1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Calling all Electricians! Oven problems...

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeK, 23 Aug 2012.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

This might be a bit of a long shot, however we're having problems with our oven - when heating up, the oven will trip the circuit breaker.

The Facts
    • It only trips the circuit breaker when heating up to temperatures around or over 200 degrees
    • It's been getting worse recently (i.e. it used to only trip out at high temperatures (240 degrees) but now it happens at lower temperature (200 degrees))
    • If you try to heat it straight to 210 (for example) it will trip the breaker 3 or 4 times. If you heat it to say 180 first and then increase the temperature slowly to 210 it may only trip once or twice.
    • The house was built in about 2004 so the oven is probably the original one that came with the house.
    • It does this regardless of how many other electrical appliances are on at the same time

My Questions
    • Does this sound like a problem with the oven or with the house's wiring? I don't want to buy a replacement oven only for this issue to carry on.
    • If it is the oven, does this sound fixable or does it sound like a new oven job?

I know very little about electrics in general - if it helps the circuit breaker that trips is the 4th from the left in this picture:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for the help

GK

2. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

i think the cooker is in 16amp by the looks of your pic, it needs to be swapped with the one next to it (32amp)

3. GeorgeK

How would you go about that? (Like I said above - no idea at all about electrics...)

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I wouldn't mess around with the fuses, it may well be a 16Amp in there because the wiring can't take anymore, so if you switched it to a 32A fuse, you may burn the house down when the wiring catches fire before the fuse trips.

From my very very basic electrical knowledge, it could be the oven, drawing too much, or it could be the wiring, if its got damaged or something.

If you can find out what Wattage the cooker is, you'll be able to calculate its current draw.

When we had a new kitchen fitted, we had to have a new fuse box, cable and earth cable fitted because the new oven was more powerful than the old one and would have overloaded the current box or something, and the existing cable wasn't man enough to handle the current.

5. GeorgeK

It's a 2.8kw oven so that means nowhere near 16amps doesn't it?

6. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Its the elements in your oven. The getting worse part tells you this. They draw more current for less heat when worn or going faulty.

Get someone out to look at it.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Do not touch the electrics if you do and there is a problem (fire etc) And insurance company found out you will not get a penny.

I am not an electrician. But if the cooker worked for sometime and then just started to do this and has gotten worse. Then it sounds like the cooker is the blame.

Your best and only option is to get an electrician in. Who will check the ampriage draw from the cooker as well as check the fuse. This of course is not going to come cheap.

A one time callout might be needed. Is your place rented? if so your land lord is the person who needs to be making the call.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Stop, don't do anything if you do not know what you are doing, acquire the assistance of a professional.

I know something about this subject and can give you some assistance but you should totally seek a professional near you.

The one that trips is the forth from left to right? It looks like a residual-current circuit breaker. What is the value behind the A? Is it 80? Is your installation 230V? Do you know what is the power rating on your oven?

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just about to say exactly this - it sounds like the thermostat circuit has gone a bit mad and is shorting at high temperature differentials (i.e. Heating from cold is more troublesome than from warm).

Get an electrician/appliance chap out to have a look at it, it might be rescue-able yet. :)

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Do as he said mate!!

I just realised it's the RCD thats tripping I didnt look properly. The over all draw is greater than the RCD is designed for. I'd say the cooker is the cause! But only a sparky will be able to find out.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

If it is the RCD that is tripping then the current drawn is not problem. The others should trip sooner since it looks like it is an 80A device. What scares me is that you may have some kind of current leak. Be very careful while touching the oven.

12. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Eep your right.

13. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

there is a earth failure in your cooker somewhere, the insulation inside the heating element is probably damaged, or you can be in luck and have only some damaged insulation on a wire inside there..

get someone qualified to check out the cooker.

(I`m a qualified electrician BTW)

Also, it is not dangerous to touch the oven, the RCD is there to protect you... uncomfortable, YES. will kill you, NO.

14. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

remove cover of box after you have turned the mains off at box, you should have another mains switch before the fusebox as well somewhere- turn that off too, take your cooker wire off the 16amp breaker its on now(there is a little screw on bottom of breaker) and swap with the socket wires that are on the 32amp breaker nextdoor, if it still not working after it will probley be the 80amp breaker or your cooker is broke. good luck!
    ps if you not comfortable with removal of fuse cover, get sparky in.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I would emphasize the part that you should NOT do this if you are not comfortable with it.
    It is better to spend some money on an electrician than to spend it in repairing your burnt house and/or getting yourself killed.

16. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

will not help, the problem is the earth failure that is drawing more than 30mA...

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Indeed, that or it has no earth on cable that gets to the oven.

edit: That or he has one of the phase or neutral wires touching the carcass of the oven, thus creating a current leak that trips the RCD.

Indeed, unless the RCD jams or you have a weak heart. Current leaks are not fun.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2012
  18. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

I`m not really sure what type power system he has, but phase to N will normally cause a short circuit, and that would be the circuit-breakers job.

19. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

Do Not Change The MCB.

If you can't tell me the Ze, Zs, R1+R2 and the csa of the circuit, then you can't do it without risking burning down your house.

If you also can't point to your 236, 2330 and 2391 qualifications and your Part-P scheme provider, you can't do it without voiding your insurance and making it much more difficult to sell the house (well actually you can, but it's difficult to prove your competence, and you will find notifying building control and having them come and inspect it both time consuming and a lot more costly then just employing an electrician.)

and it won't help anything as the RCD is tripping not the MCB so you will have gone to a lot of expense for the fun of wasting time/money/invalidation of insurance etc.

Now for the helpful bit

What is tripping is your RCD, it's there to save your life... Don't mess with it. They /very/ rarely become too sensitive and trip without cause (see: Almost Impossible)

It trips when you get a current between your live conductors and earth (>30mA).

Solution:

You can get the cooker tested for leakage current, which will tell you if the element has broken down or the controls are shorting etc.

Or get a IR test done on the circuit, which will tell you if the cables have broken down

IANYE (like IANYL but more electrician biased) but my opinion:

If you're practical, Strip it, and check for burnt/dirty connections, you aren't looking for a short, just grease or something on a connection or damage to the elements...

My money is on the cooker... it normally is, you can attempt to fix it it works sometimes but has the plus side of it normally being fairly cheap for new elements/controls as required...

If you want to be 100% that a new cooker will sort it get the circuit tested... It shouldn't cost much.

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

This is what I love about bit-tech. Someone needs electrical help? BLAM!! Here is is some electrical help!