1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 woes

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Bertiee, 18 Nov 2011.

1. Bertiee

Bertiee What's a Dremel?

Evening all,

I'm having some trouble and can't seem to find anything useful online. Sorry the explanation is a bit long winded, but I'm quite stuck.

Been having a few problems recently with blue screening on Windows 7 load. Startup repair didn't find anything, and despite this the system would run fine after restarting.

I come to go on it today and can't seem to get rid of the blue screening - it even happens when trying to get into startup repair (just after it's done loading files). I have an XP partition on the same drive and that blue screened too (just the once), but was fine after going into safe mode and running a chkdsk. From in there I was also able to see my other drive without a problem.

At this stage I wondered if it was a drive problem, so I unplugged them all and simply tried running the Windows 7 installation disk - this however had it's own problem, as it also froze after doing the loading files bit (where it says 'starting windows'). Tried this also with each of the other drives in as well (just in case it requires an HDD to work) but still nothing.

To add to things I've also had a problem just after POST, where the system would hang saying 'initializing USB controllers'. I reset the CMOS, however that didn't seem to help - the only thing that worked was leaving the pc off for a few minutes. Thankfully that problem looks to have gone away, but thought I'd mention it just in case it helps anyone with ideas!

Any help most appreciated!

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

When the BSOD happens, can you please us what error you get?

Here are things you can try:
    -> Remove ALL Use devices, except keyboard and mouse... yes even your scanner, printer, web cam. See if it helps.
    -> Uninstall ALL your drivers, restart your system when needed
    -> Re-install all your drivers back, from the latest version
    -> Also, scan your RAM for error. You can use Windows 7 memory diagnostic, or also or alternatively, MemTest86 (free) : http://www.memtest86.com/

What are your results?

3. Bertiee

Bertiee What's a Dremel?

Hello,

Forgot to reply last night as I sorted it out about half an hour before you posted your suggestion! Looks like you were right with your last suggestion - it was a bad stick of RAM causing the problem. Don't quite understand why it still allowed the system to POST and get into XP, as last time it happens the pc wouldn't start at all so I didn't think of it this time!

Anyone know here you can buy non-rubbish DDR2 these days (apart from ebay)?

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You can get 2x1Gb sets of Corsair PC2-6400 from Kikatek still for about £21 clicky, depends how much you want.

You can pick up single sticks of 2gb for about that price too if you look around. Get to 50 posts (or is it 75?) and you can check out the Marketplace on here too to see if anyone has any going.

5. Bertiee

Bertiee What's a Dremel?

Didn't realise there was a market place here! Will just have to keep talking...

Thanks for the suggestion :)

6. Bertiee

Bertiee What's a Dremel?

Is it ok to mix and match different memory types? I mean assuming they are the same speed and timings, just different brands?

7. adidan

Preferably I'd keep to the same but so long as they're the same voltage it should be ok though.

You can mix speed no problem, it'll just clock all the ram down to the lowest speed you have.

What RAM do you currently have?

8. Bertiee

Bertiee What's a Dremel?

2GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066Mhz (5-5-5-15), which unfortunately I can only find on ebay. Whilst most ebay stuff is fine, I'm never sure about pc stuff as you can't guarantee someone hasn't spent the last 3 years overclocking the hell out of it!

9. adidan

I've bought alot of PC stuff on ebay, not had a problem yet.