1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Dark Knight Rises

Discussion in 'General' started by Hamfunk, 19 Jul 2012.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Batman Begins has got Liam Neeson fighting Batman, what more do you want!

although Dark Knight Rises has got Bane breaking Batman. (i had nerdgasm at that moment)

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Marion Cotillard should be ashamed of herself for her death scene

Yes! OMG it was so terrible. But, also, on reflection, I agree with your points Apocalypso

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Good film, but not great. A lot of plot niggles for me and no where near as intense as TDK.

And honestly, the Joker, whilst a great performance, did not make TDK. Dent's two face is far more intriguing and make's the Joker look very one dimensional. If the film had ended with the Joker getting caught everyone woulda been, oh nice film. But it's the story of Dent getting twisted that makes it a gruesome thriller.

4. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

That's a controversial opinion.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm going to see it tonight! I'm excited! :D

6. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Very controversial indeed!

While i agree the plot theme was dark and interesting, Aaron Eckharts performance let the whole thing down. That whole part of the story felt rushed.

7. Krak_2k

Krak_2k What's a Dremel?

I think I preferred TDK a bit more to Rises.
    TDK just took my by surprise as Begins was a good movie, but it didn't prepare me for TDK. Rises on the other hand had a lot to live up to and in some way it delivers, but in others, it just wasn't as intense. Perhaps on subsequent viewings I might enjoy it more.

PS did anyone else find it hard to understand what Bane was saying sometimes?

8. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

There were a few things that I wasn't too crazy about in this movie, such as Bruce escaping the prison, as well as Talia's anticlimactic death scene (was hoping for an admittedly cliche Selina/Talia catfight) but generally I loved it.

Bane was incredible, especially his voice.
    I liked Selina in this movie better than Pfeiffer's Catwoman. Just felt she had more depth as a character.

Some quotes that really made the movie for me:
    Selina: You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
    Bane: And you think this gives you power over me?
    Bane: (In response to "there's no money here") Really? Then why are you people here?

And probably my two favorite scenes were when the police charged Bane's army and when the Bat-signal went up. Would definitely watch this again.

In TDK I liked Two-Face but not Harvey Dent so much. Harvey's character just seemed too "soft" to be the hero that Gordon and Batman made him out to be, but I guess he was the hero that Gotham needed... or deserved... or something like that :p

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I have to go against everyone here and say that TDKR was the best of the 3 films. I found this to be more engaging especially with Bruce's inner turmoil and the whole
    civilisation is only three meals away from anarchy
    aspect.

My wife commented (and I have to agree), the Catwoman goggles folding up to imply ears was better than any cheesy mask previously done.

He did.
    Batman spoke to him before he flew off that anyone can be a hero "even by putting a coat around a kid's shoulders," and he had a lightbulb moment.

THINGS I LIKED:
    JGL turned out to be Robin
    Scarecrow cameo as the Judge
    Batman being just a man at some point that can be broken

The thing I didn't like the most (and it annoys me whenever the plot device is used in a film) is
    we have this device that once unplugged it will become unstable and eventually explode (or if I put this bottle of chemicals into this petrol tanker for example). Yet somehow there manages to be this big glowy countdown timer that means people will know when it will explode TO THE SECOND.
    GRR!!!! That and
    why make a "death leap" when you've climbed nearly to the top of the vertical wall. Why not keep climbing the same hand holds you've been using the whole way up?

9/10. Loved it.

EDIT: LOL: It turns out the thing that was bugging me was already mentioned on the tropes site mentioned by hyperion

Last edited: 26 Jul 2012
  10. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Loved it and its as good if not better than TDK. A must watch, specially on the big screen. I have to admit that I was a bit sceptical that it would not be as good as TDK, but even though theres a lot of the movie without Batman, it still has some amazing moments which have nothing to do with special effects.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That was my point - he didn't know BEFORE this? He's the chief detective of the police and met him more than anyone, yet everyone else who met him seemed to know.

12. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Can anyone answer this one for me?

In the opening scene, why is Bane performing a blood transfusion during the plane hijack?

Just didn't get the reason for that.

13. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Fixed that for you! :thumb:

So the body found in the crashed jet is assumed to be the physicist (who Bane then used to turn the Fusion reactor into a bomb)

Done, next!

14. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Too late hamfunk beat me to it.

15. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

My assumption would have been DNA for the corpse?

The film was fantastic, but TDK was better. But then you could never match that villain.

As for Commissioner being a bit slow. To be fair he was never really interested in finding out the man behind the mask. He accepted Batman for who he was - A symbol of Hope, more than a man.

Hence when asked 'Don't you want to know who he is?' Gordon laughed and replied 'I know who he is - The Batman'

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Overall I thought it was pretty good, though a little predictable at several points - however I feel it was a good conclusion to the trilogy.

Admittedly, there's a whole raft of plot holes and mistakes. My list goes as follows:
    - You can recover from a broken back by doing press-ups and popping vertebrae back in? My medical training says no.
    - The big bad "hell" prison, full of nasty people and rapists is actually calm, quiet and inmates all group together to chant whilst people climb for moral support. What?
    How does Bane's mask prevent pain? Again, medical training says lolwot?
    - Stupid audio editing with Bane, with him alternating between being clearly audible one minute and intelligible the next. Nolan just can't do audio it seems, the last films had audio issues as well.
    - Bruce just rolled over and let himself go bankrupt, despite the stock shennanigans clearly being fraud, and never ever bothered to get his money back
    - Police charging at 3 Tumblers and men with automatic rifles? Good job they can't shoot! Surely the police, being armed with pistols and a few rifles maybe, would have done a sneak attack rather than a frontal charge
    - The Bat got out of range that fast, plus time for Bruce to escape the blast radius as well? In less than a minute, once we'd gotten out from the buildings

I do, however, love Anne Hathaway <3

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

To be quiet honest, I don't know what to think now I've read this thread.

I saw it, I loved it. I read this thread, and I started wondering whether I'm the only one who suspended the disbelief for this superhero (Even though he has no superpowers to speak of) film..

I enjoyed the film. I'm willing to suspend disbelief over the back thing because, as he says himself (Admittedly not in the film..) "I'm the goddamn Batman".

Bruce not fighting the money thing.. Well, he had more important things to deal with, namely Bane. Fox said in the long term they'd prove fraud, so I figure that's what happened, and since Bruce was "Dead" (Does no one know you can't kill the Bat?), I don't see why it was an issue. No one would believe he was dead if he kept using his bank cards now, would they.

Everyone knowing who Batman is? I figure the Robin/Nightwing/John Blake thing was reasonably explained, Bane/Talia, well.. Ra's knew who Batman was, so it doesn't seem too unlikely that - In their plan to destroy Gotham - that bit of information would have gone unmentioned.

Banes mask.. Well. It's meant to supply medication. Why it has to be on the face? No ****ing clue. Must be to make him look more imposing than Tom Hardy otherwise does.

The Bat getting the bomb out of the city, and Batman then escaping is a touch perplexing (Given the in-cockpit shot), but assuming that the autopilot patch mentioned by Fox and the techies was correct, then there's nothing to say Bruce wasn't out of the Bat long before it got over the ocean (Which makes sense, otherwise people watching would have seen his escape, and so on).

Gordon not knowing Bruce was the Batman is. Well, it's not uncommon. In fact, it's never stated, but it's often the case in the comics that Gordon is smart enough to work it out, but doesn't want to. Some readers reckon it's for the "plausible deniability" aspect, others reckon it's so Batmans effectiveness isn't reduced, which sounds more like hogwash than "plausible deniability".

As for the Bomb truck, it looks to me like an Oshkosh LVSR - Those things are tough as old boots, so "squishing" under its own weight isn't massively likely. As to why she didn't follow the windows coming out the front, though, I can only assume the massive steering wheel stopped her doing that. Probably broke several bones, too..

Tbh, I thought everyone played their part well. I was genuinely surprised by Hathaway - I've only ever see her do the feel-good type chick flicks, and subsequently dismissed her pretty much. Very glad she took the role, now.

18. burnoutuk

burnoutuk What's a Dremel?

Very enjoyable. Not quite as good as the first two.
    They missed a trick with Bane though. Brian Blessed should have played the part :D

19. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Saw this at the IMAX today - stunning! We need more directors like Nolan tbh, less malarky with 3D and more focus on the IMAX format. I swear it felt like almost half the film was using the full IMAX screen :rock: I'm also glad I stuck to my tradition of avoiding every single screenshot/trailer where I can before seeing a movie I want to see in the theater. Makes the movie so much more enjoyable imo.

Agreed on Hathaway, I wasn't sold on her playing Selina Kyle when I heard about it... very glad to be wrong on that one :D If there is one complaint I have is that the audio "enhancement" of Bane's voice was far too much at times. I do believe this is perhaps the first movie in the theater where I would've liked subtitles lol. Still, a great movie and I look forward to watching it again :thumb:

20. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

without being all critical of the whole thing and nitpicking, my only complaint is that compared to the Joker, Bane was just plain boring as a villain. with the Joker, I wondered why he was doing everything, and what made him what he is, and was given no clear answer, but with Bane, the movie just tells you, but i didn't actually care.

also... did anyone else think that Bane sounded like if they had Sean Connery do the voice for Darth Vader?