1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Screwed by E-tailer

Discussion in 'General' started by Kernel, 7 Oct 2012.

1. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I bought a code from an E-tailer in July for GW2, been playing it fine since then.

Reinstalled my computer last night and tried to play GW2 but kept coming up with errors.

Mailed support, and was asked to supply my product key and received the following email back.

Code was paid for with my visa debit card through moneybookers

Reviews and comments about this e-tailer have been reasonably good, emailed their support this morning but had nothing back.

Where do I stand with this??

2. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Update:

Received a refund from the company, and I will mention the name now it was Digisub.co.uk

Below is the transcript from their live chat
    Now I am grateful I got a refund so quick and effortlessly but still pretty pissed.
    I now have to buy the game again, for about a fiver more.
    The explanation of faulty codes was poor considering ArenaNet told me they were purchased with a stolen card.
    His attitude was really poor after the refund.
    And to top it off, I had to ask for an apology.

Be warned steer clear of Digisub!

3. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Just... Wow... I didn't know they still made arrogance like that any more!

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Only in companies that buy stolen codes or use stolen credit cards to buy codes apparently...

5. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Ah good.. I was worried we'd have to go on a "How to be the best **** you can be" training course..

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Sweet, an online support that ain't based in Bangalore, they can afford to be assholes :-/

7. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have been struggling with this same company with regard to BitDefender codes.

I have received one that was for the wrong version - 2009 rather than 2013, one that was invalid (they gave the code to another customer by mistake...) and finally one that works - although how long before they give this code to another customer?

They refuse to refund me.

8. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

I slightly side with the retailer here just on this one point: that you bought the code, got refunded and therefore are not out of pocket and that you don't have to buy the game again.

Everything else though was pretty terrible. Period.

Vote with your wallet.

9. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Funny how they just gave you a refund ( effectively cancelling any purchase contract with them ) without asking if you wanted one. Seems they know they're in the wrong and any complaints are handled with a refund before it can be taken any further.

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Seriously, inform trading standards!

The immediate refund indicates to me they KNEW the codes were bad.

11. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I side with the retailer here, removed due to opening a tin of worms.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2013
  12. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

That's a bit harsh! Surely there is no harm in trying to find a cheaper price - I wasn't aware that this was moronic! :eyebrow:

13. Scroome

Scroome Modder

The Bit-tech user without sin, can cast the fierce tone.

What was moronic about any way he went or feels about this situation?

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I did agree with one comment they made, he basically had been playing the game for free one he was given his refund.

If he wants to rebuy and has to pay more I don't think it's their fault if they were given a bunch of faulty codes, and he bought it during some kind of sale or whatever (hence why they cost more now)

Sure it would be nice of them to honour the sale price, but it's not outrageous that they didn't, he got his money back he hasn't lost anything (apart from virtual progress I guess if his account got banned? although he could probably get it unbanned if he contacted the people in charge of the game etc)

So I wouldn't say this is terrible, poor customer service maybe, since he didn't apologise profusely, but he wasn't exactly rude either in my opinion.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2013
  15. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I have to agree. It is a tad harsh. He was shopping around for a cheaper price. What's moronic about that? The retailer is obviously showing poor customer service and disregard any future business from the customer. If it was delt with in a polite manner and the customer service agent apologised for the problem and said at this stage it was unable to help in any way as they have been let down by their supplier.

There's ways of dealing with customer service issues like this and the agent did nothing to help the situation.

16. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

I think the point is that the seller is defrauding the buyer and the supplier. I will avoid like the plague!

17. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Just another way we can all get screwed over with digital d/loads, online activation and everyday online confirmation, you pay your money and they have all the control over your game.

What if they didn't want to give a refund, what can you do, nothing but buy the game again if you want it, how convenient. :grr:

18. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

You also appear to have got a very good deal initially, and that goes back to "if it sounds too good to be true" rule which leads to:

Consider yourself lucky that they didn't just up and disappear or tell you to claim it on your card insurance (which you don't have on a Visa). I've had that happen before. If you ever have a transaction done to a supplier that you don't 100% trust then you need to use a credit card for that reason.

I don't understand this whole "not even an appology" nonsense, but in the moment I'm sure you were very upset, and you're only human. I think its a British thing.

No this is a perfect example why there SHOULD be this control. If that wasn't the case then a game designer would have been out of pocket. And lets say this was for 10,000 copies (which it wasn't but worst case scenario), thats maybe £200,000 in revenue lost when the funds are withdrawn. That could make the difference between being able to pay for support and updates for the game in the future. Crime costs the industry money, and that money will in the end affect the customer in some format.

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Agreed, but:

It isn't Kernel's fault he got a faulty, illegitimate or stolen code and that the e-tailer was duped should be something that they take very seriously. I wouldn't want my business tarnished by that - you need to give reassurances.

Now they obviously knew where they stood by giving a refund, but by not starting off in a more polite manner - other than the automatic first response - you are never going to be on anything but the defensive. It took way too long to answer his question for instance.

If you start off by apologising then most people will relax, take the back foot and be more lenient. Then you can take the opportunity to say; we are really sorry, we can't offer that price any more. Rather than using an offensive method of defence by saying things like:

You've basically played the game for free for a few months

That is a fair enough statement in context with "we are really sorry. There was an issue with our codes. Effectively we have had to refund all codes purchased through this specific reseller at that price."

Obviously it is easy to retrospectively tear this apart. He might have had a bad day. He might have had this issue up to his ears. He may also just be one of those not too rare sorts that always gives blunt answers, particularly by SMS, email, livechat ete, but by approaching it this way, you are able to finally deny the customer the original price, within the bounds of the law, without coming across as blunt, un-emphatic and dismissive:

"I'm sorry Sir. As it appears that this reseller was unable to supply the goods at that price and we have refunded the full amount, we retain the right as a retailer to demand a price for our goods. We are still cheaper than other sites/distributors, and you may as you wish purchase at the correct price of £xx.xx. We apologise for any inconvenience."

(do I have too much time on my hands or what)

20. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I think we might be looking at this from different sides.

I believe that Kernel was speaking to the reseller when he got the refund.

My point is based on the idea that its the reseller who has refunded him, and that he has done this because the games company has cancelled his codes because his payment never cleared.

This means that the fault lies with the reseller and the reseller has now refunded the money and has been shirty with Kernel.

But from a personal point of view:

a) I will not be shopping at Digisub based on this, seeing at they seem to have a dodgy issue here somewhere, and at some point that will bite someone in the ass.
    b) They might be down the pan already in which case good customer service doesn't really matter as you won't be returning anyway.

But yeah I agree that a nice bit of ass kissing at the beginning makes the whole thing go down a bit better, but I still don't understand why there is this "I deserve an apology" thing. By the point that we're at it changes nothing.