1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Nov 2011.

1. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

So, perhaps this is the game that finaly pushes me to shelve Shogun TW2, for a little while anyway.

2. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Clive that was a great review and kept me smiling and even made me laugh when I read: "Lydia seemed unable to die unless we accidentally hit her while she’s low on health, something that only happened once, and we reloaded anyway, so she’s none the wiser."

Skyrim is already on my list of games to play and now you are on my list of writers to read more of.

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

That's fair enough, cheers for the response. :)

I'll probably still hold off on Skyrim for a while anyway. Between work, a PhD and Battlefield 3 I think I have enough on my plate for now..

4. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Honestly, I was really impressed with the graphics. The low-poly rocks are a slight lowpoint, but it already looks ace in non-modded form. The way the snowy wind howls over bluffs, the oppressive murk of night, the way spires and mountains lose themselves in mist and cloud... Wish I wasn't at work right now!

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I can't comment on the gameplay but I am sick of console ports. The textures and animation look ugly.

Graphics arent everything but when I buy a 3d FPS as hyped as skyrim I want groundbreaking graphics as well. Not some fecking console port with low res textures and the same dated character animation we saw in the days of Oblivion.

I have a lot of respect for DICE because they put so much effort into making games first and foremost for the PC. The situation we have had since so-called nextgen consoles infested the gaming world is insane. Game developers making games for the console then upscaling to the PC. PC games have suffered enormously as a result. I wouldn't pay for skyrim anymore than I'd pay for RAGE. I will be buying BF3 though.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2011
    yassarikhan786 likes this.
  6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The textures and especially the animation have looked relatively ugly in Elder Scrolls games from long before they were launched on consoles - that's more a reflection of the engine and the quantity of individual content in the game.

Question to everyone: buy this now for the 360, or wait until mid December when I can afford the i2500K necessary for completing my new build?

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  7. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

this game was made for consoles, hence the 6gb file size, bethesada is sick of piracy, hence the massive advertising budget for the xbox version, a dozen times yesterday i saw the live action trailer for the xbox, and a couple too for the ps3, is the sdk being released so we can mod it ?, I bloody hope so......

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I've been playing this all day and am quite impressed. I really didn't like oblivion, but this resolved most of the issues I had with it. Things like wax face NPC's etc. The melee combat still isn't great but speccing as a mage is very fun with the dual wielding of spells. I also haven't encountered a single bug or crash in over 7 hours of play which is a first for a bethesda title. The graphics are as good as DX9 gets, which I know for some of you is not good enough, but I don't think texture packs will really improve that much. It has a quite an immersive atmosphere once you consider the experience overall instead of nitpicking about a low textured rock you came across off the beaten path.

9. Jedibeeftrix

Jedibeeftrix What's a Dremel?

"I've been playing this all day and am quite impressed. I really didn't like oblivion, but this resolved most of the issues I had with it."

I didn't either, so that is great news. thank you.

10. Hazda

Hazda What's a Dremel?

Aaaaaaahhh, need to wait for a new graphics card for this game or i'll ruin it :(

11. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

ill purchase this next week at some point. Looks good, and its something different from my normal fps/rts games.

My first dive into elder scrolls.

12. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

What an ugly looking game.

Suppose it doesn't matter because everywhere I look it seems this game is a bit of a gem. Shame that it isn't built on a pretty engine.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

some shots I took.. in case anyone thinks it looks like ass, the beginning was perfect.. felt like I was in a horse drawn carriage waiting to get fleeced!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I think it looks amazing. Are my standards really that low these days. :(

15. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

he has big guns

16. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I'm not a big fan of how it looks but the game play is what matters :).

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm going to wait until the modding community has tweaked it sufficiently before I grab it. It will cost less then too. Win, win!

18. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

You are :). I've been playing it, and every now and then, it happens.

The game is a bit too over-animated for my liking.

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

20. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Thank god my birthday isn't too far away.

:rock:

Tags: Add Tags