Bits Coming in 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 5 Jan 2012.

1. Lethal

Lethal What's a Dremel?

Half way through reading the article, just thought I would comment before I forget. The PC Gaming requirements idea below, is just as confusing surely. Why not just use Windows 7 Scores?
    "For example, a PC with a 2GHz CPU, DX9 graphics and Windows XP could be classed as 7th Gen, in line with the PS3 and Xbox 360, while an 8th Gen PC could have a DX11 graphics chip and Windows 7. Of course, this is all still in the works at the moment, and none of it is set in stone, but we'll be very interested to see how this progresses. "

Also, can't wait for SSD's to become mainstream. I can not stand HD's anymore, they are so unreliable.

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Ummm Its called Onlive. Think Love Film/Netflix Approach with games instead or you can get unlimited time if you "buy" the game. consequently your first game is £1 if you sign up. Smart people will have multiple accounts.

3. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Um, sorry if this is a stupid question, but where exactly in Portal 2 is there a cameo of Gordon Freeman?
    I've played through the singleplayer mode twice and I didn't notice him or anything even slightly resembling his appearance. Unfortunately, I've not played co-op yet, so maybe he's there...

4. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

+1 to being able to use my own server as a "cloud"

Not a fan of having my data stored in a location I know nothing about especially after the number of hacks we had in 2011.

5. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Ditto, bro!
    It would've been nice if a little more info about IvyBridge and the new PantherPoint chipset were discussed. Maybe I somehow missed this in another article.
    The most info I could find about IvyBridge was here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)
    From the chart at Wiki, it appears that for all of us, the i7-3770K will be the cpu to buy, ASAP.
    3.5GHz at 77 Watts sound just fine to me. There's also supposed to be a 20% increase in performance. Let's see, I'm running 24x7 at 5GHz. so that means I'm looking forward to 6GHz.? WOW!
    I didn't even realize Ivy Bridge will be all LGA1155, either, but it'll take a new motherboard with the new 7 series PantherPoint chipset to realize all of IvyBridge's new features.
    As far as the rest of 2012's technology, this will be a quite sucky year.
    Hell, I can't even look forward to the Earth ending in December. Yes, the Earth, not the universe. The universe will keep on keeping on when the Earth eventually dies out, without blinking an eye.
    Thank you, Intel, for pulling the year 2012 out of the crapper! :rock:

6. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Would not surprise me 1 day Arm will take on Intel in the high end cpu market as Arm have been making blistering speed of late...

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I wish they would just release something to either say no the rumours are not true or they are about, the expected GTX 780 being 75% to 150% faster than the GTX 580.

Re-worked my finances last month and found I have more money each month than I thought so starting from this month I am putting £200 away for my next build so hopefully in, 5 months or 6 month's I will have enough and the new high performance card's will be out as I already have some money set aside from when I was thinking of going for Sandy Bridge E.

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

tbh, I'm already a bit fed up of the metro interface on the X-Box after only using it for a short while.

It takes too long to find what I'm looking for (even playing the disc in the drive is several clicks away whereas it should always be on the front menu) without using either the search option or Kinect's voice search (which let's face it, seems to be what MS're trying to push).

9. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Satellite has always been digital, hence the need for a big dish to receive clear signal and an expensive decoder. I feel your pain about free telly getting worse and worse. I don't even watch TV anymore because there's so much crap to wade through...

240GB wouldn't be enough for me for enything except a system disk. I dual-boot windows and Linux, so that's 180GB gone instantly. With that much space gone, there just isn't enough space for my music which is now nearing the 150GB mark. I myself would need at least 480GB but those are simply hilariously expensive as of now. As well, HDDs will remain for data archival because short of manually wiping the drive using magnets, there's precious little than can harm the data on the actual disk if its well kept in a stable, cool, dust-free, vibration-free environment.

10. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

arrrrgh, please stop putting apostrophe "s" after every word ending in s!!!

javaman likes this.
  11. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

So is NVIDIA not doing anything in 2012 ? ;)

Last edited: 6 Jan 2012
  12. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Consoles will never be replaced with smartphones.
    It would never be as simple as connect a mini hdmi to tv. What about controllers? Power? Game storage?
    Smartphones are ok for the occasional game of Angry Birds, but thats as far it goes gaming wise.

13. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

A dock would be nice there. Veery nice in fact. Stuff connects to dock which then presents a combination HID-class and HDMI/DP out.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

In Britain, yes...
    but no, you've got freesat don't you?

Many other european countries have analogue sat. Germanys analogue sat is beeing switched off come april though.

Britains sat needed to be encoded because royalties are paid depending upon number of possible recipients. The network would have had to pay for all of europe without encoding.
    Germany dubs nearly everything, so they pay royalties only for the germanspeaking inhabitants of europe.
    Austia also dubs, and they are encoded, otherwise they'd too have to pay for all of germany, and not just the few austrians, for instance.

15. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Coming in 2012.........me.

16. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

Nice article

17. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Interesting. Never knew that. I'm not from UK, and where I am, sat is basically pure pay channels and as such digital and encoded since forever.

18. Kruelnesws

Kruelnesws What's a Dremel?

Wow, i must say i was a little taken a back by some of the things I read. I live in Canada (long time fan of BT) and even though everyone thinks we still live in igloos that is not the case. We have had 4G networks for over a year now. We went to digital only broadcasting a couple years ago and I have 100mb/s internet that I pay $40 CAD for. I thought 5mb/s internet was slow. When I read that most people are struggling to get 2mb/s i was shocked. Over boxing day I went steam crazy. I was downloading 5mb/s while using 3mb/s on bittorrent and surfing the internet with ease. Also my brother was downloading and there were 2 instances of netfilx all at one time with absolutely no slow down. I feel for you my English brethren. I always figured you were a few steps ahead of us.

19. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Kill me now.

20. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

...Wow, that was even more depressing than the article

Tags: Add Tags