1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Staff changes at Bit-tech and Bit-gamer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 6 Jan 2012.

1. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede What's a Dremel?

I guess this is the end of bit-tech, especially when you get an editor who's been in charge of Micro Mart taking over the reins. No offence, but this is a very different publication, or at least was before the current (and outgoing) editor took over and dumbed down the content. I guess bit-tech will be the next Computer Active now then... So let's say farewell to yet another once great website who decided to cater to the mass market just so its owners could make more money out of it, but I have a feeling that they don't understand what they have and instead its readership will go elsewhere in the not to distant future.

2. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The mods and staff have been discussing this for a little while behind the scenes, and it's been said already but I'll reiterate:

Thanks to all the staff, those moving on or not, you've made the place special, and the absolute best of luck in future. Keep us posted on your future endeavours. :thumb:

To Simon: As I'm sure you can appreciate you have some big shoes to fill in James' place, and perhaps a bitter community to convince, but the best of luck to you as well.

4. Skippylee

Skippylee Now then!

boo, just utter boooooo!!

5. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

Well, that's kinda sad.

Sincere best wishes of success, health and happiness to all of you who are moving on. Thank you for your hard work!

I can only hope that the site will remain as good as it is now.

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Fear not, gentle forumites. Change is scary, but there is plenty of positive prospects from this move.

First up, I'm still here, and will continue to be a regular contributor for both bit-tech and Custom PC. Joe will also be sticking around (although we'll both be doing so in a freelance capacity).

We'll be retaining our labs, as well as our test kit and samples. I for one won't be allowing our standards to slip.

As the two publications (CPC/bit-tech & bit-gamer) are now to be re-split, this will likely bring an end to us reproducing magazine content online. Instead, you can look forward to unique content on both bit-tech and in CPC, with more from each that makes them great; namely, more Pictures of me raging at kit online, and more words about me raging at kit in the mag.

Finally, and I wish to state this to the fullest extent, there will be no change in editorial policy towards reviews. New Editor Simon Brew has been extremely clear on this part - if it's a turd, we'll still be calling it a turd.

Bit-tech has changed a lot over the years. From a bedroom site to a small company working out of a work unit in Ascot, to our current home at Dennis Towers. Editors have come and gone (Wil, Tim, Alex, James), staff have left and been replaced by new ones. Speaking as someone who's staying with bit, I have a huge passion for this website, and its audience. I hope you stick with us, and hopefully we can make bit bigger and better than ever.

Now pass that cheesecake...

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

What a shame!

Would like to say good luck to all those moving on.

Would also like to say to those who are staying let's hope you have as much luck with the new format of the site etc.

I will be sticking around to see how this all pan's out but I am not holding my breath.

8. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Well this sucks. RIP bit-tech.

9. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Holy ****, that was unexpectedly-expected. Good luck to all those moving on, it'd be nice to see your names popping up around the place, or just good luck in pastures new. Maybe this is a new dawn for Bit-tech, but whether Dennis will be prepared to allow the site to achieve anything more than its current shadow of its former self remains to be seen. If not, I'd see this as the beginning of the end...

It's difficult not to pre-judge, but let's hope that this is a good year for Bit-Tech and Custom PC.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

So what foes this mean from custompc and their sales team that phone and me weekly to get me to rejoin?
    Freelance makes me feel theyre doing a peter parker and if someone has something tech related itll be bought of them and posted rather than be a focused team.

11. sarcymac

sarcymac What's a Dremel?

Good luck James and the rest of the team who are leaving, hope the new arrivals keep up your high standards and show respect.

12. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Shocking just shocking, I will stick a round for a while to see how it turns out but my waters are telling me something is wrong or that I have an infection !

13. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

This is reassuring - I always enjoy reading your articles Harry - your style sits quite well with Tim's and Rich's in-depth analyses that I used to love.

Joe's gaming rants are also normally great fun to read.

It's saddened me over th last few months how little actual content there has been on bit-tech, obviously as a consequence of merging with a print magazine (hereafter known as a "book 'o' ads") where the revenue from exclusive content and news is (probably?) higher.

Hopefully this could now change back?

To Simon - Can we please go back to having at least one article, and 3-4 news items posted a day, like we used to? That kept me, and probably many others returning to the site. Now I just tend to hit the forums...:(

And dear lord, please can we have someone look into sourcing adverts that actually have a demographic that matches the site.

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sad times. To be honest, I come here for the community as much as anything, but if that goes because of the lack of good content than I'll be very sad indeed. Better sign up to the Hexus Forums just in case.

15. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I guess that's the end for me then, I was disappointed when bindi left and moved to asus, now the entire staff is moving freelance? No thanks, bit-tech holds no value to me anymore.

16. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

I'm taking over Custom PC, and I'm actually immensely excited about it. I'm going to be making a few changes, but I think they're all good - I'll provide all the details once James' last issue has gone on sale. The circumstances aren't ideal, but they have had the knock on effect of giving me a lot more flexibility in terms of what I can do with the magazine.

May I also take this opportunity to also thank James for the hard work he's put into editing both bit-tech and Custom PC. I've worked with James since the 1990s when we both worked on PC Pro, and I have a massive amount of respect for him both as a journalist and a fellow PC lover.

17. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

There's only so many ways you can say "it isn't making any money anymore so we're firing everyone."

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Barring our xmas break, we've always published at least one piece of content a day; it's something we've strived for. Regarding news, I know there are efforts in place to get the news content flowing more freely once again.

19. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Definitely reassuring, even if everything else has hinted at a serious downwards slide around here lately. Will stick it out a while more for the sake of the remaining staff members that I know, either way.

20. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Good luck guys :)

Or VB4 garbage!!

This is quite sad.... I do hope this site stays JUST LIKE IT IS NOW!!

Tags: Add Tags