1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista turns itself off (not overheating)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by adamc, 2 Nov 2011.

1. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

I have a dual-boot PC with vista 64-bit and XP. The problems only occur in Vista, which lead me to believe it's not a hardware issue. Only started last day or so.

Running off vista, the PC will die before everything has even loaded up after turn-on. No shut-down or log-off, just turns itself off to black screen.

Can load into Safe Mode and seems to be more stable (doesn't crash on it's own accord). Ran MalwareBytes successfully and removed a couple of bits.

However both ComboFix and SuperAntiSpyware crash vista during a scan, even in safe mode.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Hmmm, sounds like something malicious. Maybe try reinstalling Vista? Or better still, do yourself a favour and either upgrade to Windows 7 now, or wait for Windows 8.

3. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

i'm actually leaning more towards a hardware issue now as the problem has started to occur in XP as well - but only so far when I run memtest or Ad-Aware.

Potentially a RAM or a PSU issue? Have swapped out both sticks of RAM and still doing it so unless they're both faulty it could be the PSU...