1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 BOOTMGR

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SJS, 1 Nov 2011.

1. SJS

SJS What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

I have a net-book which was turned off 'unexpectedly'. This corrupted windows, so using the BIOS option to restore the net-book to its original state I restored windows.

Problem is, when starting the laptop I get this error...

"BOOTMGR is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

Restarting leads only to the same error. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? The net-book doesn't have a optical drive so I can't just pop a windows CD in and run start-up repair

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

P.S The net-book is a Samsung N210 Plus.

P.P.S Was turned off unexpectedly as some idiot spilt coffee over it.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2011
  2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Is that error from when you load the recovery image or after you've managed to reinstall Windows?

3. SJS

SJS What's a Dremel?

This was after I managed to reinstall windows.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

So you re-installed Windows, and at first boot it did that (Windows failed to boot)
    If so, sound like a faulty HDD or SSD.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i've seen it when you install win 7 with bios mode, when originally it was installed with uefi mode.

6. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

Coffee is never good for computers.

If you have an external CD drive, try putting the recovery disk in that and booting from USB in the boot menu. I've never had a problem with an external CD drive on my Netbook (Original Acer Aspire One), and I used it to install XP on it. Short of that, you could make up a bootable flash drive with the recovery disk on it, and boot from that. But the last couple of times I have come across this error I just did a data recovery and installed a fresh copy of the OS on the machine.

Hope this helps
    enterobsidian

7. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

Find a Windows 7 ISO, install it to a flash drive (there are guides online), then boot from it and go through the system repair process. It will likely pick up the issue with the boot manager and offer to set it up for you, then you should be good to go. If it doesn't automatically figure out the problem, the bootable Win7 USB drive has a command prompt under the repair section, from which you can run a few commands to manually rewrite all the boot stuff. Here's a link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/