1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone PS06 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Oct 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

A case review from Harry, good start to the day. :D
    I love the syling of this case, it's a shame about the weak air performance.

However.. I wonder how it is for a water setup? That's something I'd love to see in bit-tech case reviews, but I understand that it would be incredibly time consuming and difficult to provide watercooling suitability/performance testing for every case review.
    Some at-a-glance information in that regard, or even more photos from different angles would be helpful that way.
    It has always struck me as odd in a way that cases are tested and performance-rated only with their supplied fan configuration; but I can understand why this is the case too.
    (Pun not intended).

So, in saying that: What's the case like from the perspective of finding places to mount internal rads? Are the drive cages removable? Is the floor of the case suited to a 120.2 radiator with some modding, or are there multiple layers of metal that would make that awkward?

I've been looking for an attractive replacement for my Stacker 830 for quite a while now, but I'm picky when it comes to styling and this one suits my taste; but I also like to keep my radiators mounted inside the case (120.3 and 120.2, just to be awkward!) so finding the right chassis is tough!

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I agree with Zurechial, In the old BT days a 'wc' section in the review was mandatory. But i think in 2011 Water-cooling is not interesting anymore since most CPU's are doing great on air-cooling.

Since BT has a large modding community it should at least use a mockup radioator (2x120 or 2x140) to see if it fits, I think a lot of modders want to know.

4. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

For me, the space behind the motherboard tray would be absolutely crucial.

There are only a few things which disappoint me about my armor suit and one of them is the space behind the motherboard tray.

If you have braided PSU cables and god forbid a captive PSU (like me) then I would like at least an inch.

If this means the case is bigger and a bit more expensive then so be it.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Did SilverStone really need to give it such a beating with the ugly stick?

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The y must have run out of fairy design dust to s sprinkle this one.

7. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

its cheap and not aesthetically appealing enough for shelf let alone the price

8. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

So many issues in this one paragraph! Firstly; exhaust INTAKE? Make your mind up, it either exhausts or it intakes it can't be doing both.

As to the second part of the quote, why is a roof fan blowing air down? Maybe there was a manufacturing mistake. I'm frankly amazed that you'd even consider fitting a HSF to blow down onto the graphics card. I should imagine orienting the HSF upwards and fixing the roof mounted fan to also exhaust air out of the case would improve results.

9. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Woah, Silverstone, what are you doing?

Don't go the way of Antec, please.

10. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

First up thanks for the spot; we do our best, but some times type-o-s slip through.

Secondly, there's no mistake - the roof fan is definitely an intake fan; it's that way on SilverStone's website, and was this way when we removed the case from the box. I made the point about re-orientating the cooler to counter inevitable "what-ifs" from readers. Obviously it's a stupid setup!

Regarding re-orientating case fans - that's not representative of the product; the air penetrator is only of use as an intake due to its excellent directed airflow properties; it wouldn't make sense to use it as an exhaust.

Answering some earlier questions as well; the case will only support 120.1 radiators, in either the rear or floor mounts; the 180mm roof mount is only accessed from the outside of the case, so no room for an interior mount or tubing; its an air-cooling case. if you guys want it, I can start making sure to talk about a case's radiator compatibility in future.

11. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

It would make sense to me. Even if it's only mentioned what, if any, size rads would fit. If Zurechial hadn't asked, some por sap may have gone out and bought the case with a "Yeah, bad air cooling, but I'll stick a couple of rads in it." kind of approach.

As most people now shop on-line for tech parts, there isn't an opportunity to have a look inside a case for ourselves in a store. You guys have the kit on hand, so it would make sense just to mention if a case could be used for a fluid cooling system or not imo.

12. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

looks like CoolerMaster Haf/Cm Storm Trooper stuff... and others with this Batman/Terminator Salvation sci-fi type look.. Not a bad job of it imo. I like it when comparing side by side picts I have, it's target market. But if you want to do a sci-fi type look make sure some more sci- goes in to it. Understand everyone here wants to push more ... or they learn to push the systems more with the help of good folks here. I'm one of those aforementioned people wanting to push .. and learning how. SilverStone is on my list of quality products. I've been considering the cases mention above for a Theme project, just a concept atm . SilverStones PS06 fits nicely ... hits the target market... me :)

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Cheers for the answers, Baz. :) I'll have to keep looking for a replacement for my 830..

I'd definitely appreciate comments on radiator suitability in case reviews, as the stock-air-cooling config is something that doesn't really factor into a purchasing decision for me all that much; whereas it can be difficult to get reliable information on rad mounts in new cases.
    If there's the potential for modding to make room for radiators at a glance, that'd help too!

14. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Weird set-up!

Sorry to be a pedant. :)

15. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Would love too see some picts of the top of case at a few different angles! Cover on and off. I have to say I keep coming back to look at this one. :)

16. randis1981

randis1981 What's a Dremel?

please revision COOLER MASTER Elite 430

Tags: Add Tags