1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Should I get an SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andyj87, 10 Aug 2012.

1. andyj87

andyj87 What's a Dremel?

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/Shop/SavedBasket/Show.aspx?id=8b04fc3479434286afaa6ef50f41b849

The above link is my current PC which I will be building with a friend, one change however is that the mobo is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H which is £20 less. I cant change it on that saved build because its on a friends account.
    I will be using the PC mainly for gaming, University work and browsing the internet.

My question is should I get the 64GB SSD that I have on that build? I cant afford to get a larger SSD right now. My problems were that it seems like a very large investment to make for what I get from it, I know my PC will boot faster and load times reduced, but my problem is that 64GB doesnt seem like I have much space to play around with, especially after the 20GB OS.

So should I get rid of the 64GB, save £50 and then in a few months when I can afford it, get a 120 or 180GB SSD and install most of my games on it? I assume SSDs will be cheaper then anyway and it would be much less hassle because I wouldn't have to worry about steam
    mover or any programs like that. However I have heard that reinstalling your OS at a later date onto the SSD is difficult or time consuming or just generally bad. Can any of you shed some light on this, as that is my main concern with buying it later on but I dont know if it is just internet scaremongering.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you are going to get an SSD, get a 256GB Sync SSD (what you picked is good, I would get the 256GB version). Go in or not worth it. That's my view on it.
    With 256GB you can put all your stuff in it, maybe not movies and music.. keep those on the HDD. And depending on how many games you play simultaneously, you can have your games on it as well. Or at least, the games that you most often or slow to load, and keep the rest on your HDD.

Other SSD recommendations, which you may want to check out for the lowest price:
    -> OCZ Vertex 4 (I have that one)
    -> Crutial M4

Personally I would also recommend to get a fast 7200RPM HDD.
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 is a good choice, or if you want a quiet one as well, and similar performance to the F3, you can get the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB.

If you can't afford a 256GB.. maybe a 128GB one might do, depending on how many programs you have and games. But if that is too much, I would wait until you have the funds, and mean while get a faster HDD.

Also, note:
    When you build your system, before installing Windows (very important), to set your SATA Controller to AHCI mode. This will enable TRIM support for SSD's, and NCQ support for your HDD, which will greatly boost it's performance at visible levels.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2012
  3. Bokeh

Bokeh What's a Dremel?

I'm with GoodBytes on this, personally I have a 240GB RevoDrive combined with a fast 500GB HDD which is the perfect size/combination for most people I know. It allows you to install all of the system/programs/games that really benefit from the access speeds the SSD will give you, with enough freedom (for myself at least) which means you don't have to constantly monitor your usage, swap things around.

All I would say is try and work out how much space you really need for programs (and OS), try and give yourself a bit of headroom and then see what comes to offer. Several of my friends work fine with 120/128GB drives, some with that secondary HDD for documents.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Install your OS without activating on the HDD for the first month or so to play around with. Then get a Samsung 830 256GB and follow through with a proper fresh installation. Wipe the HDD for storage and use the SSD for OS and games!

5. Bokeh

Bokeh What's a Dremel?

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If it was me, I wouldn't bother with a 64GB SSD. I would see too much space management issues in my future. I'm happy with a 128GB in my laptop coupled with a Hard Disk Drive. But for my main rig I would probably want at least a 256GB. Really it depends on what your usage will be.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Definitely agree that a 64GB SSD is too small - go for 120/128GB minimum.

Going back to your original question:
    Abso-mutherfloggin-lutely!

Seriously, do it. You will not regret it.

8. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

9. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Puppi speaks wisdom here. You can get a 120 gb agility 3 for about 20 more than the Kingston also.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

10. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Most definitely. An SSD is well worth the money and you won't regret it. Personally I would recommend the M4 because I have one and I think its great.

As a side note, Scan says that "your basket cannot be loaded" - what are the rest of your specs?

Sent from Bit-Tech App on Nexus 7

11. andyj87

andyj87 What's a Dremel?

Thats a great deal, thanks :)

12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

wonder what that would do for load times on a PS3? its so cheap why not right?

13. TheManicGibbon

I've been wondering about this too. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't improve them as much as a PC.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

No TRIM on a PS3 so you'd want a SSD with better built in GC like the Intel ones...

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

or the crucial or samsung ones since they have good garbage collection as well

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I've got bitten by the SSD bug last year but I bought too early when the prices were still high.

Started with a 60Gb OCZ Vertex 2 for my laptop which actually ended up in my workstation as a Ubuntu boot drive.

Then an Intel 80Gb SSD went into my laptop again linux joy, and the final SSD I bought was a OCZ Agility 3 120Gb which is in my Thinkpad, perfect size for a laptop.

However with every purchase you can see, i've chased storage size vs cost at the time, if I waited 2 months my 120Gb SSD would have been a 240Gb for less than what I paided for the 120Gb.

Small SSD's are a painful waste of cash unless its application is limited. 60Gb perfect for a HTPC which stores its media on a networked server, or a netbook.

Currently I've put all upgrades of hiatus until the new year, as SSD's seem to be falling in price and there size growing. (I need to buy in bulk)

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

actually SSD`s seem to have bottomed in price for now

18. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Absolutely. I love having my 256GB M4. It is one of those things you will never go back from and always wonder how anyone ever managed without.

19. TheManicGibbon

I can see the rest of your basket now. I've also just ordered a 3570K with a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, same RAM too, but I've bought an Antec Kuhler H2O 620 because it looked cool. I'll put in my existing M4 SSD as well. Mine's also for uni, good luck with your build!

You may also want to consider upping your storage to a 2TB drive as I believe these are the best value for money at this point in time. Only £10-£15 more than a 1TB drive for double the capacity is a pretty good deal.

20. Air_Cooling

Air_Cooling What's a Dremel?

You can always start small and add additional SSD's as things start to fill up.
    Small, simple to add in to you build.