Motherboards Fast post/booting with Win8

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 6 Nov 2012.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hello,

I am looking for a motherboard that POST/boot super fast. Like OEM systems running Windows 8, or something very close. Basically I don't want the super long booting:

This fast (or close to it):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc_PXEpq5ic&t=0m24s

Not this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LbodgChn7w

Anyone knows? Or do you have any info in this fast booting technology?
    I know Win8 does a part hibernation system when the system shutdown. But if you look at the system turns on. It's like the UEFI POST process is instant.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2012
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's specific to Win 8 and needs motherboard and UEFI support. We have it on our R2.0 and some P8Z77-V boards, but I'm not sure of the technical details but basically as long as you don't unplug anything it doesn't need to recheck the ports, memory and RAID stuff and just assumes existing settings:

(I directed it :D)

Because this mod has such a fast boot process you need to press a button or use software to go into the BIOS (which is also why we suggested re-purposing the reset button to be a 'BIOS' button, depending on what you need more)

3. GoodBytes

Cool! Thanks

Basically I am looking into a motherboard with instant boot, USB 3.0, eSATA (3 or 6Gbps), solid capacitor, ferrite chocks, OK OC or better, I do not care about Intel graphic solution (so in the back panel outputs doesn't mater) and doesn't cost a few kidneys (like I am not willing to spend 500-700$ on a motherboard, is my point).

[edit]
    Ouu the P8Z77-V DELUXE has all I need (if it has instant boot, would be cool to know for sure).
    Does anyone have other cheaper suggestions?
    [/edit]

4. GoodBytes

@Bindibadgi, I just learned that a friend of mine has the P8Z77-V. He is running Win8, he did an upgrade, he is not getting anything close to the video speed. I assume a clean install of WIn8 is needed, am I right?

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Here is the list of motherboards supported: http://event.asus.com/mb/windows_8/#feature

It does depend on the configuration - the biggest lags are if you are using several SSD/HDD, booting from a HDD not SSD, using a PCIe GPU not Intel graphics and your monitor power up speed also affects it. We list the configs in the video. It's largely regardless of who you buy, because the basic BIOS code has to be executed in all cases, so we just add the extra stuff like software, buttons, pin-outs to add functionality.

To get DirectKey, these are the motherboards that have it (I just came into work to ask):

Intel Platform
    P9X79 LE

AMD Platform
    CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
    SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
    M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    M5A99X EVO R2.0
    M5A97 EVO R2.0
    M5A97 R2.0
    F2A85-V PRO
    F2A85-M PRO

6. GoodBytes

Thanks!

Ok well the system will possibly have an SSD and 1 W.D Caviar Black 1TB, and an Nvidia GPU (I know that the GTX 200 series and 400 series, takes ages to boot. I don't know if this was fixed with either the 500 or 600 series, or if ASUS did some tricks to solve this from the reference design).

DirectKey is one of those feature, to me, that is nice to have, but not important. Meaning if I had to pick between 2 motherboards with the same or similar specs, at the same price, I would probably pick the one with DirectKey. The reason, is I never actually go in much in the BIOS, I am not those type of extreme OC guys.

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I have an ASRock B75 Pro3-M system that POSTs as fast as the first video shows even without any "fast boot" features activated and with a 1 second delay on the "press del to enter setup" prompt. That system uses the onboard GPU.

My main system with a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H takes a few seconds longer to POST, likely due to my old Radeon 4870. There is a delay before the logo is displayed.

Both systems have the separate SATA controllers and network boot features and such disabled, and they are set to boot straight from the SSD.

The ASRock system starts up Windows 8 after the dots loop around once, and I can see a brief flash of the pre-desktop loading screen. The Gigabyte system starts up after two loops (it was just one loop before I installed the Asus Xonar drivers) and the loading screen doesn't show at all -- it goes straight to the desktop.

I don't have hybrid boot enabled though. It's because I actually run Windows Server 2012 on both computers, and it doesn't have hybrid boot enabled by default (and I haven't bothered to set it up as the systems boot so fast already). I run Server because I get it for free as a student from Dreamspark.

Updating the BIOS/UEFI might speed it up a bit (or possibly add some fast boot features) so that's worth doing.

So yeah, from personal experience I can say that at least ASRock and Gigabyte use pretty fast UEFIs.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hey Bindi.

Any chance you'll release an updated BIOS for those with last gen boards? I have the (not inexpensive!) P8Z68 Deluxe and it would be a nice feature to be added.

Currently it takes ages to boot (even with an SSD and new install)

9. GoodBytes

It would seam that in order to get any sort of instant/fast boot, you need a GPU that support something called "GOP". So far only Intel integrated graphics support it.

EVGA says that will support it in the "near future" for their GTX 600 series from Nvidia, but that is all. This was on a forum post a admin (EVGA_JacobF).
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1767531&mpage=1

10. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

my pc uses the old BIOS (non UEFI) with a Gigabyte board and boots up in about 30-40 seconds.

first things I notice is your current board does not have SATA 3
    from the BIOS screen you are using a Samsung HDD a for a boot drive ?

you are prompted at least 3 times to hit a button to continue

if everything is set up correctly in the BIOS you shouldn't get aprompting to continue so much

Last edited: 10 Nov 2012
  11. GoodBytes

The video presented is not my system by a long shot. This is just a video I found on YouTube to represent the traditional BIOS boot sequence.

In my case, the time it take for my system from me pressing the power button to when the OS loads is (so no OS load): 27sec

GPU boot: 17sec (This is the big problem)
    Windows 7 (to desktop): 13sec
    The entire process with Win7: 42sec
    Measurements are not scientific, they were where measured by me, so allow 1-2sec of errpr per measurement.

In my case, I do get the "press any key" to continue only when my external HDD (on eSATA) is turned on. If it's not turned on, I see the the screen, but it shows "none" for the HDD, and you just wait a few seconds. If I disable the eSATA controller, this screen is gone. For me it doesn't bother me. I am just doing some research as a friend ask me to build him a computer, and I was looking into trying to provide the best experience (not performance, his not playing games) possible. Measurement above is when my external HDD is turned off.

I know that my X-Fi adds several second to the start process of Windows. I don't know if the Xonar face the same thing.

In my system, I have:
    -> OCZ Vertex 4 250GB (Windows + Program + Games + AppData + Currently working projects)
    -> Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (backup + old projects + music, etc.)
    both are connected to the Intel controller SATA-2 connectors.

12. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

42 seconds is plenty fast for me

I wouldn't want windows 8 myself TBH I really don't like it.

I think any UEFI BIOS would boot faster than our old outdated gigabyte BIOS LOL

13. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

my current motherboard takes fricken 20 seconds to get past post. it's the biggest lag on my boot.

Not sure why you want to get fast boot like that on a desktop though. If you want the boot so fast to dosomething quick, why not just do it on a iphone/ipad.

orrrrrr..... build a tablet OS onto a desktop. LOL

14. GoodBytes

Yea, but my laptop, 4 years old, boots to Win7 and much faster with Win8, much faster.
    And now system with Intel GPU + Win8, boots virtually instantly.

15. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

i wouldn't mind it if the hadn't made such drastic and pointless GUI changes like moving the start button to somewhere else. After 15 years of windows, I don't think I will ever get used to have the start button turn into a fancy dashboard.

Would have been great to have a feature where you can have all the win8 advances but with the windows 7 desktop environment. I'm sure there will be GUI modders out there who will hack the registery to allow something like that.

16. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

if metro was optional and I could use a proper desktop like windows 7
    I would have no problems using windows 8.

But its not so I am not going to bother.

thing is, MS knew this would be the case but they did it anyway :wallbash: same as they did with windows home server v2 when they removed drive extender and everyone who was waiting for it said they didn't want it anymore lol even OEM's

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Turn it on make a cup of tea/ coffee come back, then you don't notice boot times.

There is no modern bios( uefi ) for the x58 CPU range you will be looking at a sandy or ivy CPU. Don't know of any manufacture who even makes a x58 board anymore the last major release was around the 990x release.

A faster boot time is not worth £3-400 that it would cost to head ivy with similar CPU power.( cheapest hyperthreading CPU been 2/3rds of the cost.)

18. GoodBytes

It's not about ME, it's about the computer I am building for someone. Current his HP computer, proudly running Vista, somehow with 1 GB of RAM, and HDD, gets to desktop faster than my system, because the boot process doesn't take ages. Same for my 4 year old laptop.
    It doesn't look nice. It's like, yay you just spent 1k on a system that, at first impression, is slower than your over 6 years old system.

My BIOS has "EFI mode", to support large HDDs, but I don't know if it makes the POST process faster, as I need to format and install Win8 to use it. I current don't have the time for this due to university, although I am trying.

It's not for me. I plan to keep Mr. Compy for many, many years.
    I will be building a computer for someone, I am just doing research now, and I want to provide him with the best experience possible.

It can't be optional. If it is, you lose out on Metro, and your experience won't be consist throughout devices which defeats the purpose of Win8.

It will not change, at all. This new concept is set in stone.

Wait.. so the average consumer, which I remind you are really liking Win8, have no trouble using it and enjoying it. Yet, you have a problem? Mr, Tech expert with years of experience. :/
    Again, it won't change any time soon. Expect Windows 9, 10 to continue with this concept. Of course it will improve as Microsoft collects more telemetry data, and received more genuine complaints. But the concept will stay the same.

19. identikit

identikit Minimodder

That's like saying it takes me twice as long to put on a 5 point harness in this Ferrari than the seatbelt in my old Ford Focus, therefore the Ferrari is slower.

20. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

The last one I built with the following spec boots to desktop from the time I hit the power button in 17 seconds :D

Mobo, ZOTAC H67ITX-D-E
    Nvidia onboard GT520 GPU
    cpu i5 2500k
    Crucial M4 128gb SSD
    8gb DDR3 SO-DIMM
    Win 7 64

So with win 8 should be faster

Last edited: 10 Nov 2012