1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hard-drive prices to go up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by donok, 9 Dec 2011.

1. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

Hey guys,

Got some insider info that hard drives will go up in price further then previously. I was told that surplus stock had been depleted and prices will go up again. A direct quote 'prices will treble'

Prices are said to increase next week. This is info from large blue chip oem assembler.

The conversation was in context of the manufacter making a large (several million units) order before prices go up next week.

PocketDemon likes this.
  2. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Oh, FFS.

On one hand they announce 4TB drives are on sale & on another even the small ones are getting vastly more expensive.

Just could use a couple of spare 2TB(+) ones - have a few 1 & 1.5TBs, but i guess that'll have to wait for half of ever.

3. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

3TB drives are still not horrendous, maybe where they were 6 months ago. I got mine for about £130 each, they are now looking at about £155. If you are getting less than a 3TB drive though, prices are at least double what they were in October and havent really dropped back down at all.

My guess is that not as many OEM's were using the 3TB drives, most will have 1TB or less by default, so its those drives that are really running low on supply, and at the end of the day the cost to make 1 1TB drive isnt going to be that much less than a 3TB drive.

4. Tongue-of-Fire

Tongue-of-Fire What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info. I had hoped that prices were already starting to lower given that 2TB just dropped below £100. Clearly not. I really could do with another drive though on the plus side it has encouraged me to trim the excess baggage on my current HDD... Bye bye steam games I don't play much of :D. Are the Christmas sales going to have an impact on pricing do you reckon?

5. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

...and suddenly my thread of a few days ago looks somewhat less crazy ;)

6. donok

Sorry guys I have no more info on Xmas deals etc. I thought myself that prices were going to fall but after hearing a huge oem are working flat out to order before next week sometime. It doesn't sound promising. Any after a quick buck might be able to sell off on eBay.

7. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

just because there price is about to go up again it still doesn't make traditional hard drive's dead, it makes SSD's look far more tempting with the prices that the normal hard drives will be at, but they will come down eventually, and then there really is no comparison in terms of mass storage, I mean we had 3Tb drives for £120, (£150 now) can an SSD get anywhere near that in terms of storage capacity for the size? I don't think so

8. jaydeee

jaydeee What's a Dremel?

with the the flooding in Thailand sure HDD price will be rise for next year...

9. Lukefreeman

Lukefreeman What's a Dremel?

Beat idea is to just buy externals and rip 'em at the mo.

I bought 2 x 2tb seagate go flex externals for £75 each at best buy (closing sale ) two week ago. Pulled them apart to find barracuda LP's! Perfect for a media setup! Sold enclosures for £20 each at work! (worst case scenario, one goes and I have to borrow the enclosure of my mate to manufacturer RMA it!)

10. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

THIS JUST IN: The sun to rise tomorrow.

11. getDownShep

getDownShep What's a Dremel?

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Lets just hope non of my drives decide to bail out on me, because this LGA2011 build has pretty much cleaned me out!

13. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

join the club matey ;D although then again I am now looking at a chiller :p

14. donok

Don't shoot the messenger.

15. donok

Intel share price fell as they reduced there revenue target for this quarter. Try stated the main reason was due to hard drive shortages and oem's not demanding there stock due to it

16. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

hopefully more people will consider buying SSD instead and we should start seeing those prices coming down.

17. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Until SSD have big storage for lower prices, i'll never get one. Certainly couldn't replace the
    8+ TB I have at the moment.
    Even their performance increase doesn't tempt me. A couple of seconds here and there. Not worth the massive price premium.

Annoying that I do want more storage right now though. Grrr, damn floods.

18. donok

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

20. GrameSmith

GrameSmith What's a Dremel?

with the passage of time price of every thing is going on, but they are also improved.