Windows Vista turns itself off (not overheating)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by adamc, 2 Nov 2011.

1. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

I have a dual-boot PC with vista 64-bit and XP. The problems only occur in Vista, which lead me to believe it's not a hardware issue. Only started last day or so.

Running off vista, the PC will die before everything has even loaded up after turn-on. No shut-down or log-off, just turns itself off to black screen.

Can load into Safe Mode and seems to be more stable (doesn't crash on it's own accord). Ran MalwareBytes successfully and removed a couple of bits.

However both ComboFix and SuperAntiSpyware crash vista during a scan, even in safe mode.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Hmmm, sounds like something malicious. Maybe try reinstalling Vista? Or better still, do yourself a favour and either upgrade to Windows 7 now, or wait for Windows 8.

3. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

i'm actually leaning more towards a hardware issue now as the problem has started to occur in XP as well - but only so far when I run memtest or Ad-Aware.

Potentially a RAM or a PSU issue? Have swapped out both sticks of RAM and still doing it so unless they're both faulty it could be the PSU...