1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD Prices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemoth, 21 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

10% and the rest! there 50% buddy, also i have a empty warehouse with f all coming in. Way more than a industry ploy to rip people off. Althou just got feed back from a reseller that another distie prices have shot up loads.. 3tb constellation drives for the price of a holiday for 2 lol

2. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Its way less than slight delay, reality is that 98% of HDD is sold to other businesses etc that will be buying to make thier products to sell.. they have to continue or they have no income. Obviously us enthusiasts buy at the same rates etc.. so obviously scan price rises with the demand.

4 weeks until floods clear..then need to get production going again and get products shipped going to be another month or 2... I do think that q2 will see bargains galore as they flood the market.. and compete for business... famine and feast

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

60% of WDC hard drives are made in Thailand. The remaining 40% are made elsewhere. You can see it even in the prediction numbers - Thailand WDC factories are closed for 2 months minimum, maybe even more, and that means Q4 production is dropping from 58 to 22-26 million = they will run at 37-45% of their original production volume - and you can guess where the remaining missing 55-63% comes from (Thailand). Secondly, Seagate have logistic problems with their Thailand factory due flooding. Third, the largest producer of hard drive motors is flooded as well. Fourth, Toshiba is hit as well.

4. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

5. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Get your documents on the cloud :)

6. Risky

Risky Modder

Caviar Black prices are all over the place at the moment. Huge variation even within the major outlets.

7. rob the bank

The Lacie banner add?

I bet the marketing guy got a bonus for that.
    Q, We have no drives what shall we do
    A, I know lets sell virtual ones
    :clap:

8. Another_level

Another_level What's a Dremel?

Thanks Rob, I was already aware of the article. but I guess Nidec would be the company to watch as their products can be found in 75% of HDD units.

AFAIK WD has two main plants in Thailand. One of them completedly inundated with water but the second plant under threat.

9. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Sorry i'm late to the party here. Does anyone know if SSD drives were affected?

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Nope. But the higher demand for SSD can increase their price as well.

11. rob the bank

They will be. Not as quick but soon enough.

12. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I'm torn now, was going to purchase an SSD and HDD this week.

I won't be buying a HDD at those prices but unsure whether i should get an SSD now or wait till after this whole shebang.

13. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I'm hoping it will mean SSD manufacturing increases and prices drop. My next drive (before the end of this year) is due to be a decent SSD for my new build:)

14. Kinglemur

Kinglemur What's a Dremel?

I was planning on buying a new HDD and an external HDD about now, the HDD might get pretty desperate too so I'm gutted. Just managed to pick up an ex display 1tb external drive on Ebuyer for £49.50 but if I have to buy an internal one at these prices I'll be very upset.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Was looking to get 4*2TB soon for my file server. Looks like the 2*1TB & 2*1.5TB will have to last a little longer.

16. Risky

Risky Modder

If you need a drive do look around. I'm seing some models where Amazon is up10% and Ebuyer up 100% so there may still be affordable ones in stock in the short term.

17. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Had the accoutn manager fom toshiba ssd today, said they are making movements to increase stocks etc ready for a predicted increase in demand. May see a small increase in price due to demand though.. but we talking a few percent. Just commen market place fluctuations in price on supply and demand. where as HDD is a violent increase to a high demand product going to near on zero supply..

I didnt see the Lacie add though? anyone got a link?

18. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

I had a reseller call me who business based on amazon, had no idea what was going on and called up surprised someone bought all his stock in one go lol. he was gutted when i told him cos he coulda made alot more. but unfortunatley there is very small amount of people who have HDD in stock listed online who do not know whats going on. He just happens to have them as he builds DVR and Modified PS£ at this time of year.. in jaunary he sells gardening stuff lol

19. Another_level

Another_level What's a Dremel?

Not really. Once the flood damage has been fully assessed and accounted for, HDD production should resume.

I also think it's awful that retailers are trying to profit from the disaster.

20. Risky

Risky Modder

This was sold by Amazon.co.uk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.