1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Android v Windows phone 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xye, 8 Sep 2011.

1. micropage7

micropage7 What's a Dremel?

android is pretty good since it developed pretty long so i prefer android than win7
    microsoft is big player on software but on win7 phone its still questionable.
    i dont say win7 phone is bad but they need a time to challenge from android to ios
    until now i still prefer android

2. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

So its not possible to brick a phone by rooting it?

What advantage does rooting give? does it just allow you to put a move simple version of android on there? or is it more like when you get a pre-made pc and you have to remove all the rubbish that comes pre installed on it?

Sorry just trying to get my head around phone tech as I really don't keep up, I only change my phone every few years.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

its always possible to brick the phone no matter what anyone says. But the possibility has decreased alot due to the one click applications available that you can use to do all the work for you.

the days of the 10-15 step process in the early days of andriod are long gone just make sure you download the correct application for your phone

Super one click is a app id recomend for most users, just make sure its been tested and confirms to work with your phone ( takes time for newer phone moddles to be supported )

iphone and windows 7 have a much easier rooting/ jailbreaking process and a much safer recovery area as its imposible to brick either phone due to itunes in one case and windows in the other both have fail safe recovery methods.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The advantage of rooting your Android is to be able to run pirated software.

Also, you don't have to wait for your service provider to release an Android update for your phone, you can get it yourself and install it. But if that update bricks your phone (which it will, if your phone isn't crazy popular to get proper attention on, or is old enough that no one cares about it, as they are better phones), then you are screwed., as you have a brick phone.

However, you are more open to malware and viruses.. but it's ok! Because you can install Norton Anti-Virus for Android phone: http://us.norton.com/mobile-security/, which any case you might need, as there are viruses and malware for Android going though e-mails.
    And if your phone breaks for anything (crack screen or wtv) while it's rooted, where you can't restore to default your phone because of it: well... it's out of warranty. So you need to buy a new one.

So as much exiting rooting your phone might seam, as you are too cheap to buy 1-5$ software, or/and your crave for the latest OS update as.. well if you are in such case, that means you don't like Android OS, and trying to get the latest update to make it better. I don't recommend it.

If you are in the U.K or U.S, you have Zune Pass service with Windows Phone 7. It's a pay per month service or per 3 month (I don't know if there is per year.. the US does have it). It's: 26.97 pounds for 3 month (plus tax), or 8.99pounds per month (plus tax). There might be something link to a service plan, or per year subscription which can make it cheaper per month... but you have to look into this.
    The Zune pass allows you to get unlimited music download, for your PC, Zune HD, XBox 360, and well your Windows Phone 7. And all music downloads are in super high quality.
    The Zune software is a million times better than iTunes, not only it's fast and responsive, but also it allows you to discover new music in the genre you like, or even discover a similar genre of music that you might like, and can propose to you music suggestions. You can see the artist bios and what artist they were influence by, and listen to their music. And there is more. So it really allows you to expend your music library,

Last edited: 10 Sep 2011
  5. Tokari

Tokari What's a Dremel?

Just to set the record straight, my phone has been rooted and has NO pirated software on it! The reason I rooted it was to use paid for backup software, such as Titanium.

I presume you must have had a bad experience and bricked your phone in the past? My experience is that if you follow the instructions precisely rarely is there a problem. As far as leaving yourself open to viruses, that's just so lalala that it is not worth saying anything about.

As far as the OP's original question, pick whichever one works for you :lol: I have loved both o/s and now tend to get a phone that has the functionaility I want of it, regardless of o/s.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

you could run pirated software without rooting. It's got nothing to do with why you'd root your phone. You do it to have full control. Simple as that.

I have a HTC Hero, and I can tell you, I wanted Android 2.2 on it for the JIT compiler so it would run faster. Something HTC never realesd for the Hero or the Legend. So to get what I want I had the freedom to do what I want to my hardware.

I've never come across a virus either. Not saying there aren't any. But I've never had one on my phone. I'm also a little confused as to what you must be doing to acquire one too.

To the OP, I'm with Tokari here. Pick the one you like the most that has the features you want.

I must say, the only people I know that bought Windows phone 7s returned them in a week and went back to ios, Android or blackberry siting reasons from the data problem it had when it first started, lack of features like cut and paste and generally not liking them compared to their previous phone. Especially true of blackberry users. I think those problems have been addressed now though haven't they? Although, if you like your previous experience, not much can change that for you... de gusitbus non disputandem est

7. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Seems like the best way i'm going to be able to find out which is better is too go and try them.

Unfortunately orange don't seem to sell them at least not online. whether they have them in store though.... I looked on CPW but theres none of either in their local store....

Not sure what other places may have them my way?

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Same. I installed Cyanogen

9. GoodBytes

Look, I am not saying Android is bad.. It's a great OS, and I equally recommend as Windows Phone 7. I think they are both great phones. I was just informing the original posters, the other side of things, and risks, of rooting your phone, to know what he is getting himself into.

Something I forgot to say: Windows Phone is 7 is great, but that is really assuming with the Mango update that is coming up soon. This is Microosft huge update on the phone, that will bring the phone in a competing level with the others.

I think that the phone OS will really define itself, and this is where it will gain market share, is when Windows Phone 8 will come out. (They are no details of it, and I am just assuming).

law99 likes this.
  10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yar. There is the risk of bricking it and it does happen. Although you will be in the unlucky few. One of the tech guys at work bricked his phone but claimed on house insurance.

A lot of people I work with will never leave blackberry... and I don't blame them for what they want to do. Some recently had to start using ios and none of them are happy with that, although there are a load of iPhone fanatics too.

11. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Another post to clarify - rooting an android phone has nothing to do with pirating software. Confusion with jailbreaking an iPhone, maybe?

Yes, you can brick your phone by attempting to root it. You won't brick it if you follow the guides, to the letter, but rooting is not hard work, generally.
    That said, I really wouldn't recommend rooting on day one if you are new to it. I did, but this was my second android phone, and had a feel for the process already.
    In the case of the Desire Z, it takes a few steps, but the how-to's out there are pretty comprehensive: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision
    CyanogenMod (One of the most popular, if not the most popular custom ROMs) is perfect for geeks like me. Combine it with the things rooting can bring to the table, like overclocking, backups, clock syncing, firewalls and more, and you end up with a very powerful phone.

However, as I said before, I believe the DZ has actually got an official update to the latest version of Android. HTC's Sense UI is generally hailed as the best of the bunch of the customised versions of android that manufacturers add to phones). You may well be happy just with it as it is, but you'd have the option for more if you wanted it. Have a look at HTC's site for the phone, it should help you get a better feel for it: http://www.htc.com/uk/product/desirez/overview.html

I can't speak such high praise for the rest of android in general. Plenty of phones rarely get updated (you should care about this) and are locked down, so you have no way of upgrading yourself. In the case of the Motorola Milestone 2, it took 6 months from the phone's release to get a bugfix. Not even an upgrade to the latest version, just a bugfix that failed to fix several frustrating bugs. You just need to pick carefully and be an informed buyer, and you should be fine :)

12. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

All I can say I hate my DroidX2 by MOTOROLA. I went through 6 of them already all having issues.

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I've never had a Motorola phone that has lasted more than a couple of weeks. I hope google are going to sort it out. Unfortunate but true.

On the subject of pirating; the only person I know who has pirated software on their android phone had not rooted his phone. He lost the phone though which is quite funny really. Shouldn't have pirated some software... lol

Last edited: 11 Sep 2011
  14. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

I admit I do Love my Blackberry... But really they have fallen pretty far behind at the moment and have nothing comparable to the phones I'm looking at here.

I know they have the Storm 2 and the Torch but really theyve not brought out anything new in a long time just refreshed older models and updated them.

Also from comments on here and other forums it seems the android experience is pretty hit or miss depending on what phone hardware you have. whereas with Windows your pretty much guaranteed a decent experience.

Also, Mango, sounds like its going to be a massive update which will bring WP7 into line with Android and iOS. Sure it may not be as customisable as Android but how long do we spend staring at the home screen?

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Can't argue with that. Although, if you are already someone who likes to tinker, Android becomes some what of an addiction with some of my friends.

MS, being late to market I think learnt from Android quite well with the minimum hardware spec sheet. Unfortunately, the freedom google have given hasn't paid off in some ways; particularly fragmented os versions and cheap hardware. You only have to listen to the latest bit-tech pod cast to get a feel for the problems involving cheap Android phones.

However, there is a funny little rule of thumb. The cost of a device seems to indicate the minimum levels of hardware. So, pick W7 phones prices and up and the playing field is very open.

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

If you are going to use Orange and WP7, I think question is really what do you want from your handset. The experience is the same on every WP7 handset. However, I started with the Samsung Omnia 7 which has fantastic screen quality but the sound is just ok. I also have a HTC 7 Trophy which is the opposite, ok screen but fantastic sound.

With the immemant release of "Mango" and a Nokia build, I'd wait for that release before picking a WP7 phone now.

As for Droid, been there and not as impressed as I was with WP7. Sorry but that's from my own personal experience.

17. GoodBytes

18. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Mango will be available to all WP7 users though to update too. Unless companies release newer models to coincide and push prices down on existing models..... Only company I know of that are doing that are HTC with the Titan and Radar I think?

DO phone prices drop when new ones come out? Because as i said in the original post (i think) I would really like a physical keyboard.

I don't count them out just yet. They are still seen by many as a business phone even though they seem to sell well to alot of younger folk as well. They need to up their game though if they are to stay in the market at all.

I do get the feeling that maybe android has shot itself in the foot by being so open that it can be put on anything leaving so phones with poor to none existent support. In many ways Microsoft has taken its lead from Apples computer line and limited the hardware it can be used with.

19. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

I'm running a cheap HTC Wildfire, although it's not fast it's suprising how other people (non techie) think it is. I'll probably get the HTC Sensation later this month as there are a couple of things that are a pain on the Wildfire (Flash & BBC iPlayer to name two).

I've not personally used a W7 phone, but a friend had a loan phone while his Desire was being repaired and said it was quite good (although he couldn't wait to get his Desire back).

As for which OS to go for that's entirely your choice, for me I can only comment on Android as the previous smartphone I had was running WinMo 6.5 so not really comparable.

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

The Nokia thing should be interesting. Someone I know does graphic design for them and says they are in trouble.