1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Affordable Blu-ray drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geoboy333, 11 Dec 2011.

1. geoboy333

geoboy333 Not always completely useless

Hi Guys

I've recently aquired quite a few blu rays as gifts and now need a method of playback. I use my PC as my main entertainment hub so don't want a player. Could any of you fine people direct me to the best affordable internal (or external) BD drive.

Budget is probably max £60 as chrimbo is round the corner.

Thanks

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

That budget will not cover even the software needed to play your BR movies :eyebrow:, unless you can find some drive with a bundled player.

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

4. faugusztin

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

geoboy333 likes this.
  6. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

calling your bluff on that. I'm using an older version without any issues. been watching every new release from blockbuster for the past 2 months.

7. faugusztin

Ehm ?
    http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html

So pretty much every year they expect you to cash out $80 for upgrade. Yes, it says "may not be", but that is wording bad enough, don't you think ?

8. geoboy333

I have PWDVD no worries

9. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Arcsoft Total media 5 and that Samsung drive that Trashcan listed seems to work flawlessly for me.

10. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Again, your point is irrelevant if they are not enforcing it

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Only bluray player I know with unlimited support is a PS3.

12. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

13. TraumaticHug

TraumaticHug What's a Dremel?

I recently bought the Samsung SH-B123L.. costs £44 from BT with £3 delivery .

Here for what Faugusztin was referring to.
    The copy of PowerDVD 9 that came with it works fine, but I only have one Blu-ray so far and that was made pre-June 2011 :rolleyes:

If you really want to, you can upgrade to PowerDVD 11 for half-price just now (=£26.99).

EDIT: Remembered from looking around before buying myself a drive:
    The compatibilty refers not to playing back blu-rays made after the mentioned date - you will always be able to watch blu-rays - but instead that you may not be able to use all of the new features that have came out since PowerDVD 9 was manufactured.. As in you need PowerDVD 10 to use 3D.

14. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Bought a Plextor PX-B120U for my netbook.

£66 and comes with a reduced functionality copy of PowerDVD 9 in the box. Only supports stereo audio but does the job and 1080p playbook is pretty smooth. I've installed the app onto my netbook and gaming rig without problems.

It's USB 2.0 powered and only requires one socket.

Only downside is that it's a reader only - it can't write to any type of CD/DVD/Blu-Ray.

15. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

That and its too big to be portable.

16. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I got power DVD 9 with my Samsung and have been playing the latest Blu Rays with no problems so far.

Make sure you patch the software and upgrade the drive firmware (both easy to do).

Power DVD have regular upgrade offers to power DVD 11. As TraumaticHug pointed out there is an offer right now for under £30 which is not bad.

Power DVD seems to be universally loathed on some forums but I can honestly say it has never given me a problem.

I suspect that only blu ray releases that use new features (such as new versions of Blu Ray 3D) will be affected in the future.

In any case I have:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/samsung-sh-b123l-rsbp-12x-bd-rom-and-dvdrw-combo-player-retail-box

as thetrashcanman says this is very good. Good for me and well reviewed.

The Samsung has power DVD9, some other drives only have 8.

In addition the Samsung comes with an OEM version of Powerdvd 9 that has multi channel support enabled. Many OEM versions of Blu Ray software do not support multi channel audio.

As far as free software to play Blu Ray goes, I would be dubious about this. The Blu Ray codec must be licenced which means free software is probably illegal. I would not trust it not to carry malware (probably it is fine and this is paranoia on my part, but there you go).

In addition, if there is one thing to bring instability to your machine it is dodgy codecs.

Even worse case, seeing as good quality stand alone Blu Ray players are still quite expensive, the cost of the Samsung and a software update is still pretty fair imo.

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I used to play my Blu-rays through PowerDVD but got so fed up I ended up using MakeMKV, which is excellent by the way! Simply RIP films to a single file completely none compressed and use that to playback at my pleasure with VLC Media Player.

A special mention to Media Player Classic and CoreAVC which works wonders on my Dell D630, allows me to playback 1080P video including the ultimate laptop killing Avatar (uncompressed!). Although it does need to be connected to the mains for such a monstrous task! :D

18. geoboy333

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That drive does come bundled with Power DVD!

It's a good drive though.

20. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Hey Blogins, is MakeMKV always free if you use the beta?

Thanks dude :thumb: