1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Steve Jobs has died

Discussion in 'General' started by andrew8200m, 6 Oct 2011.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

yesterday morning i wasn't overly surprised at the passing of truly a great man, this summer's events of a huge apple based release of Lion and thunderbolt not to mention 'cloud' seemed to be a big event.

Steve finally achieved what i seem to believe was his goal, a small portable device that gives you full communications and access to your data anywhere. The iphone was the first device to nearly complete this but only with the addition of the cloud has it completed the project.

The summer had the feeling that he was putting his affairs in order, one last big push of software and hardware releases, not long followed by his stepping down as CEO of apple. Then days ago the release of the new iphone revision arrived. When that news hit i had a bad feeling something major was going to occur due to the usual apple release time line being so slow.

No surprise, but still deeply sadden.

I hate autobiographies, but i sincerely hope this legend has one as it would be the first and i suspect only biography i would purchase and read. I would also like to think all profits of such a book would go to cancer research, i know steve axed all philanthropy and charity processes at apple upon his return, but it would be a huge parting gift.

At this point i would like to say i don't own a single apple product but the ethos of a system of hardware and software which works beautifully and gives greater connectivity can only be admired and if it weren't for steves vision, android potentially would have never come about and we would still be sucking on the corporate dick of microsoft mobile, i still don't understand MS mobile as there is no free dev ability that i am aware of, not in the realms of apple or android.

Apple software has its drawbacks yes, itunes isn't the best but as a system of conformity of buy app or mp3 from said itune store and enjoy with no flexibility it does work, and if you stay within the closed system of OSX and itunes functionality exists and is livable.

I grew tiered of microsoft on my personal machines, and switched to ubuntu, and as a nix user and as a Designer the world is actually more colourful for me, with the openness of community and open-source app's that take on the likes of photoshop, illustrator and autoCAD. Don't get me wrong i still require a windows box for solidworks, but there is never a nix vm too far away. I have begun to embrace and dev for arduino, and maybe one day tackle a java app for my androids.

I only hope i could achieve 1% of what steve achieved in his life time, mine is still early but when steve was my age he was 5 years in to developing the apple II, so maybe i am a little behind.

In the last 4 months i have transitioned from full-time employment to self-employment as a freelancer, and finally found the time to learn and do things which were always 'what if's'. learning HTML to code my own website from the ground up, has been a big achievement, its nothing fancy but hey at least i've not coped out and gone CMS and faked all the hard work, i've learn't everything that has been required, and only wish to continue doing so.

Steve Jobs and visionary and a role-model..

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

3. Deders

Deders Modder

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Here's a beautifully shot and quite moving tribute to Steve and some of the Apple products that he helped design from Justine Ezarik AKA iJustine:

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I can believe there are horrendously inappropriate jokes being made elsewhere, but I'm pleased to see that everything in here - even the images and videos - have all been respectful and in good taste. Bit-tech comes through when it matters.

The 'no replacements found' picture made me sad because it's almost certainly true :(

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

May I recommend the book Apple Design (1997), which gives a beautiful account of all the magic that happened backstage. We never got to see 90% of what those guys dreamt up, until Jobs decided that sketches, mock-ups and prototypes should be preserved to keep the company in touch with its own heritage. The book was released before the iMac; the last few pages give a tantalising view of the radical departure from square beige, white and anthracite boxes to the colourful jelly lozenge phase that followed.

A German book with the same title is in the works, following Apple to 2011.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

How did you come by that book Nexxo considering its £124 price tag, i really want a look considering my profession is Product/industrial Design. I've come across a few interesting books and I've found Ives to be a Braun rip off merchant, but i still admire the clean design of their hardware.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I ordered it years ago, when it was still in print and about £60,--.

They occasionally pop up in second hand book stores. Try Hay-on-Wye. Waterstones also used to sell it.

9. Katty123

Katty123 What's a Dremel?

RIP

You did so much for this world...