1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Best value 256GB SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terrorbyt, 8 Dec 2012.

1. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Hey, as per this thread I started a few weeks back http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=251390&page=2

I've decided I'd like to upgrade my new ultrabook's storage capacity from 120GB to at least double that so I'm looking for a 256GB SSD. Now obviously I'd like to sell the intel SSD that's currently in my ultrabook. It's this: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...nal/solidstate/upto128gb/ssdsc2cw120a3k5.html

How much can I expect to get for it do you think? It has a few weeks use on it so far, and I will want to sell it in January (no later than end of Jan). Also, what 250GB SSDs would you guys recommend?

2. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

3. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

4. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Thanks, that SanDisk does look really good. I'm looking to buy in January anyway so hopefully I'll see it on sale :)

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hmm... you know it's an asynchronous memory base SSD, and not a synchronous, hence the 3 year warranty and not 5, and also, hence why it's cheaper.

synchronous SSD provides you with:
    -> Significantly more write amount (that is why they usually come with a 5 year warranty)
    -> Benchmarks reflect more real world results.

It's not a bad SSD at all. I just wanted to mention it, so that you know, based on your usage, if it is a problem or not. For example, if you do software developer. Compiling is very write intensive. And a developer, you usually compile A LOT within a single day. So a synchronous SSD is a must, for a drive that will stay healthy for many many years to come (5+).

6. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

Not much happens is the world of computers in the January sales to be honest.

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Crucial M4, Samsung 830/840, Intel 520 are my pick, i know there are other drives available, Vertex 4 get's good grades for example, but in reality, 256GB drives are dropping in price quiet regularly, Especially the M4 and 830.

Sam

8. GoodBytes

Samsung 840 is a disaster.
    -> TLC memory is used instead of MLC.. those are very cheap memory.
    -> Under performs
    -> Expensive
    -> High failure rate (probably due to the TLC chips) / quality production problem

If you want a Samsung SSD, stick with the 830.

9. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Which SSD are you referring to? Also I can't see any mention on how long the warranties are for each SSD. I had no idea about the disadvantages of asynchronous SSDs, thanks for letting me know.

Also... I'll steer clear of the 840s!

10. GoodBytes

I was talking about the SanDisk Extreme.
    For the warranty some online stores says others don't. Check the manufacture web site of the SSD to know, or look at another online store that gives you that info, and purchase it where you prefer.

I can't give you any links, as I have no idea beside Scans of any other U.K online stores.
    I am in Canada. :)

11. GoodBytes

oh another SSD to add to the list: the brand new OCZ Vortex.