you tried using one of the motion controllers on a shooting game? Not as easy as it looks, is it? Secondly supported != automatically used.

The average person has a marked tendency to stick with what is known rather than trying something new. Obviously, that doesn't apply to the people here but we're a minority, remember? As a result I expect that the majority of the console players will be using a controller and consequently be at a disadvantage with it. Valve will do what they can to try and balance the game to cries of outrage from both sides and it'll snowball from there.

I own both consoles and PCs, I use each for different games owing to what I feel are the benefits of each system. PC is preferred for FPS/RPG/RTS for input, likewise for consoles for driving games. I also meant what I said before - I see it as being a good move, just not necessarily immediately. I love the thought that I'll be able to be play on my PC with my brothers and nephews on their consoles. However, I can't help but see it as a somewhat less than brilliant idea to have this feature at launch owing to the teething troubles it is likely to cause which could have a negative impact on the image of the game as a whole. Rather than bridging the divide it is likely to widen it if not implemented properly.

TL: DR - just because the support is there doesn't mean it'll be used. Nice idea, not sure about the implementation.

19. Canon

Canon Reformed

I'm now convinced they have ruined counter strike. Someone, anyone....please kill Gabe. He's a tool and a moron and total discredit to all the staff at Valve.

20. Blanx3_Bytex

Blanx3_Bytex What's a Dremel?

Can you explain why he must die?

Tags: Add Tags