1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Skyrim online

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Archtronics, 8 Jan 2013.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

MMOs have kind of lost their appeal. I hate the subscription based ones as it means I have to play a hell of a lot to get value for money. I also hate the Free To Play ones as they just seem a relentless exercise in trying to get you to pay for stuff.

I quite like the Guild Wars type approach where you put your investment up front but even that barely hides the fact they want you to 'buy gold'.

If they had made a Fallout MMO then I would be on it, but I am not sure I have the stomach for yet another 'fantasy world' MMO!

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I dont like the fact that subscription and also most other mmos are designed to be addictive, just to get your money.

4. B_HERB

B_HERB What is this..A CENTER FOR ANTS?!

Yeah...the traditional subscription based model is dying (thankfully) in favor of f2p, which is also losing its appeal for the reason Jedra just mentioned. I understand there are reasons for charging a monthly fee or employing a naggy f2p model beyond a quick cash grab, (server maintenance, expansions,etc) but I just hate it when I feel like I'm obligated to play a game. I remember playing EVE Online for 6 months and had to stop because it felt like I had a second job. I don't like Guild Wars 2 but I think they have the right idea. Pay upfront, no subscriptions, and have in-game items available for additional purchase. Heck, i'd be willing to pay a larger upfront fee (say $100) as long as it meant subs and f2p options were off the table.

I'm sure that I'll end up buying Elder Scrolls Online and probably enjoy it. But the longevity of my subscription (if that is their intention) will be determined by how much I'm enjoying the game. As soon as I feel the grind, it's over. It'll be interesting to see if this game is a true draw for Elder Scrolls and MMO fans alike. I certainly hope they can pull it off.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2013
  5. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

Whilst these kind of games do seem appealing, you have to put quite a bit of time into them to go anywhere. That just isn't time I have anymore, so it could be another title I may have to skip.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Fallout MMO would be tempting another fantasy genre mmo no thanks.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

There's already a thread on this, you'll notice the Forbes article is also several months old, but this thread is about as long as the first one already so oh well.

My sentiments are still the same: not at all excited for this. Just another exercise of how much money Bethesda can put into marketing and fueling the hype machine with the success of previous TES games. Modify Skyrim for online play and make a bigger world. Job's done. Half their players won't notice and the other half won't care as long as the big review sites say it's good.

Regarding subscription model, my money's on F2P. With the number of F2P MMOs being produced it's getting harder to tell a customer they have to pay $15 a month, even if they end up spending $15 on an in game shop anyway. Tell Joe Public Skyrim fan that for a flat $60 he can join a wonderful online Elder Scrolls world and your job's done. Added bonus, if it flops after release plenty of money will still have been made up front.

8. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

I like the idea of an MMO of Skyrim. I've not really played much of Elder Scrolls since Morrowind and even that I got bored of quickly. The games are great but, well, funnily enough their style begs to be Online and as they are not I get bored very quickly ofthem - would be much more fun with others. Not even necessarilly as an MMO but just to be able to play with a group would make it much more fun.

Course I am also Pro subscription fees. I hate f2p models which make you feel like you need to buy stuff (ironically costing more than a sub). I pay £6 a month for Rift, if I play for no more than a couple hours in an entire month I get my money's worth, heck I can't even buy a couple pints or go to the Cinema for that so I really don't feel much pressure to play, and usually I play FAR more than that.

I am liking the idea of this MMO because I like Fantasy MMOs and so does the wife, given that she is burnt out on Rift I need another MMO for us to play, in reality the only successful fantasy MMO out is WoW and I really hate that game so something else would be good (I still play and enjoy Rift, but without the wife playing I find game time drastically reduced).

Problem is, the combat in Elder Scrolls with active blockingetc. is a lot of fun, but I fear for an MMO the will dilute combat into all the other MMO styles which pretty much wipes out a lot of the reasons the game would be refreshing

9. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Nope, not interested. Not interested at all.

The loneliness on your travels is what made TES for me. That's also why I never traveled with a companion in Skyrim. It breaks all immersion for me.
    Disregarding gameplay, the subscription model and all that stuff - I think that even on this most basic level, the game simply wouldn't be a true TES game, but just another fantasy MMO (that's destined to go F2P after a few months or so).
    It's pretty hard to immerse yourself in the atmosphere of a bleak and hostile world when there's 20 argonians and a pink-haired high elf bunnyhopping around half-naked on the road.

10. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Exactly.

The Elder Scrolls (for me) have always been about the adventure of discovering things on your own. The feeling of power when you level up and realising that you're a kickass person compared to the NPCs.

The last thing I want is for that special feeling to disappear, when I have to share my world with other people........who also think they're the 'chosen one'. It's a baaaad mix.

11. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

I'm in a similar boat to Scroome on this one, I'm remain to be convinced by this; I've always enjoyed the solitary adventurer experience of Skyrim, and have never been much of a fan off MMOs at all (WoT being about the only one I've enjoyed). Really hope they either don't **** this up or keep the core Elder Scrolls series going with similar dedication.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

The fact the article is 1 year + old suggests this may of been put on the back burner as any mmo thats hoping to enter the current market would need some hype build up to have any chance of sucess.

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It would need a lot more than hype.

The Old Republic had hype, it had hype oozing from every orifice. Still didn't make enough people put down WoW.

I think WoW has turned out to be the MMO's equivalent of Counter Strike, it's got it so right that the only way to make people look away is to do something completely different, except MMOs are so expensive players usually subscribe to just one. With any luck Bethesda will have looked at the cost and thought better of it.

14. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Oh cool another MMO because it's not over saturated by mediocrity or anything.