1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrP, 11 Jan 2012.

1. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

Am thinking (again) about buying myself a new laptop.

i'd like something with 4-5 hours battery life and a bit of gaming ability (bit of WOW, trackmania, maybe something else), 15" preferably

as laptops now seem to have progressed i'm a bit stumped.

i was looking at an acer 5750 with the nvidia 540m GPU, but to be honest, i dont know how much better that is than the standard 2nd gen core i3/i5 gpu, or AMD's llano GPU's.

absoloute CPU performance isnt really that important, i'd image the hardest thing it would do it some youtube or iplayer HD content, maybe some 1080p mkv's

budget is under £500

lemme know what you think, and if the nvidia 540 GPU is worth it

thanks

2. derpooch

derpooch What's a Dremel?

My laptop has one in; it isn't a great GPU but still runs trackmania fine, I also play a bit of left for dead 2 on it. (I have the i7 version of the 5750). I seem to recall Llano's GPU being about on par/just behind the 540M when I was reading up on it. ( I will try to give a better answer when I am finished work)

3. asye288

asye288 What's a Dremel?

If you perfer the Acer brand, I do recommend Acer TimelineX 8472T. It is an intel core i5 cpu, 600gb hdd, 4gb ram and 14" led backlit monitor. Battery life is about 7-8 hours depending on usage. I got one myself and I'm happy with it. I paid $700 a year ago, I believe the price has come down a bid.