1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Man, im glad i am not your scroll saw;) I would not like being used that much:D

Amazing patiente you got mate. I would have exploded many pages back if it was my mod:D

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: I am greatly inspired by him as a DIYer of chunky awesomeness, thanks John. :thumb:

Thanks Kayin mate, appreciated. :)

:D It has played on my mind a little :eeek: I'd be very :waah: if it did :D Cheers voigts.

2 Really nice features to look for in a scroll saw is easy blade change & easy tension setting, I think this scroll saw is about as good as they get so cost me heaps but if only using 1 a bit a normal one will be fine, I just imagined all the potential uses, not just detailed panels, interlocking parts. :rock::D

:D Thanks wejjy, I never usually worry about getting or not getting comments but I thought I did something wrong so thought I was being given the cold shoulder :blush::lol: I been a bit stressed with quite a few things lately also & all this sawing takes a bit of a toll on my focus & concentration, I just needed a good super long sleep. :D

Thanks Cleveland, for the edges I'll be using drum sanders, they make it fairly effortless cleaning up edges & even pushing them close to polished, bulk of the sanding being done on this will be after I have everything fixed together. :thumb:

Thanks Phyonics appreciated mate, no one is rushing me though it's me who rushes me :lol: but still I won't rush it to the point where I'll mess it up ;) cheers.

:hehe: I could do with modding my room, it's not in good shape really, on my to do list, cheers Sarakon. :thumb:

:D I am sooooo impressed it has kept running nice after what I've put it through :hehe: it was very mentally straining earlier in the project seeing all what needed to be cut & knowing how long some parts take, :waah::lol: through the thick of it now though thank goodness :D cheers p0Pe. :thumb:

Progressed a very good bit for the feet, all I need to do now is 5 drill hoes going about 7mm into the plates ends but then I need 6mm aluminium rod, I could buy some or I could sand down the 1/4 inch rod I have, cut a few pieces & JB Weld them in place & these feet will be rock solid but I'll save the JB Weld for after anodising. ;)

Also then need to do some well placed holes for mounting the front plates & then mounting holes for attaching to the bottom panel.

Did these 2 yesterday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Completed the other 2 today so that's the set, next stage for these 4 pieces is a big filing session to get the angles how I want them.
    [​IMG]

Last 2 side legs.
    [​IMG]

Drill helper in action.
    [​IMG]

Finishing the holes to desired depth.
    [​IMG]

More cutting.
    [​IMG]

More sanding.
    [​IMG]

Ta daaa, interlocked. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parts pile grows again. :)
    [​IMG]

I'll see if I can get the feet completed tomorrow, thanks for looking. :)

Last edited: 14 Apr 2012
  3. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

ACK! Bad Waynio!

Scroll saw or not, putting your entire hand in front of a blade is bad news waiting to happen. Hopefully you weren't actually cutting here and just staging a picture...right? RIGHT??

:D

Keep your limbs, bud.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Yeah, bit risky but the only time I cut myself with the scroll saw was when a fine blade snapped & when I went to brush off the dust it sliced my hand open, tiny bit of the blade that snapped off was poking out a tiny bit, it got stuck right into my finger & oh wow it was a git to pull out but managed it, was like a fish hook completely in, ouch. :lol:

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nah, Achron has a point. If the blade snaps it can stab you 30 times before you react. Clamps, a stick of wood, and scraps from the same material for spacers make a better hold down.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Good tip, thanks cheaps I know Achron has a good point, I should edit the photo saying don't do it like this, I'll do it ASAP. :)

Done. :)

7. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Chain mail glove like packing house workers use is light but scary tough to bandsaws and jigsaws. Cheap and worth WAY more than lost pieces parts.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2012
  8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

You want to end up missing parts of digits like me? Chain glove like John says. Better yet, a stick.

9. Archer

Archer Talga Vassternich - Deserve Victory

Ok, ignoring the hand vice of death :p its looking good :D I first thought your stack of parts was somehow one beeeg foot assembly, so I stared at it like a fool for a couple of minutes trying to figure it out before I realised it was just ... well stack of parts :D

How secure are those 'joins?' Do you think you'll need to screw it together, or use some sort of metal glue to keep it like that? I'm thinking of doing something similar next time round.

10. peteski

peteski long live the pc

looking :jawdrop::jawdrop: mate :rock: :rock: :rock:

11. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

The feet are shaping up nicely :thumb:

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Chain mail gloves sound good until I seen the price of them :lol: it brought the modder in me out, :D so I'll just get a piece of that stainless steel sheet I still have, it bends very easy but is tough to cut so could make a simple hand guard wrap, cost less than £1 & could stick some rubber grip to the bottom of it for grip & so it doesn't mark surfaces. :D:rock:

I’m onto it Kayin ;) thanks for the concern guys, appreciated while I still have all digits. :)

:lol: I'm taking a few wood work touches to aluminium, people use dowels I'm using aluminium rods & using JB weld to keep them fixed :D but only after anodising, I believe they will be incredibly strong especially with the interconnecting bits, them by themselves feel absolutely rock solid, but I have a feeling I’ve setup an impossible assembly if I do use rods on a couple of joints but if I have it will be screwed to the bottom level anyway so will be ok. :D

Thanks peteski :D

Thanks Sarakon I will continue work on them tomorrow, need to do something else today. :)

The sound card I ordered for the HTPC.
    Auzentech x-fi forte low profile nice sound card for the HTPC $150 = £94
    Express delivery $50 = £31
    Total £125 which is either the same or a tiny bit more than they cost when they were stocked in UK shops.
    Clearance fee £13.50 which I guess is me paying for them being paranoid & thumbling about with my package & import VAT £22 = £35.
    Total total £160 for an x-fi forte, stinging ouch :waah:.

Auzentech cards in the UK I can't find anywhere that sells them anymore so had to go direct, heard of too many issues with pixmania which is the closest shop based in France I think. :(

13. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

With all the response that generated, it looks like you fixed the "people bored" thing :lol: I don't think I'd ever do it that way :worried: But then again, I also don't have a scroll saw :D

The pieces are starting to pile up, and they're looking great! :dremel:

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: I know, all quiet & then whoa :hehe: quite a bit to reply to, felt a little overwhelmed at first. :D Cheers Mosquito. :)

I would have done a bit more today but something came up I needed to do. :)

Earlier today I took the GPU & sound card out, released all the fans on Stealthlow so I could give it a good cleaning, looks mint again :D but when I put it back together I was getting BSOD after another so I automatically thought the SSD had corrupted.

Backed everything up from the main drive by using a usb drive with Ubuntu on it, then tried loading a ghost image, still getting BSOD. :(

Reinstalled win 7, all going good, came up to final touches like sound card drivers & upon reboot BSOD :wallbash::lol: so instantly knew something was wrong with the sound card.

Unplugged it & plugged it back in, tried booting up, it works. :confused: Anyway I'm back up to speed again now. :)

15. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Hey Wayne, I didn't look into your log for a while (busy). Nice progress! ...and keep your hands safe :rock:

16. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Base is really looking good. :)

I will add, use a brush to clean filings. Good habit to start and keep. :)

17. GLA-58

GLA-58 What's a Dremel?

In my job, when I see people doing such stupid things as shown on the photograph, I have to give them an official warning. :sigh: But hey, what one does at home is his own business. :thumb:
    So I think guiding clamps would be a better solution ?? Or somthing like that. :D

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheers Pete :) on future cutting I'll show off my new glove. :D:dremel:

Thanks Craig, I did get into the habit of using a brush but I lost it some how but dug out a nice fat paint brush & keep it next to me whenever doing stuff like this now. :thumb:

:hehe: I'm glad people give a sheet while I have good functioning hands. :)
    I'll show my power glove on next cutting session :dremel::D but even just a couple of small planks of wood with a good rubber grip underneath to keep my fingers away from the blade but still keeping pressure on the work close to the blade would do the trick nicely, in fact that is probably the best solution. :)

Today I'll tackle the filing on the feet front pieces, will be a nice change of pace, but I have realised that I have indeed made an impossible assembly for them so 4 of the drilled holes will have to be drilled all the way through else it will be impossible to assemble. :duh:

Actually there is an alternative without spoiling the look of them but it only just came to mind. :)

19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I hate it when I miss things. :p
    Looking great once again!

JBond likes this.
  20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Where you been mate, cheers kidmod. :)

Decided to start doing more actual WIP pictures but don't want thousands of pictures to upload over the course of the log so I'm starting to bunch them together either in 2s or 4s so it shows a more complete progression & showing full pictures for finished pieces or near finished, I'll put a / in-between descriptions of each picture cluster. :D

It's cool in the cellar but not like 0c or below like it was in the garage when it got colder which made me leave my camera in the house so I can keep it aside on every session now without worrying about it causing damage, even my mp3 player used to crash when over in the garage because of the cold, it's probably about 10c in the cellar virtually all year round, really nice temperature to mod in.

Back to hand tools woo hooo :D which let me use my full force, I missed it so much really, it exhausts the body which is a way I'm far more used to, whereas the scroll sawing exhausts the mind mostly with having to go at it's pace instead of my own so that tires me more than this, this just calls for regular recovery breaks & more showers because it makes me sweat a lot & it's cool in the cellar, usually need a fleece on. :)

Here they are just after carefully scoring them with scalpel & ruler so I have perfect lines that won't come unstuck while they get filed. / Templates removed showing the lines. / Harsh file, medium file & soft file. / It begins.
    [​IMG]

Busy / busy / busy lol / done 1 edge. :D
    [​IMG]

I was having difficulty clamping the small pieces on the workbench so decided to cut up to the peg holes in it so I could get them further in, the peg holes are supposed to act as a type of clamp but I never use them because they are rubbish, so no loss & all gain. :D / It worked excellent, I had to place a bit of same height scrap so I could catch the angles right.
    [​IMG]

Busy / I find throwing my leg over helps to prevent back ache & lets me throw more force into it.
    [​IMG]

Done the filing stage of 1 of these pieces, I started late & it was getting very late so called it a day, up next for these is a quick drum sanding session which will make them very nice. :)
    [​IMG]

A few pictures of the result.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I have thought of how I can fix these to the legs without making it an impossible assembly which could be tomorrow if I start early enough. ;)

Next update should be less wordy too, just had some things to mention with changing the style of the log a little. :D

---------
    Stealth update.

Wasn't tired at all last night so I "could have" got a load done during the night & all day "if" I'd have just gone for it when I was focused & alert but I left it too late to the point where I have the energy but have clumsy focus so I'll leave it until tomorrow now.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2012