1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Counter Strike: Global Offensive (IE: CS 2)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by tennisball, 12 Aug 2011.

1. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Any heavy CS: Source players opinions on it? Feel much different besides the graphical touches? I'd prefer something closer to 1.6 than Source as I'd imagine most hardcore fans would, but I'm not holding my breath!

2. Mizugetsu

Mizugetsu What's a Dremel?

SHITE is my opinion after playing CSS for 8 years

3. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I bought it last night and played it for a couple of hours. My initial impressions were less than euphoric until I took the time to tweak the settings and go into the gun range and get my sensitivity sorted and test out recoil etc.

After that, and adjusting for CS again (been playing BF3 like a fiend since it's release), it started to improve massively for me and I really had the feeling of CS 1.6 once again.

You can really tell they've had competitive players in consulting on this, there is a wealth of small details and improvements. From the incendiary nade to the new map layouts. This is definitely going to become highly competitive and with it's 1.6 feel I can see the community slowly moving on at last.

Spend some time getting used to it without expecting to own straight off the bat and tweak your settings (there's LOTS of improvements here from the HUD customisation to gfx) and you'll be feeling very in control in no time.

4. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Interesting that two replies are completely different there! I too played it last night for about 45 minutes. First impressions are a bit weak :(

Not sure whether it's in absence of playing CS: Source for such a long time, but the hit registration actually seems worse.

I've not written it off just like that, but it's not a good start. A few things I've noticed:

The hud: Even when scaled down, is too busy and distracting.

Sound effects: Guns specifically; what the hell happened to the AK47? I always used to remember the sharp sound of it firing that made my hands tingle and get the tension rolling. The new gun sounds aren't anything like that.

Hit registration: I'm not sure if it's due to my absence from Source, but does it not seem worse to anyone? Not even just with myself, but when specc'in team mates some of the last standing fire fights are just hilarious.

Graphics: I don't think anybody was expecting miracles, but there isn't really anything worth talking about here. Some of the textures are a bit stale, and Aztec as a prime example especially, I think actually looks worse in places.

Decoy and incendiary grenades are a nice touch, though. The map changes and additional content just isn't enough to keep this alive IMO. I've not given up on it after an hour, but I'm definitely not impressed.... at all. There is a reason I stopped playing Source, and half of those reasons are still clear as day.

5. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Hit reg seems improved to me from 1.6 :D

6. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

lol, I can't even remember 1.6 now! It's been at least 2-3 years since I played Source heavily as well. The jury is still out on it for me at the moment me thinks.

7. Digi

At just under a tenner it's like a reworked CS 1.6 and for that I think the changes are vast enough to warrant that kind of realistic pricing.

Sounds: You are right about the gun sounds though, takes some getting used to and it would be nice if they imported the originals from 1.6 as far as possible.

Graphics: I've cranked mine up to full for everything and the difference is plain from source and is obviously a vast improvement on 1.6 which I would prefer to compare it too. Again, it's a tenner and miracles can't be expected from the source engine by now. I'm amazed it looks even half as good as it does. I used to run source and 1.6 at 1280x1024 even on my 24'' 1920x1080 monitor but now I'm trying to run it at max res and it takes some getting used to at longer ranges. You changed this also?

Hit Reg: I thought it was off at first myself until I began to get used to the recoil of the weps again. They seem to have tweaked this a lot so that single shot has become king, burst seems less reliable and spray at anything apart from dead on will get you nowhere compared to 1.6 where it was possible if you knew the recoil and spread patterns. Spend some time on the weapon range and you'll soon get used to it and see what it's doing.

HUD: You're right here again, I did think it was cluttered myself. You can turn off some of (most of?) the messages via options but it's still quite busy compared. I think also that some of it is disabled for competitive mode - correct me if I'm wrong - which would be where it counted.

It does and will take some getting used to though but as I mentioned in other post, I think it will attract the 1.6 community eventually.

8. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

How is it from an accessability point of view?

I have zero experience with CS 1.6 and about an hours worth of experience with CS Source. With the new match making features and all the other tweaks it seems like a great time to see what gives it such legendary status.

As I never knew anyone who played the game I never tried to pick it up as playing on random servers in a game with such a high skill cap and competitive scene sounded like a recipie for misery.

Is there any point picking it up if you aren't already a master? I know I'll suck to high heaven but I have an urge to play a shooter again and for ten quid it seems perfect.

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Being a CS 1.6 (or perhaps rather CS:CZ) afficionado myself CS:GO handling like 1.6 rather than CS:Source can only be a good thing. I simply never could get into CS:S. It just always felt "off" somehow.

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Love how the most important details in this game are sooooo specific, like hit registration and bullet sound effects!

11. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

It's specific things which make a good shooter. Like jets that fly 10mph ;).

The registration in BF3 is probably worse overall in fairness. lol. What's a game without good sound effects anyway?

Look at GT5.

12. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

I think im going to pick this up. I stopped playing CS after 1.6 when CS:S came out and thus have never played CS:S. I played 1.6 religiously and played in many clans, leagues, LAN tournaments etc... so im hoping that I can get back some of that excitement from CS:GO!

At a tenner its got to be worth a go I suppose. We will see

13. Digi

Valve rarely (ever?) make a dud and CS:GO seems to be going the right direction. The latest update proves they are willing to listen to the community and change fairly 'big' details to get it to play right so that's definitely worth a tenner imo. Even without my 13 years of playing CS as a bias..

14. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

It's strange that most 1.6 fans gave up on Source. I had at least 2 to 3 years of solid fun out of it , and was a massive 1.6 player

15. Digi

Yup, I played since release and in the end played only source, it smoothed out a lot and was very decent tbh.

16. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I think the issue for source players are the hit boxes are more like 1.6 in the fact that they don't lag behind like they did in source. I still see a lot of people aiming behind players for lagging hit boxes like they do in source. People have to realize that the hit boxes for the most part have been fixed so now if you want to hit someone, you actually aim at them instead of slightly behind them like you could in source.

Another nice touch that I really like is the ability to take over bots if they're still alive. Makes waiting a lot easier, and generally bots are just stupid.

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Yes, definitely. Still the biggest problem about CS is the wait inbetween rounds with naff all to do. They should have a random minigame you can play inbetween. Or a random target practice mini game. that would be cool.

18. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

You mean like the 'grab a beer' mini-game I play?

Last edited: 21 Aug 2012
  19. Digi

This! +1 :thumb:

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just picked this up last night, should be isntalled by the time I get to play tonight. After a few years of playing CS:S fairly religiously I'm quite excited to try it out. I've always enjoyed Counter Strike for its twitchy, fast-paced gameplay and enjoy the round-based setup. It puts fun and competition first and reality second and in many ways I like that.

Can't wait for a good 5v5 on cs_assault.