1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Big Brother

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BoCoMoFo, 14 Apr 2003.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I was poking around the Parts Express web site (god I love my job!) and came across blank speaker cabinets! The finished ones are REAL nice, but pricy, however, the "naked" cabinets are a steal and can be finished with whatever you want, including Monokote! :dremel:
    Check the raw ones out here
    Finished ones here

Hell, they even have subwoofer amps!

2. fatal_error

fatal_error What's a Dremel?

does your existing psu have a second output that you would normally use for a monitor but lets face it no one does :D if it did could you not just use that as the source for the second psu which would probably be easier than using a relay???

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

DOH! :wallbash: Didn't even think about that!

4. Annon

Annon What's a Dremel?

Great job on the reciever mount!!!

I'm curious about that model (I've been looking to get a MD reciever for the car) does it support LP format?

5. BoCoMoFo

BoCoMoFo What's a Dremel?

fatal_error, that wouldn't work because the receiver needs to always have power to keep its settings, and to be able to have the power to close after it's been shut down. Besides, I actually use that outlet for the monitor. :p

Annon, the model is KMD-X92, and it came out way before the LP format did, which is why I eventually switched to an MP3 receiver. Your best bet would be to look for a Sony model, since most manufacturers quit making MD receivers when the MP3 format caught on.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Damn.... that's the sweetest thing i've seen all year. Jeezus.......

7. VoLCoM

VoLCoM What's a Dremel?

Where have you bought your 2" speakers..??? what is the price and the maker and model??
    please
    your PC is really cool with the Kenwood receiver....but.. when you turn it off... does it loose all of the information like...time and date??

thanks
    -Guillaume

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I meet a new Parts Express person every day.
    I shop there too (and ask newb questions on Tech Talk)

9. BoCoMoFo

VoLCoM, you shoulda read a little closer. I already gave a link to the speakers in an earlier post. Here it is again: >>LINK<<. As far as the receiver goes, I already ordered a relay from Parts Express that I'm going to put inline between the external PSU and the ignition wire of the receiver. When the PC is booted up, it will trigger the relay and give power to the ignition wire, causing it to flip over and turn on. The constant power is also coming from the external PSU, so the memory won't be wiped out when I shut down; the external PSU is never shut off.

:cooldude:

10. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I saw a project where a guy took 32 of them, a 6' length of 4" PVC, and mounted them in it.

11. BoCoMoFo

No more noisey videocard!

I got my new fanless Zalman videocard cooler today! :clap:

This beast is getting a little too loud for me with all these fans in it, so I'm trying to find new ways to cool it. The first thing I did was ditch one of the two 92mm system fans, then I hooked my CPU fan up to my Rheobus so I could turn it down a little (still runs only 47°C), and finally installed this fanless heatsink on the videocard to get rid of a little more noise. That 50mm fan was actually pretty loud since it always ran at top speed. I don't game, so I doubt the videocard will ever have any heating problems, especially with that remaining 92mm fan blowing over the heatsink. :cooldude:

Here it is freshly installed. The installation was way easier than I thought, and only took about 15 minutes. They didn't include very much thermal paste, so I compensated with some Arctic Silver 3:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is in the case with plenty of room to spare:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

God you're good! Real sweet job there!:jawdrop: :thumb: :dremel:

13. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

damn thats a sweet looking case, stunning work and the with the facia permanantly on it looks stunning. Wish i'd got a 70/75 now instead of my 60, only place i could find them was maplins at the tim (doh) and they are £250 which was a bit ott.

EDIT
    Did your zalman gfx card heatsink sit perfectly? or was there a gap between the rear block and the rear fin section. seems to not fit perfectly resulting in a 1/16"-1/8" gap, is touching the heatpipe fine so it doesnt make much difference as its the back (if it were the front, it'd go straight back). Just a side note from the stunning case.

14. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Man, that's amazing. You took a great case and made it more awesome than words can describe. I had thought about putting a car stereo into my comp a year or so ago but I just dropped the idea as being too difficult.
    You have proven me wrong. I may have to try it out. My main inspiration for the idea was the NewQ device and, more simply, a graphical Eq.
    How is the 5-1/4 inch drive cage held in after you de-rivited and cut it?

15. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

ignore

pressed the wrong button

16. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

BoCoMoFo, to get your stereo working as you want, you need to connect the separate power supply to the ground and positive supply to your minidisc player. This ground must also be connected to the ground in your computer (e.g. the black wire of one of your molex connectors). Then connect a 12V from the pc (yellow wire) to the ignition input on your minidisc player.

It is important that you have a proper ground connection between the two power supplies, and from what I've read it seems that you have missed this out.

17. BoCoMoFo

SteveyG: it's been up and running for months now. I simply connected the external PSU's ground the the receiver's ground, and the ignition and positive wires both to the positive on the external PSU. A relay is on the ignition wire so when the PC's PSU comes on, it triggers it and the reciver powers on.

18. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Yeah, that was going to be my second suggestion. Sorry, I must have missed your post saying you'd done that.

Out of interest, when it wasn't working was it the common between the two PSU's that you'd missed off?

19. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Wow, that looks good. Especially the hidden player thingy.

And you definitely have an obsession bloo LED fans. You need help. Immediately :p

:thumb:

20. Dark_Blender

Dark_Blender What's a Dremel?

Wow thats a pretty awesome mod with the MD player. Your case is turning out pretty glorious bro. It also seems like your into the mass sound like me. I got 1400 watts and PA speakers right behind me and its pretty zesty to crank the music and rock to games on it. :rock: