1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Build now or wait?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by volc25, 29 Nov 2012.

1. volc25

volc25 What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I am about to sell my laptops and go back to having a desktop pc for computer use and then use my tablet for mobile browsing in the house

I was wondering shall I build a pc now, I will be buying parts mainly at once and I have the money now or should I hold out a month and wait till the January sales?

I will be buying online more than likely, unless I see a better deal in a shop.

I havent built a computer since PCI Express first came on the scene so I have had to do some research to get back up to scratch, is there any thing I should really be aware of?

Thanks
    Matt

2. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

What is your budget?
    Main uses for PC?

January sales don't really happen for online PC bits.
    You will never get a better deal in a 'shop'

3. Strudul

Strudul ~

If you start waiting, then you will just keep finding something else to wait for (AMD 8XXX is due for Q1/2).

Buy now or you will be forever stuck in a loop of waiting.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

While we know that the Radeon 8000 series, GeForce 700 series, and Intel 4th generation CPU is coming, sadly we have no info about anything, not even rumors about anything. Companies are keeping, so far, very secretive. All we know is that some or all Intel Haskel (4th gen Core i series), will be soldered on the motherboard. No longer changeable. Personally I think its for laptops, and perhaps low end model. But it's just speculations.

December is an OK time to buy. Specials are there but prices does increase, but you do have some exception where some products are really good price. Summer period is the time to buy for the best deals

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Do it now. As was said there is no January sales on line.

Anything to be aware of? Buy a good power supply. With the current efficiency of parts you could well make do with a smaller power supply than you might think. Intel are making the best mid and high end processors at the moment. You need to have a cpu with a k in the name in order to overclock it. The nvidia GTX 670 is close to the GTX 680 for a bit less money and the difference between the top AMD and Nvidia graphics card is coming down to whoever has the best drivers out at the time.

AMD could well release a graphics card at the start of the year but that would be the only thing I would wait for if I were in your position.

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Only reason to hold out would be "boxing week" sales. I saved myself almost 200 dollars by ordering all my stuff from the NCIX boxing week sales, and got free shipping. No point waiting for the next best thing unless your current system has no issues. If you spent the money on mid and high end stuff now, it'll last for a good amount of time.

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

- Next up is Haswell.
    - This concerns Broadwell, which comes after Haswell.
    - It's just a rumor so far.

biojellywobbles and GoodBytes like this.
  8. jaydeee

jaydeee What's a Dremel?

I would also buy now specially if your current computers are not good enough for you. Just consider your future use of the computer.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes, you are correct. +rep.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The only thing i would consider waiting for is maybe Haswell, which should be released sometime in March 2013. But you will have to settle for mainstream boards; ASUS Maximus and other highend boards will be released few months later like usual.

Waiting for the graphics card is pointless unless there is a confirmed release date in next 1-2 weeks.

11. volc25

volc25 What's a Dremel?

Budget is £500 for the tower unit only.

Might hold off on the graphics card for now as I am getting a intel i3 2550, these now have GPU's inside them dont they, then after a month of so after I get paid again im a going to add a PCI-Express AMD GT5680 for £140 from Decembers edition of Custom PC.

Im not holding out for better tech, im holding out for better prices but after reading what you guys think I might just buy now.

12. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The prices of old gen tech don't usually go down even if newer tech is released. It is almost never worth it to buy old tech, unless going second hand.